Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #121
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: Off-season

Brian T. Smith: Blake Ahearn is still expected to be included on Jazz's Summer League roster. Will play for Utah, then evaluate future. Twitter
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #122
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Paco Rabadan: (Jazz draftee) Ante Tomic will sign with CSKA Moscow next week. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Undrafted Mississippi State guard Dee Bost is weighing European offers and #NBA Summer League possibilities. Will soon make a decision. Twitter

So is this a step down for Tomic? I realize CSKA is one of the top teams but he was in the 2nd best league in the world in Spain I believe. Taking AK's spot?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #123
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz? Mostly staying the same.

Utah’s outlook

Jazz’s needs » Shooting guard, small forward

Personally I think they could still use a young pg to start developing since everyone could be gone in a year except the young fantastic 4. They need to get rid of Harris and Watson first though. Trey Johnson isn't young but he sounds interesting as a 6'6" combo guard that might be able to allow Mo and Harris to play off the ball though Hayward can already do that and maybe eventually Burks too. Still wouldn't mind seeing them go after a pass first pg and put Mo in the role the Clipps had him in off the bench though he probably wouldn't be happy with it.

If the Jefferson trade ever mercifully happens they could use a veteran big to come in and push Kanter and Favors too.

Quote:
Combined team salary » $62 million (estimated)

Salary cap » $58 million

Luxury tax » $70 million

Spending options » The Jazz will have the full mid-level exception ($5 million), which can be used for multiple players

Isn't there a smaller exception to use too? Millsap extension hopefully as well.

Quote:
Heading into the 2012-13 campaign, eight of the Jazz’s 12 players under contract hold expiring deals, including all four point guards and starting big men Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson. Factor in the impending signing of second-round draft pick Kevin Murphy and the expectation the Jazz will re-sign reserve forward Jeremy Evans

I think they seriously got to consider letting Jeremy go. He looks like he can contribute in the league but he's just wasting away in Utah with other younger guys ahead of him. He should have spent most of last year in the D-league. Only reason I can see keeping him or their draft pick around.

Quote:
The Salt Lake Tribune learned Saturday that San Antonio guard Danny Green (restricted free agent) and veteran guard Roger Mason have interest in Utah. Green received a $2.7 million qualifying offer from the Spurs. But he’s open to exploring his options and a league source close to the guard believes Green could be a perfect fit for a Jazz team that enters free agency needing to address 3-point shooting and perimeter defense — two of Green’s main strengths.

Other shooting guards and small forwards who could fit Utah’s needs and price range: Gerald Green, Martell Webster, Michael Redd, Roger Mason, Shannon Brown, Lou Williams, Marco Belinelli and Nick Young.

D. Green might be a nice pick-up and might be had. Spurs have a couple of their Euros coming over and who knows what other moves they'll make. Might not have a roster spot or cap space for him. I could see Mason as an end of the bench guy maybe on the vet minimum but the Jazz will probably only use the minimum 13 roster spaces so they might not have a spot for him.

Not sure the other Green has the basketball IQ for the Jazz? Webster has been hurt 3 of the past 4 years but for the right price he'd be someone to consider. Redd would be a great fit I'd think coming off screens. Shannon Brown might be a good pick-up. He's got combo guard skills and can shoot a bit and played in the triangle so he might be smart enough. They might need more size with Mo and Harris already on the roster with two other pg's though. Same for Lou Williams. Bellini certainly looks like a Jazzman. Nick Young doesn't have the IQ I think either.

Josh Howard should be under consideration still as well. He played well when healthy.

Quote:
with Millsap expected to soon push for a long-term contract extension, veteran guard Raja Bell’s well-chronicled divide with Corbin, and the practicality of the Harris-Williams backcourt duo already being questioned, the Jazz’s hand may be forced.

I'd say Raja already pushed as did CJ. Watson crying for sitting behind Tinsley for 1 game and Al leading the Spurs fan club should have pushed moves for them too.

Quote:
But a single free-agent signing during the next few weeks won’t be the wave that suddenly pushes the Jazz to the top.

A season-changing trade could be the start.

Mo was a start. They could definitely be right in the thick of things behind Oklahoma with the right moves. They lost a lot of close ones last year that would have put them up towards the top of the standings and who knows if they don't play their nemesis in the 1st round?

Quote:
bsmith@sltrib.comTwitter: @tribjazz

Depth chart

PG » Devin Harris*, Mo Williams*, Earl Watson*, Jamaal Tinsley*

SG » Williams, Alec Burks, Raja Bell*, Kevin Murphy

SF » Gordon Hayward, DeMarre Carroll*

PF » Paul Millsap*, Derrick Favors

C » Al Jefferson*, Enes Kanter

* » Have expiring contracts

Jazz will have 13 players under contract once Murphy is signed

Note » Jazz hold $1 million qualifying offer for forward Jeremy Evans
Old 07-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #124
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Without factoring in their interest in coming to Utah (or vice-versa), some possible mid-level-range shooters on the market include: Jason Terry (Dallas), Ray Allen (Boston), O.J. Mayo (Memphis), Nick Young (Washington), Danny Green (San Antonio) and Courtney Lee (Houston), among others.

Or, heck, after giving Howard and Tinsley chances to resurrect their careers last season, it's a big stretch but could the Jazz take a flyer on ex-Blazer Brandon Roy?

There's also a stellar European small forward free agent from Russia, who enjoyed his 10-year stay in Utah. It also seems to be a stretch, but could the Jazz and Andrei Kirilenko reunite?

I like the looks of that list a lot better though probably not as realistic. I don't think they need AK anymore.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #125
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Defintely still need a long term solution at the PG spot. Williams and Harris can handle it for another year, but I wouldn't like it any longer than that.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #126
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

I'm willing to give Mo a shot. He's still young enough to be the guy for a while and playing off Hayward like he did in Cleveland with Lebron might work out great.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #127
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Sam Amico: Jazz also may have interest in Kirk Hinrich. Also, keep an eye out for some potential Ray Allen-Thunder buzz. Twitter

Not surprising. Another undersized combo guard that would be best coming off the bench though.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #128
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Brian T. Smith: Several #NBA agents have already asked questions about Jazz's trade for Mo Williams. Not sure what Utah's long-term plan is. Twitter

So they already have options. I'd hate to see him go and Harris stay though.

Quote:
Brian T. Smith: Josh Howard and #UtahJazz have had contact since season ended and sides are expected to initiate free agency conversation today. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Howard has sincere interest in re-signing with #UtahJazz but will explore all options. Seeking a multiyear deal after 2011-12 resurgence. Twitter
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #129
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Two agents with clients on the 2011-12 Utah team recently told The Salt Lake Tribune they're open to a sign-and-trade if their players don't re-sign with the Jazz. Jazz forward Paul Millsap is expected to seek a new contract worth as much or more than the four-year, $40 million deal Nets forward Gerald Wallace has reportedly agreed to. Salt Lake Tribune

I'd guess that is the minimum he would sign for especially with the Hibbert and Batum deals that are happening. He's better than them and Wallace is older while Millsap is still getting better.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #130
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Marc J. Spears: Jazz free agent Josh Howard getting interest from Mavs for Dallas return, source tells Y! Utah, Lakers, Nets, Spurs, Celtics also interested Twitter

Maybe they can get something in a sign and trade? Where's CJ headed?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #131
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Emiliano Carchia: Ettore Messina also said that CSKA Moscow has to replace four players mentioning Andrei Kirilenko so AK47 is on his way to return to the NBA Twitter
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #132
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
While all felt the addition of Williams was an upgrade, they also believe Utah likely has another major move to make before its roster is finalized.

I'd hope so. Their roster is a mess again!

Quote:
In addition, several agents wondered how the Jazz — who are above the salary cap but below the luxury tax — plan to use Gordon Hayward in the future. The talented 22-year-old has yet to be cemented at either shooting guard or small forward and bounced between both positions last season. With the Jazz initially targeting the wing position during free agency and having the full $5 million mid-level exception at their disposal, Hayward's long-term position could sway or deter potential free agent signings.

Brian T. Smith

I really can't see this being a big deal. He might start. He might come of the bench. He might be the 2. He might be the 3. Basically the same position in Utah as he stated himself last year. A few plays are different he said. As he physically matures I could even see he possibly playing some 4 in the future. Right now he should be their point(forward/guard whatever you want to call it).
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #133
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
CJ Miles: Great dinner and metting in NYC at Atlantic Grill w/ Coach Carlisle ... Sushi is amazing get the Sweet and Spicy roll!! Twitter

CJ Miles: Can most definitely see why players like and play well for him .. Twitter

Any chance Dallas wants him if his buddy stays in Brooklyn? NJ probably courting him to? He is in NYC.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #134
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Brian T. Smith: Obvious via C.J. Miles tweet, but confirmed by league source that former #UtahJazz forward met with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle tonight. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: C.J. Miles has already been contacted by several #NBA teams, source says, and Mavericks have sincere interest in signing him. Twitter

sign and trade?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #135
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Miles, who is seeking a multiyear contract, is open to a sign-and-trade involving the Jazz. Such a scenario could allow Utah to add a wing it desires while preserving its full $5 million mid-level exception on another free agent(s).

Dallas like Harris and Howard too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: