Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #106
Coach A
Coach America

Default Re: Psychology Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Showtime

No, computer engineering and to a lesser extent computer science majors are not "in demand." In fact, many of them are unemployed. That's one of those rare fields where an education really means nothing, because a company will hire the candidate who has the most experience/knowledge, which in some cases is the high-school nerd who never went to college but who read every damn coding book that's out there.

I wouldn't say education means nothing. Education plays a huge role in getting interviews even for CSE majors.

Though I would agree, especially for CSE majors, the interview itself is by far the most important thing for your job offer chances. If you can do well on the interviews it does not matter if you even have a degree or not. And having a 4.0 from MIT does not guarantee you a job, you have to perform well on these interviews, which last anywhere from 2-8 rounds.
Coach A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #107
LA_Showtime
Magic Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach A
I wouldn't say education means nothing. Education plays a huge role in getting interviews even for CSE majors.

Though I would agree, especially for CSE majors, the interview itself is by far the most important thing for your job offer chances. If you can do well on the interviews it does not matter if you even have a degree or not. And having a 4.0 from MIT does not guarantee you a job, you have to perform well on these interviews, which last anywhere from 2-8 rounds.

I have no idea why I said an education means nothing. I meant that computer science is one of those majors where you can get away w/o having an education if your knowledge base is above a certain level.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #108
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

Look children, it doesnt matter what your major is(as long as its not super fluff and you get decent grades) IF you do decent internships and part time work while you're in undergrad. That will be enough to get you entry level positions.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #109
Draz
The People's Choice

Thank you so much again everyone. I went to see a career advisor, who I've spoken to today for a few hours. I told him my position, etc, he is going towards his masters in social worker and told me how it was as a major in psychology. It seems as if it's the right path for me to take, considering I talked to my mother about grad school and completing a BA in psychology the opportunities are entry level positions and I can save up to help complete a masters in whatever specific career I do decide to enter in such as (social worker or health, etc) He said doing a minor helps, he's done it and it did improve his resume. I will look into a minor whenever I go into a university, I'm currently in a community school because of lower costs, travel, etc.

I still have enough time to decide on whether or not I will take a BA in psychology or not, but I will however change my AS major to it to be on the safe side, humanities and social sciences is just boring. I need a taste of where I can go or where psyc will take me. I personally found intro to psyc boring as hell, I didn't do well on it because of the session 2, 6 week course and taking it along with English 101 seemed to have me underestimate taking 6 week classes.

I feel like I know much more about where I want to be and my eyes are more opened up to the college world, something I should of known but then again in college your more of an individual.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #110
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

ye yo eyes seems pretty big.

anyway, good luck to you on whatever you choose. BA psychology may motivate you to pursue a way different career, but that's great also. I'd suggest asking your older friends and just looking around, noticing what people of different majors do right now, right after graduating. behind scenes are what could give you the flavour. good luck.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #111
LA_Showtime
Magic Johnson

So you didn't even like introductory psychology. Wow.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #112
Draz
The People's Choice

I liked it to a degree. I took it in the six week session which sucked.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #113
Pinkhearts
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Please don't listen to this fool if you don't want to be miserable the rest of your life.

Well you have a big choice here. Do you want to listen to a douchebag who sits around in ISH and tells you stupid shit, or do you want to listen to a girl who's been through RN school?
Pinkhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #114
LeFraud James
NEEDS MORE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
Well you have a big choice here. Do you want to listen to a douchebag who sits around in ISH and tells you stupid shit, or do you want to listen to a girl who's been through RN school?

Which one is Duece?

LeFraud James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #115
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
What's a good career in the psychology field? I'm switching my major to this. I took intro to psyc and barely passed because it was the quick one month session I over estimated it and slacked. But, I think it's a much better path to go rather than social science and humanities/liberal arts. I wanted to go for Social Worker but after researching I seen a lot of people complaining about it being low paying, stressful and a waste of time and effort. All 18 credits will transfer so I'll be fine in switching majors. I've been looking into careers for undergrads and salary's. I'm going to go for the BA and save up for the MA.

Get your bs instead of ba. It'll offer you more jobs with better pay
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #116
xcesswee
Great young streetballer

Like someone mentioned earlier. Focus on getting good grades AND get internships/relevant work experience/volunteer. You need both if you want a job coming out of college.
xcesswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #117
Coach A
Coach America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
Well you have a big choice here. Do you want to listen to a girl who's been through RN school or a college professor who teaches some of these 'supposedly good' majors introductory courses and was a former career advisor?

As I said earlier, even more important than doing what is 'considered good' or 'what interests you the most', it is most important to do what you're best at relative to your peers and that will get you the most success.
Coach A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #118
Draz
The People's Choice

Medical isn't for me, I've definitely thought about it. Blood, etc will kill me. I still to this very day at age 19-20 is afraid and will always be afraid of needles/blood tests.

The reason why I'm forcing myself to love/get into psyc is because of the nature it'll get me into. The environment, I love helping people, I love communicating and enjoying the smile of someone knowing I'm willing to help and endure pressure to do so. I wouldn't say I'm forcing myself to love the field because that's the only field I see, that or marketing/sales representative and hopefully a BA in that will help me as entry level jobs if I ever take that route.

How hard is it to get a MA? Is it the same way you get a AS/BA? What really would they give me for classes in that degree? I can only imagine what has to be studied as if what I already learned isn't enough there's more to be known or completed ..
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #119
LA_Showtime
Magic Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Medical isn't for me, I've definitely thought about it. Blood, etc will kill me. I still to this very day at age 19-20 is afraid and will always be afraid of needles/blood tests.

The reason why I'm forcing myself to love/get into psyc is because of the nature it'll get me into. The environment, I love helping people, I love communicating and enjoying the smile of someone knowing I'm willing to help and endure pressure to do so. I wouldn't say I'm forcing myself to love the field because that's the only field I see, that or marketing/sales representative and hopefully a BA in that will help me as entry level jobs if I ever take that route.

How hard is it to get a MA? Is it the same way you get a AS/BA? What really would they give me for classes in that degree? I can only imagine what has to be studied as if what I already learned isn't enough there's more to be known or completed ..

I still question whether you've thought this through properly. Yes, you help a lot of people in psychology, but you also deal with a lot of nutcases who point blank can't be helped. For every person whose life you turn around, there will be five or more who are schizophrenic, bipolar, etc. who won't want to be helped, and who will blame their problems on you. It's a tough, rewarding career path, but don't overlook the negatives, because in a field like that there will be a lot of them. If you're passionate about psychology, then by all means you'll be successful in that line of work, but if you're simply looking to help people, you'd probably do best to choose a different career path.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: