Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Quicker on some days then others??

somedays i feel so fast i get to play like john wall or tony parker, nothing but fast breaks, layups, etc...

but somedays i resort to playmaker/shooter because my first step just isnt there. i dont get it?

unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Quicker on some days then others??

Don't eat right before you play, always makes me lazy.
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

1. Good meal + water 3 hours before playing
2. Take the best bathroom break possible
3. Warm up
4. Play

I only stretch my legs and arms after I warm up. Otherwise I find stretching just increases injury risk for non-professional athletes.

Also, make sure you are on a solid lifting and cardio schedule to tune your body. That will help your consistency, among the other important benefits.

Also, you may not be bending your knees enough when dribbling all the time. Makes a big difference on your first step.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Gotta take into account what you've been doing throughout the day, the day before, and even what you're eating. Other times, you're probably feeling super fast because your muscles are well-rested, you ate good, and your nervous system isn't taxed by stress or whatever, and on other days, could be the complete opposite.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Kiarip
High School Starter

Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool

It has to do with a lot of things. But it's probably more mental than physical given you're not injured/fatigued/and are warmed up.

There's also random weird things like hormone cycles, and shit and those are largely out of your control. Mind-set is probably the biggest thing that makes a difference that people under-value.
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
2. Take the best bathroom break possible
3. Warm up
4. Play

I only stretch my legs and arms after I warm up. Otherwise I find stretching just increases injury risk for non-professional athletes.

Also, make sure you are on a solid lifting and cardio schedule to tune your body. That will help your consistency, among the other important benefits.

Also, you may not be bending your knees enough when dribbling all the time. Makes a big difference on your first step.
Solid post. Two things you mentioned I often find to be underrated: 1) Pre-game hydration and 2) Bending one's knees.

To be very honest, there's many times where I don't think much about water until my first game is coming to an end. By then, it's probably too late. There's a dramatic difference between arriving hydrated versus constantly chasing hydration.

The knees are also big for me ... in terms of actually using them. I've definitely had days where I don't warm up intensely enough, resulting in a sluggish start where I get into the habit of playing straight up i.e. not bending my knees enough when I run or dribble. I often like to bike to the basketball court or do lunges prior to activate and remind my body to stay low. The explosion I gain from bending my knees is dramatic. Suddenly I feel like everything is dunkable.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Before I play 5 on 5. I actually jog around the basketball court. I am actually much faster since I started to play 5 on 5 games thrice a week.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
I had to quote this one more time. I often play basketball right after I get off of work. I don't usually drink very much water at work because the fountain is too cold and the sink water does not taste too great. Also, for whatever other reason, I just didn't feel like bringing in a bottle for work purposes - I'd just save one in my car for basketball.

Anyway, obviously, not drinking much at work would clearly leave me in need of water before I even do a single thing on the basketball court. As such, I decided to switch it up on Friday and tried drinking a ton while at work, maybe more than I thought I needed, prior to basketball. And as it so happens, I had my springiest day of basketball all year. I'm usually not a consistently emphatic two-foot dunker but suddenly they were going down (with two hands) with ease, alongside my regular dunk occurring with more authority.

To be clear, I've fallen for the placebo effect before. The first time I ever dunked on someone, I ate hot dogs an hour before the game, so for a while I thought whatever horribleness was inside hot dogs somehow amped me up. But I feel like the water experiment could be a stronger correlation. I'll continue hydrating and try to see what happens from here.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't forget to stretch your legs before you play basketball.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Brandon Roy
Kids at the park dunk on me

Brandon Roy has an OK reputation so far

Get plenty of sleep. 7 to 8 hours is good.

Make sure to stretch heavily after you play, as well. This helps you recover for the next game/practice.

Make sure you're eating enough and getting enough water, too.
Brandon Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Eating a good meal and hydrating will not result in a placebo effect. Hot dogs??? :)
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: