Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #376
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Thread for the Socially Awkward

Why are you so desperate to get laughs from girls? What are you, 14?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #377
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Why are you so desperate to get laughs from girls? What are you, 14?

Because he's heard that girls like funny.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #378
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Because he's heard that girls like funny.
They do, but funny guys ain't getting the box unless they're confident.

Just be confident and say whatever comes to mind, dude. The laughs will come.

Confidence > forced humor. You're trying way too hard. Don't think; just act.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #379
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
They do, but funny guys ain't getting the box unless they're confident.

Just be confident and say whatever comes to mind, dude. The laughs will come.

Confidence > forced humor. You're trying way too hard. Don't think; just act.

I agree. Some guys just don't have that capability though. They are too methodical and want everything to have a formula. Unfortunately, bitches don't follow any laws of logic so dudes just end up overthinking things and losing in the end.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #380
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

Hmmm...i don't know dudes...if i just act natural then i usually don't have much to say and i just end up as a wallflower.

And i don't think it's a big deal to try to actively work on it like i am now...i mean dudes spend hours in the gym daily to better themselves physically and healthwise. And people spend hours with the books daily to try to better their career and grades.

So a little bit of time and effort into improving my social life seems worth it to me.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #381
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
Ok cool...here it is...

1. Well I know that quickness is obviously involved, so I've researched mental quickness improvement and have just started on the method that looks most promising.

2. I've been listening to comedy radio (Howard Stern and the Foxxhole)...And this is something i would do anyway, so it's not extra "work" or anything.

3. I just started doing a few exercises that I heard that they do in improv comedy classes. One is: Find any object (pen, glass, shoe, etc) and try to come up with as legitimate many uses for it as possible in two minutes - this involves lateral thinking, and quickness as well.

And idk, just from reading comedy forums and stuff, it seems like some people believe that it can be worked on.

Ok, some random tips for comedy in a group setting:

1. Timing is absolutely EVERYTHING. If you say something funny and nobody hears it, move on. I've seen people go "did you hear what i said?" and that just kills it. If you miss your chance to make a joke or comment about something, let it go rather than awkwardly saying it when it's too late

2. Don't make a conscious effort to draw attention to yourself. If you're being funny and somebody hears it, they'll start paying attention. Loud doesn't equal funny though, and nothing makes people feel more annoyed than someone who is blatantly TRYING to be funny and get attention. This is what I call the Dane Cook rule

3. Don't take anything from improv. Aside from classic Whose Line, improv is never funny and the only people entertained by it are usually the people in the improv group. In college there was an improv group that would always perform at the student union and whenever they would perform people would pick up their food/books/laptops and go somewhere else because they were annoying as f*ck

4. Funny is less funny when people are expecting funny. If you ever see threads on here where the title is "I dare you not to laugh" or "Funniest video I've ever seen", people will come in just to say how unfunny it is because the expectation is set too high. You gotta catch people off guard. Funny is funniest when it's unexpected

5. Don't think about what you're gonna say and don't try to tell long stories. If you get all tangled up in your words, can't remember what you were gonna say etc, you're gonna get blank stares. Even from the crickets. Like Ace said, say what comes naturally. One liners, observational humor...not stories. Stories get people waiting and waiting for a punchline that 9 times outta 10 doesn't live up to their expectations.

6. Don't be mean, rude or obnoxious. If you're with good friends that you have an established "brother" or "sister" type of relationship with then yeah you can take jabs at each other, but if you're with a group of casual friends, or even worse new friends/strangers, they're just gonna think "wow this guys an ass". Confidence and arrogance are two different things. You wanna come off as confident but not arrogant or obnoxious.

Now go make some friends babyboy!
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #382
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
3. Don't take anything from improv. Aside from classic Whose Line, improv is never funny and the only people entertained by it are usually the people in the improv group. In college there was an improv group that would always perform at the student union and whenever they would perform people would pick up their food/books/laptops and go somewhere else because they were annoying as f*ck

I agree with most of what you said, but you're wrong about improv. Great improv is amazing, especially long form stuff... It's just that most people that aren't pros suck dick.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #383
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I agree with most of what you said, but you're wrong about improv. Great improv is amazing, especially long form stuff... It's just that most people that aren't pros suck dick.

Yeah like I said I love Whose line with Colin, Ryan etc. They were great at it. I guess what I meant is the majority of people absolutely f*ckin suck at it
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #384
ace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
And i don't think it's a big deal to try to actively work on it like i am now...i mean dudes spend hours in the gym daily to better themselves physically and healthwise. And people spend hours with the books daily to try to better their career and grades.
Just go out and talk casually to random people. Throw yourself out there. Experience is more important than shit you learn from research.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #385
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Just go out and talk casually to random people. Throw yourself out there. Experience is more important than shit you learn from research.

But also be mindful of when the random person your talking to doesn't want to have a conversation with some weird ****ing guy and leave them alone.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #386
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

spit your game son
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #387
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Accept your social awkwardness, and others will too.
DMV2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #388
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How do you turn acquaintances and associates into friends?
DMV2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #389
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

LongLiveTheKing has decent reputationLongLiveTheKing has decent reputation

I don't think I'm socially awkward but i just don't talk to people I don't like. I rarely ever start conversations with girls. The more I know the more I'll talk to them.
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #390
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If I had good timing and more quotes available, I'm tempted to only respond by playing Starcraft quotes on my phone.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: