Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Hidden Gems

So the last few games should have revealed to most of you that we need help within our second unit. This year has yielded some very successful D-League players. I think we should use 10 day contracts to our advantage and give one a look. Here's some of the guys I had in mind:

Anthony Mason Jr: Yes. It's Mase's son. They play nothing alike though and they're body types couldn't be any more different. He's skinny, lanky and athletic. A slasher who's decent but not great from outside. Went to St Johns and had a pretty good career.

Morris Almond: Yes...this guy again! I think almost ALL of us wanted him to be a Knick when he played for us during Summer League. He performed very well but for some reason never got a shot. He's dropping 23 a game in the D-League.

Curtis Stinson: New York native! Exactly 2 years older than me(same bday). I grew up watching him play in HS. I've seen him play in various tournaments. I've seen him destroy guys with big time names. He's a scoring guard who can dish the rock. Stronger than most PGs. Has a game like Jamaal Tinsley and Charles Jenkins but with a better jump shot. Was a big time scorer at times @ Iowa St. Former D-League MVP.

JamesOn Curry: More of a scoring pg. Gets red hot at times.Drops 24 and 6 a game.

Ronald "Flip" Murray: Veteran guard who's had his fair share of big time games in the NBA. Not sure exactly how he can't make an NBA team.

DJ Kennedy: Played at St Johns and kinda was Mason Jr's predecessor. Plays kinda like Mason Jr. Less of an offensive threat but a better defender and a more NBA ready body.

Brandon Costner: Only reason he isn't in the NBA is because he came out too early. Played at NC State. Nobody really knew who he was. Left handed. Reminds me of Derrick Coleman (not as good obviously).

Derrick Byars: long range shooter with hops. I remember wanting to draft him in the 2nd round the year he came out.

Sean Williams: Never stuck in the league because of previous off the court problems. He's an extremely athletic guy with big time shot blocking ability. When I say big time, I mean BIG TIME. You might rmemeber him from his time with Dallas and NJ.

Brian Butch: Like a 6'11" Steve Novak lol Deadly from 3. Probably won't step foot in the post. He'll give you more in the rebounding dept though. He gets 16 rpg in the D-League.

Derrick Caracter: This kid has all the talent in the world. In 8th grade he was playing against guys that are in the NBA now. He got some really bad advise. Went to Louisville. Then transferred to UTEP and played with Randy Culpepper(who is better right now than Douglas). He was with the Lakers and hurt his knee, then he got into an altercation at an IHOP and they waived him. He was about 6'7" in 8th grade and only grew one inch through HS. This kid had to be one of the best 8th graders I've ever seen in my life. I think he would immediately give us a low post scorer off the bench.He also is a pretty good rebounder. He could give Amare a spell. Sure, he's just a d-league guy, but I can assure you he has more low post moves than Amare, Chandler, Harrelson and Jeffries combined. He's like a 6'9" Eddy Curry before Curry got ridiculously out of shape.

BTW, I'd like to keep this thread going in the future so if you guys hve anyone to add, feel free. Theres a lot of untapped talent out there. GM's and scouts are just too lazy sometimes to uncover it and take a chance!

Last edited by franchize : 04-16-2012 at 04:26 PM.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Hidden Gems

I'm not commenting on the thread just yet, but are you looking to make this like an official free agent/draft thread?
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I'm not commenting on the thread just yet, but are you looking to make this like an official free agent/draft thread?
More like official "we should sign a D-League scrub and hope he isn't a scrub after all" thread.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

All of them could probably contribute more than Mike Bibby.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
More like official "we should sign a D-League scrub and hope he isn't a scrub after all" thread.

Better than sign a washed up veteran who we know is a scrub and hope he finds the fountain of youth.This was the same sentiment that I was hit with when I kept saying we should sign Gerald Green for the last 2-3 years. How's that working out now?

John Lucas III
Sundiata Gaines
Gerald Green
Gary Forbes
JJ Barea
Joel Anthony
Luke Harongody

All making impacts on their teams and cost very little to employ!

If it weren't for the D-league, D'Antoni would have probably ignored Melo's request to play Lin. It's a low risk, high reward situation. For a mere 10 day contract, you're getting a guy who's extremely hungry and that other teams have really no scouting report on. Beats playing Bibby and Douglas IMO. Guys we've seen prove time and time again that they do not belong on an NBA court anymore.

Last edited by franchize : 04-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity

Wasn't my initial intention but I do feel we need one. I liked the trades, rumors and thoughts thread but it was kinda too general. A Free Agency/ Draft/ Trades thread would be great!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Better than sign a washed up veteran who we know is a scrub and hope he finds the fountain of youth.This was the same sentiment that I was hit with when I kept saying we should sign Gerald Green for the last 2-3 years. How's that working out now?

John Lucas III
Sundiata Gaines
Gerald Green
Gary Forbes
JJ Barea
Joel Anthony
Luke Harongody

All making impacts on their teams and cost very little to employ!

If it weren't for the D-league, D'Antoni would have probably ignored Melo's request to play Lin. It's a low risk, high reward situation. For a mere 10 day contract, you're getting a guy who's extremely hungry and that other teams have really no scouting report on. Beats playing Bibby and Douglas IMO. Guys we've seen prove time and time again that they do not belong on an NBA court anymore.
I agree with you about D-League.
I'm all for signing some of those guys on a 10 day contract and see what they got.
Many of them are scrubs but there are D-League players who belong to the NBA.
Gerald Green for an example,he's better than most of our bench players,maybe even better than some starters (cough...Fields...cough).
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Wasn't my initial intention but I do feel we need one. I liked the trades, rumors and thoughts thread but it was kinda too general. A Free Agency/ Draft/ Trades thread would be great!
I'll fix it up once the topic gains a little more steam.

I like some of those names on the list you have as well.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Not enough white guys. [/racistScoooter]
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Not enough white guys. [/racistScoooter]
Brian Butch is white. I was going to say Harangody but Cleveland called him back up. O well.

Speaking of white guys, I think in the summer we should look at Ben Hansbrough. He's like a tougher version of Jimmer Fredette (what happened to that guy? lol We dodged a bullet there)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: