Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
adamcz
Bucks fan

Default Best jazz groups today, and their newest albums

Too much emphasis in jazz is placed on dead guys who don't need your money any longer. Let's show some love to the brilliant players who are in their prime right now, who could use your money.

FLY (Mark Turner, Larry Grenadier, Jeff Ballard)
To a certain extent, this is music for musicians. Every time I go to see them play, I know almost the entire audience - maybe that says this music isn't listener friendly; I don't know.. Still, Mark Turner is a ****ing brilliant tenor player with a completely unique and identifiable sound.

Flow (Terence Blanchard)
It's a real shame that this group is breaking up. They were only together for a couple years, and two albums, but were hands down one of the best bands around. Terence did the intelligent thing in copying Miles' proven formula for success - be one of the baddest players on earth, and surround yourself with the best up and coming young players. Tell them to write music for the band and then record it. Easy as that.

Braggtown (Branford Marsalis)
Sort of the Spurs of the jazz world. No gimmicks or needless flash, very little roster turnover, just some of the best musicians alive playing serious music. This album, like any of their last five or so, is simply the real deal. These guys aren't really radio friendly (nor are the Spurs all that TV friendly) but you can't deny that they're at the top of their field.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Excellent suggestions. Something for me to look out for on my next trip to Amazon.com. Thanks!

I'm also fond of Cassandra Wilson. Her "New Moon Daughter" is great. Hell, anybody who can make the Monkees' "Last Train to Clarksville" sound good is OK by me.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
adamcz
Bucks fan

Don't try to derail my thread. This is about the best groups and their newest album. Cassandra doesn't have one of the best groups (does she even have a working band?), and the album you mentioned is more than 10 years old.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

SexMob is a great fun group. All of the albums are good
Newest is Sexotica (tribute to MArtin DennY) so you might not like it with your imposed musical barriers.

Bill Frisell's tonal control is awesome. Most expressive guitarist I can think of. His East/West album from last year is very good. HAvent picked up the latest, but its him, Ron Carter and Paul Motian si Im pretty sure itll rock.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Don't try to derail my thread. This is about the best groups and their newest album. Cassandra doesn't have one of the best groups (does she even have a working band?), and the album you mentioned is more than 10 years old.
gotta love jazz snobs, she doesnt count cause it has to be a Band? Is it really jazz if there is singing?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Anybody who has been following the debate between adamcz and myself may have gotten a bit confused on how we could argue what a particular genre of jazz is. "Well ****- I can tell country from metal. What's the problem?" In jazz, the distinctions are not always that easy. So I thought you'd enjoy hearing selections of each of them for yourselves.

Below are links to examples of each of the earliest genres. I'll post up links for the rest later (or maybe adamcz will ). Have a listen and you can see how the artform developed from its earliest days.

New Orleans Jazz
"Jelly Roll" Morton Black Bottom Stomp

Chicago Jazz
Fletcher Henderson Stealin' Apples

Swing (Big Band)
Benny Goodman King Porter Stomp

Bebop
Coleman Hawkins When Day Is Done

If any of these links don't work, please let me know. It's the first time I've dealt with megaupload.com and I'm not so sure about them...

1. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KDW3G7HN

2. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7R5W468S

3. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H5NGUD6A

4. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PVQHOHUN
Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
gotta love jazz snobs, she doesnt count cause it has to be a Band? Is it really jazz if there is singing?
Or more accurately, you dunces have no ability to understand simple directions.

What if I made a thread about the top active three point shooters? You idiots would rush in suggesting Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Magic Johnson. "What a basketball snob! Adam doesn't think Bill Russell is any good because he isn't a three point shooter!"

The issue isn't whether or not I think Cassandra is jazz or whether I think she's good. It's whether the 1996 album "New Moon Daughter" has any business in a thread about the best current jazz groups and their newest albums. As reality would have it, I do like Cassandra, but she doesn't really have a working band.

Heliege....
Edit your posts so that they have something to do with this thread. You already have your own thread dedicated to faulty definitions of jazz sub-genres. Why are you repeating all that stuff in a thread about the best current jazz groups and their newest albums?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
SexMob is a great fun group. All of the albums are good
Newest is Sexotica (tribute to MArtin DennY) so you might not like it with your imposed musical barriers.
You're assuming a lot of things about me that aren't true. I'm a believer that adjectives only have value in the english language when their definitions are widely understood and agreed upon. If you were to tell me that you love the Mavs' purple jerseys, I'd have to point out to you that those are blue, not purple. You would of course respond with "Your narrow definition of purple prevents you from enjoying the Mavs' jerseys" when I never expressed my opinion on them at all. Only that you were using the wrong label.

For the record, I listen to an awful lot of music that I don't consider to be jazz (mostly classical and hip hop).
Quote:
Bill Frisell's tonal control is awesome. Most expressive guitarist I can think of. His East/West album from last year is very good. HAvent picked up the latest, but its him, Ron Carter and Paul Motian si Im pretty sure itll rock.
East/West is the last one that I heard as well. The iTunes store is down right now, so I can't check out what the new one is.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I will have to pick up that new Terence Blanchard album
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
statman32
NBA Legend

best jazz artist ever
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:

She released "Thunderbird" last April and it was pretty damn good. I only mentioned "NMD" because I still can't get over the Monkee's remake.

Also, DAMN! Can I look forward to you correcting everything I post in here? It's like being back in Music Appreciation class. "Yes, Doctor adamcz. Yes, I agree that Kenny G should have been hung up by his testicles alongside Sadaam. Absolutely Doctor adamcz."
Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
You're assuming a lot of things about me that aren't true. I'm a believer that adjectives only have value in the english language when their definitions are widely understood and agreed upon. If you were to tell me that you love the Mavs' purple jerseys, I'd have to point out to you that those are blue, not purple. You would of course respond with "Your narrow definition of purple prevents you from enjoying the Mavs' jerseys" when I never expressed my opinion on them at all. Only that you were using the wrong label.

For the record, I listen to an awful lot of music that I don't consider to be jazz (mostly classical and hip hop).
East/West is the last one that I heard as well. The iTunes store is down right now, so I can't check out what the new one is.
I tend to agree with you, mostly just think you were beign a little too harsh on helige or whatever. I do agree his 2nd post in this thread shouldnt be in this thread. I would agree that your post in the other thread (musical genre splitting is a very limited way to understand music) is right on.

Ohh colors are a very subjective, cultural definition. Did you know that many cultures only have names for two colors, and those are always white and black. If a third color is named, it is always red. then it starts to diverge. pretty interesting.

Where do you teach this jazz course at?

Bill's new album is called Bill Frisell/Ron Carter/Paul Motion and includes a bunch of trads and standards (including Imso lonesome I could cry). Gotta love his interpretations of non-standard jazz tunes. What a brilliant musician.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
I tend to agree with you, mostly just think you were beign a little too harsh on helige or whatever.
Maybe you're too new here to know who/what heliege is? Maybe I'm being too harsh anyway.
Quote:
Where do you teach this jazz course at?
Manhattan School of Music.
Quote:
Bill's new album is called Bill Frisell/Ron Carter/Paul Motion and includes a bunch of trads and standards (including Imso lonesome I could cry). Gotta love his interpretations of non-standard jazz tunes. What a brilliant musician.
I like Frisell a lot, though I only have a couple of his albums. Never seen him live either - I guess I've always had something going on when he's come through the Vanguard.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
adamcz
Bucks fan

Boozehound if you're curious, you can listen to a bunch of my tracks here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/czerepinski

Just click the play buttons on the left.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
BlackMoses
High school junior varsity star

Wayne Shorter has released some quality material as of late, although he's an old-timer

John Zorn always manages to keep it interesting

Joshua Redman

Erik Truffaz
BlackMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: