Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has not been impressing people
Default Re: We're a sitting target for alien invasion

lol i was thinking someone hacked my account and started a thread then i realized this was from april...
Godzuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
LamarOdom
Banned

LamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I read it as We're a sitting target for Allen Iverson
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
eriX
High School Starter

eriX has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
you also have to remember that to get to the point we are now it took us 3.4 billion years after first life appeared, and 4.5 billion years after the earth formed. that is a fifth to a third of the entire universes existence. even if life has arisen elsewhere and even if it was before us it still might be billions of years behind us developmentally.

also i'm not sure how long after the universe started that life could have theoretically began, but it would have to be after the first generation(s) of stars died out so that heavy elements could be formed. that is at least a billion or so years in, so we very well could be the most technologically advanced species right now.

except the universe is so infinitely vast and the possibilities are actually endless that in this very universe alone could be another Earth with the exact same people doing the exact same things.

Though for aliens to reach us they would have to travel around twice the speed of light as not only do they have to travel to us but also travel against the constant expansion of the universe
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriX
except the universe is so infinitely vast and the possibilities are actually endless that in this very universe alone could be another Earth with the exact same people doing the exact same things.

Though for aliens to reach us they would have to travel around twice the speed of light as not only do they have to travel to us but also travel against the constant expansion of the universe

Call me crazy, but I think we will eventually find a way to travel the equivalent of being faster than the speed of light. I believe under our current understanding of physicals time stops once you hit the speed of light right?

maybe it will be like star trek and we find a way to bend space, so that although we aren't traveling that fast space around the ship is bent so that the distance we travel is greater.

I believe in humanity and our ability to progress scientifically.

Lets reach the aliens before they reach us, indigenous populations dont fare well when they get discovered.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

anybody remember that steven spielberg animated series called 'Invasion America' in the late 90s / early 2000s? i enjoyed it..i wonder why it was cancelled
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
PullupJay
This Digital Ghost

PullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPullupJay is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdom
I read it as We're a sitting target for Allen Iverson
i swear i was just about to say that
PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Call me crazy, but I think we will eventually find a way to travel the equivalent of being faster than the speed of light. I believe under our current understanding of physicals time stops once you hit the speed of light right?

maybe it will be like star trek and we find a way to bend space, so that although we aren't traveling that fast space around the ship is bent so that the distance we travel is greater.

Lets reach the aliens before they reach us, indigenous populations dont fare well when they get discovered.

- We are already on the verge of Cheap Space Travel....prolly in te next 50 years the upper middle class will be able to take a vacation to the Moon(maybe Maybe further)

- Light Speed is not a matter of if but When, Just think less then 100 years ago we didn't even have cars.........but I'm not sure the whole Space/time/time travel theory will hold true.

but the more I try to wrap my head around it....who knows Time Travel might be possible within the next few hundred years.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
eriX
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Well (based on my personal knowledge) there could be more dimensions to the universe than we know, which i think through this it may be possible to warp travel from one point to another.

I'm not exactly sure on this but imagine the universe was a sheet of paper and by finding the extra dimensions, we could bend this paper. Now when the paper are folded in half there will be a point where you could poke a hole and it will go from one point of the paper to the other, hence enabling warp travel.

Right now this is the few theoretically possible way of traveling quickly as Eisenstein' theory or relativity states that if you travel as quick or quicker than the speed of light you will start to travel back in time.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

As someone pointed out, for aliens to come here they would need some faster than light speed travel or teleportation. As fun as it is to think that someone could eventually figure it out, realistically, those concepts are nothing more than science fiction. Right now, we cant even travel to the bottom of the ocean, because the pressure is too great. With all of our technological advances, we are still made out of fragile little bodies. The elements and dangers involved in going that fast are too big to overcome. For ex. The nearest known star (other than the Sun), Proxima Centauri, is about 4.22 light-years away. That means going lightspeed it would take 4 years to get to. We know theres nothing there, but it would take FOUR years going lightspeed. Flying at lightspeed is a ridiculous concept in itself. It would take infinite energy to accelerate to that point, and how would you slow down after going that fast. A collision with a tiny speck at lightspeed would cause a massive explosion that would destroy anything. We need to accept that we were born on this planet, and we are all going to die on this planet... there are no other possibilities. Sci Fi has conditioned us to think that all this space travel crap is possible, but really, it isn't.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
As someone pointed out, for aliens to come here they would need some faster than light speed travel or teleportation. As fun as it is to think that someone could eventually figure it out, realistically, those concepts are nothing more than science fiction. Right now, we cant even travel to the bottom of the ocean, because the pressure is too great. With all of our technological advances, we are still made out of fragile little bodies. The elements and dangers involved in going that fast are too big to overcome. For ex. The nearest known star (other than the Sun), Proxima Centauri, is about 4.22 light-years away. That means going lightspeed it would take 4 years to get to. We know theres nothing there, but it would take FOUR years going lightspeed. Flying at lightspeed is a ridiculous concept in itself. It would take infinite energy to accelerate to that point, and how would you slow down after going that fast. A collision with a tiny speck at lightspeed would cause a massive explosion that would destroy anything. We need to accept that we were born on this planet, and we are all going to die on this planet... there are no other possibilities. Sci Fi has conditioned us to think that all this space travel crap is possible, but really, it isn't.

- Your whole post is 100% false...and after reading it....I can only imagine what people said in the 1400's about explorers going acroos the Pacific Rim Ocean.

" The ocean is a big water fall.....one tiny hole in the hull and your baat will sink.....no way we can make it to the other side..."

- Then to add our own Space Travel as a human species....in less then 100 years we managed to exit our atmosphere and put a human on the Moon....

can you imagine what people said about Space Travel in 1800's?

They probably thought it impossible....and said similar things you say now.

- all matter broken down into the smallest form is just energy and empty space.....that's it.

- when we find out what gives matter ( empty space) the ability to create everything we have today...even ourselves as Humans the ability to have a concious...then we will be able to create enough Fuel/power to Travel at so called "Lightspeed"

- Judging from our past we always have encountered obstacles and we always find a way to get past them...

There is no doubt in my mind we will travel and Colonize more planets besides Earth...

as a species that is what we do....in fact that is how we became born.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars." Robert Heinlein

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 10-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
eriX
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho

The technology needed to get far is definitely far fetched and quite difficult if we look at it from this very moment. But you see, Moore's Law dictates our current exponential growth of technology, technological advancement is only going to further the release of the next advancement. Obviously most of these advancements are not shown on the media nor known by the public as they are not for commercial release. Also there comes the factor of profitability for businesses and investments into such research that halts advancement. However it is only a matter of time before we reach the place we can only dream of now.

for something interest and loosely based on facts/sci fi check this website out

http://www.futuretimeline.net/
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #27
red1
Dinosaurs

red1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterred1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You better be careful OP, they are coming to anal probe you. The cows were just practice
red1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- Your whole post is 100% false...and after reading it....I can only imagine what people said in the 1400's about explorers going acroos the Pacific Rim Ocean.

" The ocean is a big water fall.....one tiny hole in the hull and your baat will sink.....no way we can make it to the other side..."

- Then to add our own Space Travel as a human species....in less then 100 years we managed to exit our atmosphere and put a human on the Moon....

can you imagine what people said about Space Travel in 1800's?

They probably thought it impossible....and said similar things you say now.

- all matter broken down into the smallest form is just energy and empty space.....that's it.

- when we find out what gives matter ( empty space) the ability to create everything we have today...even ourselves as Humans the ability to have a concious...then we will be able to create enough Fuel/power to Travel at so called "Lightspeed"

- Judging from our past we always have encountered obstacles and we always find a way to get past them...

There is no doubt in my mind we will travel and Colonize more planets besides Earth...

as a species that is what we do....in fact that is how we became born.

"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars." Robert Heinlein
The only difference between explorers in the 1400s and people in the 1800s and today is that back then they didn't know shit. Right now we have a pretty clear picture of the universe how it works, how energy works, our capabilities etc.. We've almost figured out everything. I know it sounds ridiculous but it really is the point we are at. Our most powerful energy source is still nuclear. All we have left to figure out is nuclear fission which is many times more powerful that nuclear fusion. After that theres ridiculous shit like anti-matter which is next to impossible to obtain. How long have we had nuclear reactors? for a long time. We really arent advancing as fast as people believe. All that is advancing is computers and computing power. Eventually we'll have 100 terabyte cell phones with 10 years of battery life, whoopty doo, thats it. Our knowledge has to top off somewhere and we are almost there. All this quantum physics, black holes other dimensions and shit like that is fun stuff to think about, but its all theoretical physics. We arent' gonna be hopping into some portal and coming back out with infinite energy sources. Thats some cartoon shit.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriX
The technology needed to get far is definitely far fetched and quite difficult if we look at it from this very moment. But you see, Moore's Law dictates our current exponential growth of technology, technological advancement is only going to further the release of the next advancement. Obviously most of these advancements are not shown on the media nor known by the public as they are not for commercial release. Also there comes the factor of profitability for businesses and investments into such research that halts advancement. However it is only a matter of time before we reach the place we can only dream of now.

for something interest and loosely based on facts/sci fi check this website out

http://www.futuretimeline.net/
Moores law is not an actual law but an observation of a trend. And even then, it only applies to computers and computing. We all still drive cars, use ovens and refrigerators and shit into toilets. Aint shit advancing except cell phones and laptops. NASA greatest inventions were Velcro and goddamn microwaves. It still costs 2 billion dollars to send a ship into space. Gas is still 4 dollars a gallon, we havent created a single device this century that would make it look like long space travel is possible.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Right now everything that goes into space requires rocket engines which is a terribly inefficient way to power a craft on a long journey. It's great for getting things into orbit and fine for sending a satellite off on a trip into the stars but horrible for transporting humans and their cargo. There's no practical way yet to even power a manned craft from here to Mars so forget about going light speed for quite some time. Not saying it won't happen one day but not in our lifetimes
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: