Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The Pro Bowl may be dead

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...wl-sources-say

Quote:
The Pro Bowl currently is on the NFL's calendar the week before the Super Bowl in New Orleans on Feb. 3 but no game site has been listed because of its precarious status, sources added.

Sources say that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has previously voiced his displeasure with the lack of competitiveness of recent Pro Bowl games, is strongly considering suspending this year's game, sources say.

Beyond 2013, another league source believes the Pro Bowl is "DOA (dead on arrival)."

If the game is suspended, the league still would have a Pro Bowl balloting process to identify the season's top players and would direct teams to negotiate Pro Bowl clauses into player contracts and to honor Pro Bowl incentive clauses to avoid any serious conflict with the NFL Players Association. Those players also likely would be honored in some fashion during Super Bowl week.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The Pro Bowl may be dead

A couple things

I dont watch the pro bowl, so let me get that out first..

I think the Achievement of being one of best players in the league suffers if the league doesnt have an all star game

Nobody really pays attention to the game itself, but it helps to create some sort of hierarchy of the best players in any given year. The game is like a medal for the players, even if they dont actually play hard in the game, they still want the medals added to their resume

I think it is worse because they moved it between the playoffs and the superbowl. I think it was better in late Feb.

anyway if they lose the Probowl, that wont be a positive for the league
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
A couple things

I dont watch the pro bowl, so let me get that out first..

I think the Achievement of being one of best players in the league suffers if the league doesnt have an all star game

Nobody really pays attention to the game itself, but it helps to create some sort of hierarchy of the best players in any given year. The game is like a medal for the players, even if they dont actually play hard in the game, they still want the medals added to their resume

I think it is worse because they moved it between the playoffs and the superbowl. I think it was better in late Feb.

anyway if they lose the Probowl, that wont be a positive for the league
How about an award ceremony instead?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
How about an award ceremony instead?

that would be cool... i guess

but something stinks about Goodell.. all these years the pro bowl has been around and now he decides to suspend it because guys werent playing hard?

guys never played hard... not even back when the probowl was on ABC.

nobody wants to get hurt. Its more of a celebrity event than an actual competition.

I just think Goodell is taking something away from game by doing this. One thing is for sure... He is no Tagliabue or Rozelle
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
that would be cool... i guess

but something stinks about Goodell.. all these years the pro bowl has been around and now he decides to suspend it because guys werent playing hard?

guys never played hard... not even back when the probowl was on ABC.

nobody wants to get hurt. Its more of a celebrity event than an actual competition.

I just think Goodell is taking something away from game by doing this. One thing is for sure... He is no Tagliabue or Rozelle
People never played hard. The last few years though the NFL gets mocked for it a ridiculous amount. I'm not sure where that came from. All of a sudden people think it's an issue.

Like the DH/No DH in baseball, i've heard about this like 200 times the last few weeks. Did people just realize the two leagues are different?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It would be a lot more interesting if they held a skills contest like the NBA. A lot more people would watch it and they players would try harder because there is no risk of injury.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

I dont hate the Pro Bowl as much as others but they need to either seriously improve the standard of the game or get rid of it all together. Not worth having a game where the participants are disinterested. Maybe put a new spin on it?
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Players gonna be pissed when they don't get their pro bowl bonuses
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people

RIP Pro Bowl.

No one ever really cared
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

they should still announce probowlers every year...

this will be better because it will get rid of all those reserves that never deserved the probowl title
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Good riddance to bad rubbish. A joke whose death was long overdue.

They've already said that Pro Bowl teams and bonuses would continue, just you won't end up with the 8th alternate David Garrad qualifying.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Yeah, the Pro Bowl is a joke, but the Pro Bowl has always been a joke. Not the concept behind it, but the game itself. There's obviously no effort given on the field, but there is an obvious reason for that. Nobody is going to risk injuring themselves in this game.

I have no problem with the game being cancelled but players still getting title Pro-Bowl players if they deserve. What I think is a bigger issue here is how many players actually become Pro-Bowlers. Simply put, there's way too many. The amount of alternates and reserves are ridiculous.

Pro-Bowlers should only consist of your standard positions, and then a back-up for each of those positions, like every sport. That means for the AFC Conference for example, when deciding Pro-Bowlers, there should only be...

Offense
QB - 2
RB - 2
FB - 2
C - 2
OG - 4
OT - 4
TE - 2
WR - 4

Defense
DT - 4
DE - 4
LB - 6
CB - 4
SS - 2
FS - 2

Special Teams
Kicker - 2
Punter - 2
Kick Returner - 2
Punt Returner - 2

That's it. That's all there should be. You should have the best player at that position in the Conference, and then a back-up, which would be the next best player at the position in the conference. There shouldn't be 10-12 freaking "Pro-Bowl" Quarterbacks every season. Its retarded.

So yeah, go ahead and get rid of the game itself so we won't have this problem. Less players will be slapped with the Pro-Bowl title, it will become more rare and prestigious, and believe it or not, maybe actually make it mean something.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: