Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #76
joe
College superstar

Default Re: Magic The Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

haha. Basically, mana is what allows you to play your cards. For instance, this card costs 3 Mana to play, as you can tell by the upper right hand corner:

It requires three lands to play that card.

Importantly, you can only play one land, or ''mana,'' per turn. No matter how many lands you have in your hand, you can only play one of them every turn. And since you only draw one card per turn, it can take time to build up the your mana resources.

(Technically, a land produces mana, but I am just using the words interchangeably to avoid confusing you.)

So, take another look at Black Lotus:

If you look at the upper right hand corner, you see that this card costs 0 mana. So, you can play this card for zero mana cost, and then it has the ability to give you three mana. So, on turn one, you have three more mana than you otherwise would have.

Remember earlier, I said that it can take time to build up your mana resources. Well, if you have black lotus, you can immediately play powerful cards before your opponent has a chance to build their resources. If you draw two black lotus on your opening hand, you can cast some of the strongest monsters in the game before your opponent has even played one turn.

In other words... it is a super, ridiculously broken card! Way way overpowered. Super rare. And criminally expensive.

For some reason I had fun writing that, even if you probably don't care that much. Oh well :P

Last edited by joe : 10-15-2014 at 12:35 AM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #77
Anti Hero
TeamBattlesNotSoBad

Nah, I appreciate it.. I understand a bit better than before, would probably have to actually play it to fully grasp it.

Now why I came in here, that card is now for sale, the asking price of 100,000$
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #78
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Nah, I appreciate it.. I understand a bit better than before, would probably have to actually play it to fully grasp it.

Now why I came in here, that card is now for sale, the asking price of 100,000$
There will be someone crazy enough to buy it for financial reasons. The game has caught the high wind a long time ago and it won't just die even Hasbro suddenly killed the game off for whatever reasons. And, at this point, there is no sign of the game dying. There will be demand.

The obviously mint Alpha Black Lotus may have a potential to be valued at Honus Wagner level, and the game has only been around for 21 years.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #79
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

I was at GP Ottawa on Sunday (couldn't attend the main event on Saturday because of works), entering a big Sealed tournament of 170+ players. My pool was crap money-wise but quite strong to play around with Icy Blast and Crater Claws. I had an amazing run with 5 wins in a row even the one that I was penalized a game because of incorrect deck registration, only to lose the first game due to not showing morph creatures at the end of the match that I actually won. I survived until the end of the tournament with 6-3 record, finished at 16th place, the last prize spot of a half of Khans box!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #80
KyrieTheFuture
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHammer
I was at GP Ottawa on Sunday (couldn't attend the main event on Saturday because of works), entering a big Sealed tournament of 170+ players. My pool was crap money-wise but quite strong to play around with Icy Blast and Crater Claws. I had an amazing run with 5 wins in a row even the one that I was penalized a game because of incorrect deck registration, only to lose the first game due to not showing morph creatures at the end of the match that I actually won. I survived until the end of the tournament with 6-3 record, finished at 16th place, the last prize spot of a half of Khans box!
Post any good pulls
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #81
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Post any good pulls

Last edited by BurningHammer : 11-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #82
KyrieTheFuture
NBA rookie of the year

Sorin and the best fetch? Nice.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #83
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Sorin and the best fetch? Nice.
I only plays Standard and the best fetch in standard right now is not Polluted Delta, but I know its values in other formats. So, it is all good.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #84
iamgine

I sold a photocopy of Black Lotus for $700 back in 2001. The kid was so happy he didn't even inspect it.

Been a long time. What's the strongest set post 7th edition?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #85
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I sold a photocopy of Black Lotus for $700 back in 2001. The kid was so happy he didn't even inspect it.

Been a long time. What's the strongest set post 7th edition?
In term of power level, Mirrodin, probably.

Almost every sets seem to have at least 1-2 overpowered multi-format cards.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #86
KyrieTheFuture
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
In term of power level, Mirrodin, probably.

Almost every sets seem to have at least 1-2 overpowered multi-format cards.
Except Theros Block, shit was garbage
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #87
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Except Theros Block, shit was garbage
Somewhat agreed. I believe WOTC is trying to shift its demographics to EDH players more, leading to those clunky but quite powerful cards like god cycle and others.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #88
KyrieTheFuture
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Somewhat agreed. I believe WOTC is trying to shift its demographics to EDH players more, leading to those clunky but quite powerful cards like god cycle and others.
Realistically a smart move, it's the most popular format outside of standard and limited (I believe) and people will play those regardless of what's put out. Why cater to smaller group of players? Especially from a secondary market POV they have no need to create legacy or modern bombs that aren't applicable in standard, they sell packs not singles. That being said, I wish the reserved list was gone.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #89
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Quote:
Realistically a smart move, it's the most popular format outside of standard and limited (I believe) and people will play those regardless of what's put out. Why cater to smaller group of players? Especially from a secondary market POV they have no need to create legacy or modern bombs that aren't applicable in standard, they sell packs not singles. That being said, I wish the reserved list was gone.
The reserved list is good and fair. Reprinting highly valued broken cards can kill the game. Players and resellers do care about their possession's values and you don't want to anger both who are the core of the buyers. I know it first-handed because one of older CCGs I used to play heavily died this way.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #90
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Dragons of Tarkir

MTG: Origins

Also, Goyf (again, at Mythic) and Khan Liberated will be reprinted in Modern Master 2.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: