Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #31
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: We're a sitting target for alien invasion

Well if they have the ability to get here they have already won. We have nothing to give to them as far as fights are concerned because I'd assume an aggressive civilization would have the ability to fight from a distance for that very reason.

Also the energy required to travel the speed of light is enormous. It IS a matter of if. There are some good ideas out there but we are so far from getting there it's not even funny.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
The only difference between explorers in the 1400s and people in the 1800s and today is that back then they didn't know shit. Right now we have a pretty clear picture of the universe how it works, how energy works, our capabilities etc.. We've almost figured out everything. I know it sounds ridiculous but it really is the point we are at. Our most powerful energy source is still nuclear. All we have left to figure out is nuclear fission which is many times more powerful that nuclear fusion. After that theres ridiculous shit like anti-matter which is next to impossible to obtain. How long have we had nuclear reactors? for a long time. We really arent advancing as fast as people believe. All that is advancing is computers and computing power. Eventually we'll have 100 terabyte cell phones with 10 years of battery life, whoopty doo, thats it. Our knowledge has to top off somewhere and we are almost there. All this quantum physics, black holes other dimensions and shit like that is fun stuff to think about, but its all theoretical physics. We arent' gonna be hopping into some portal and coming back out with infinite energy sources. Thats some cartoon shit.

what?..we have a clear picture?...of how the whole ****ing universe works??...we still don't even know how our own planet works or the effects of it on us...

we are still learning and evolving...

- there is no diffrence between the 1400's -1800's ..except our technology/tools we developed through experience.

- we have only had Nuclear reactors since the late 50's....so 60 years is a long time now.?...that's barely 1 generation

that's hardly a long time in the context of developing new energy sources to susstain Light speed space travel.

- our technology is growing at a huge rate...we can communicate with anyone in the World with a touch of a button...when at the begining of the Century we had to send paper messages by Horseback...not to mention we have Planes that can take us anywhere in the World....when not to long ago "Flying Birds" was laughed at as a meaningful way of transportation.

- Fact is our tools/technology is growing faster then anytime in our history...and it will continue to grow and continue to help our species grow...forever.

- and Black Holes are real....where the gravitational pull is so powerfull that Light is trapped..."other dimensions" like you said is a theory...

but if you look at any matter broken down to the smallest form...it is empty space appearing then disappearing so on and so forth (or an event in the scientific community)

if it's "here"...then "there"....where is it going?...

- you proclaiming it's all bogus and all fun and games...is similar to the way People blew of thoery's that the world was round....they simply could not understand science or complex thoery's...so they made fun of it.

If you don'tunderstand it then fine.....but don't try to talk about something you clearly can't understand
AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Well if they have the ability to get here they have already won. We have nothing to give to them as far as fights are concerned because I'd assume an aggressive civilization would have the ability to fight from a distance for that very reason.

Also the energy required to travel the speed of light is enormous. It IS a matter of if. There are some good ideas out there but we are so far from getting there it's not even funny.

hey now!..

The native American Indians put up a great fight vs the Pilgrims...

until dat biological warfare put us out..
Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
what?..we have a clear picture?...of how the whole ****ing universe works??...we still don't even know how our own planet works or the effects of it on us...

we are still learning and evolving...

- there is no diffrence between the 1400's -1800's ..except our technology/tools we developed through experience.

- we have only had Nuclear reactors since the late 50's....so 60 years is a long time now.?...that's barely 1 generation

that's hardly a long time in the context of developing new energy sources to susstain Light speed space travel.

- our technology is growing at a huge rate...we can communicate with anyone in the World with a touch of a button...when at the begining of the Century we had to send paper messages by Horseback...not to mention we have Planes that can take us anywhere in the World....when not to long ago "Flying Birds" was laughed at as a meaningful way of transportation.

- Fact is our tools/technology is growing faster then anytime in our history...and it will continue to grow and continue to help our species grow...forever.

- and Black Holes are real....where the gravitational pull is so powerfull that Light is trapped..."other dimensions" like you said is a theory...

but if you look at any matter broken down to the smallest form...it is empty space appearing then disappearing so on and so forth (or an event in the scientific community)

if it's "here"...then "there"....where is it going?...

- you proclaiming it's all bogus and all fun and games...is similar to the way People blew of thoery's that the world was round....they simply could not understand science or complex thoery's...so they made fun of it.

If you don'tunderstand it then fine.....but don't try to talk about something you clearly can't understand
But thats what I'm saying, i follow the scientific community very closely when it comes to this stuff, I understand all the concepts and prevalent theories that mainstream science believe in now. The quantum something from nothingness stuff, I don't know what it means, but neither does anyone. No one think that from that will come infinity energy... its getting to a point where scientists believe that the stuff they are studying now will have no practical use at all.

Find me any peer reviewed theory online from a scientist that thinks we'll have infinity energy or can fly at lightspeed... you won't. Those are all concepts of sci fi movies, scientists don't actually believe we can fly around our galaxy. Which btw i just looked up, is 100,000 light years wide. 100,000 light years... Humans aren't meant to deal with such massive things.. we are after all simple animals that sleep eat shit. Maybe when we invent AI it can go around the universe and shit.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
Nanners
Good college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If there is an alien race sophisticated enough to travel to earth, they will almost certainly be far too advanced for humans to expect to be able to defend themselves.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
But thats what I'm saying, i follow the scientific community very closely when it comes to this stuff, I understand all the concepts and prevalent theories that mainstream science believe in now. The quantum something from nothingness stuff, I don't know what it means, but neither does anyone. No one think that from that will come infinity energy... its getting to a point where scientists believe that the stuff they are studying now will have no practical use at all.

Find me any peer reviewed theory online from a scientist that thinks we'll have infinity energy or can fly at lightspeed... you won't. Those are all concepts of sci fi movies, scientists don't actually believe we can fly around our galaxy. Which btw i just looked up, is 100,000 light years wide. 100,000 light years... Humans aren't meant to deal with such massive things.. we are after all simple animals that sleep eat shit. Maybe when we invent AI it can go around the universe and shit.

Listen to what you are saying.....( To me you said....many people since the dawn of man have created theory's or imagined ________(fill in random project) in this case ...space travel)....the first step is to imagine ....just look at our technology today.....all of it was imagined by people the same way we write SCI FI Books about imagining space travel.

many people have already came up with theorys on Space Travel/time travel....so have many Scientists...they are working to make it possible..(just as "face time" allows you to wirelessy see the person you are talking to....wich was imagined and proved true)

matter and antimatter has been proven true....once we can harness that combination of both...who knows the amount of energy we can obtain?

it's not if...the question is when.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
Listen to what you are saying.....( To me you said....many people since the dawn of man have created theory's or imagined ________(fill in random project) in this case ...space travel)....the first step is to imagine ....just look at our technology today.....all of it was imagined by people the same way we write SCI FI Books about imagining space travel.

many people have already came up with theorys on Space Travel/time travel....so have many Scientists...they are working to make it possible..(just as "face time" allows you to wirelessy see the person you are talking to....wich was imagined and proved true)

matter and antimatter has been proven true....once we can harness that combination of both...who knows the amount of energy we can obtain?

it's not if...the question is when.
I dunno man, I keep imagining that if I explain myself enough you'll understand the point I'm trying to make, but its not coming true. Am I doing something wrong?
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #38
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
I dunno man, I keep imagining that if I explain myself enough you'll understand the point I'm trying to make, but its not coming true. Am I doing something wrong?

I think your point is...

You think Humans have reached our technological peak....

You don't believe / understand how we could create enough energy source to make interstella exploration possible...to go along with not bieng destroyed by a spec of sand...

- Fact is we are trying to create a energy source to supply interstellar travel...and we are understanding how Matter / ntimatter work....

I think we are doing pretty well considering Air Travel was just introduced not to long ago.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation

i agree that you can't think in the box that we're currently in, and think thats the end of it. new science discoveries can occur that can change everything, even if it looks like right now we've theorized all possibilities of what we know of current physics. i do think there are probably ways to go from point A to point B faster than the speed of light that we have yet to discover.

i mean we still don't have flying cars yet, still using guns that shoot bullets and not lasers, etc, we're still far away from being some tech'd out society with knowledge of everything.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #40
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
you also have to remember that to get to the point we are now it took us 3.4 billion years after first life appeared, and 4.5 billion years after the earth formed. that is a fifth to a third of the entire universes existence. even if life has arisen elsewhere and even if it was before us it still might be billions of years behind us developmentally.

also i'm not sure how long after the universe started that life could have theoretically began, but it would have to be after the first generation(s) of stars died out so that heavy elements could be formed. that is at least a billion or so years in, so we very well could be the most technologically advanced species right now.
I was basically thinking the same thing, and even if they aren't billions of years behind us developmentally, doesn't mean they'll be as technologically savvy as humans. You could have life that is a few billion years older but never developed anything near our level of intelligence.
EDIT: somewhat related, but I read a little while ago that scientists are doing small scale experiments on warp drives. I think that would likely be what would be used for interstellar travel, not near lightspeed travel.

Last edited by magnax1 : 10-17-2012 at 06:51 PM.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

G-Funk has decent reputation

we got chuck norris

G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: