Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
sundizz
Local High School Star

Default How much extra time do you think NBA players actually put in?

I honestly don't think that every NBA player is out there bustin his azz during the season/off-season to get better.

They are 92% genetically gifted and 8% hard work/dedication to make the league first off. There really is only a handful of people in the world that a) play basketball b) have the natural athleticism to be an all-world athlete.

I think that almost every NBA player gives it 100% during games. May not always look 100% (e.g., James Harden) at all parts of the game...but when you are playing a sport you are either playing or not playing. Not really any willpower needed...just a matter of endurance and mentality.

Practicing on the other hand is purely willpower. Some people/players have it and some don't. It's probably similar to the workplace. Some people just work harder than others. Everyone did what they needed to do to get employed...but some people care much more.

Let's say there are 400 players in the NBA. Out of those NBA players how many do you think dedicate 4 (or more) hours a day to becoming better at basketball. This doesn't include playing the game, or mandatory practices. This does include stretching, watching video, shooting around, hitting the weights, etc.

To be fair let's compare it to a real job: How many players average a 20 hour work week (not including mandatory practice + games)?

My guess is 10%. I'd say 75% probably average between 2 to 3 hours a day (including stretching, weights, watching video, and shooting around). With the last 15% putting in less than 2 hours a day.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Random_Guy
I rep the Celtics

Default Re: How much extra time do you think NBA players actually put in?

lol you have to be joking if you dont think they put in HOURS everyday to get to where they were. are they insanely gifted, yeah, but they are also insanely hardworking., no way are they working only 2 to three hours a day. athleticism wont get you anywhere if that;s all you have, look at james white and guys like thabeet, super athletic guys with great length.
you not only need to be super talented, you need to be super hardworking to even have a shot at making the league
Random_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
VIntageNOvel
Kobelicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
I honestly don't think that every NBA player is out there bustin his azz during the season/off-season to get better.

They are 92% genetically gifted and 8% hard work/dedication to make the league first off. There really is only a handful of people in the world that a) play basketball b) have the natural athleticism to be an all-world athlete.

I think that almost every NBA player gives it 100% during games. May not always look 100% (e.g., James Harden) at all parts of the game...but when you are playing a sport you are either playing or not playing. Not really any willpower needed...just a matter of endurance and mentality.

Practicing on the other hand is purely willpower. Some people/players have it and some don't. It's probably similar to the workplace. Some people just work harder than others. Everyone did what they needed to do to get employed...but some people care much more.

Let's say there are 400 players in the NBA. Out of those NBA players how many do you think dedicate 4 (or more) hours a day to becoming better at basketball. This doesn't include playing the game, or mandatory practices. This does include stretching, watching video, shooting around, hitting the weights, etc.

To be fair let's compare it to a real job: How many players average a 20 hour work week (not including mandatory practice + games)?

My guess is 10%. I'd say 75% probably average between 2 to 3 hours a day (including stretching, weights, watching video, and shooting around). With the last 15% putting in less than 2 hours a day.

2-3 hours a day is the amount of time kobe put shooting at the gym before breakfast

http://www.businessinsider.com/kobe-...lympics-2013-3
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/3/6...workout-reddit
VIntageNOvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Trentknicks
Banned

Not nearly as much as their stans do.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

There's a reason people are so surprised about Bynum's lack of work ethic. You don't get to the NBA without working hard.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: