Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Anybody know any good documentaries?

Inside Job

Shock Doctrine

Roger and Me
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Nanners
Good college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Food, Inc. is another good one.

this. food inc is the best food documentary out there.

king corn is another good one. sicko is a good documentary if you dont mind all the doucheyness of michael moore. if you have netflix, there are a bunch of frontline documentaries on random things like the financial crisis or BP oil spill and they are almost always excellent.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The two premier documentary makers in the world right now are probably: Werner Herzog and Errol Morris.

Big fan of the former, not so much of the latter. But look for their work to see some of the standards of the genre.

Also, since we are on a basketball forum I can't believe Hoop Dreams hasn't been mentioned yet. One of the most compelling documentaries of all time.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

"when we were kings" the Ali documentary. Possibly the best one I've seen, and I've seen alot of documentaries.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Here's a few I recommend:

Dear Zachary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtyY0CXdiNo

Billy The Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitJEF9ASZo

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIapa-U0bY

King of Kong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJZ-_bJKdI

The Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ZJ637ep9U

Catfish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuE98oeL-e0
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Here's a few I recommend:

Billy The Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitJEF9ASZo

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIapa-U0bY

King of Kong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJZ-_bJKdI

Outstanding choices. I'd add:

Capturing the Friedmans: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

The Man Who Would Be Polka King: http://www.polkakingmovie.com/

We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen: http://theminutemen.com/home.html
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Vice is a pretty awesome source of docs
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
"when we were kings" the Ali documentary. Possibly the best one I've seen, and I've seen alot of documentaries.
I loved "When We Were Kings". I own it and I highly recommend it. The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUHYUpmTFs

The climax seems to regularly bring me near tears, I can't really explain it. I always know what's going to happen, but it still gets me.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
monkeypox
National High School Star

monkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this boardmonkeypox is popular on this board

The Bridge, as someone listed above. They spent 1 year watching the golden gate bridge and trying to capture every suicide. Extremely powerful, particularly if you know someone close that killed themselves. I'll literally never see the bridge the same way again.

HoopDreams if you haven't seen it. If only to see some NBA players like Juwan Howard in the background at the McDonalds all american game. But it gives you lots of insight on just how hard it is to make it in the NBA and how the prep system chews up these inner city kids and spits them out the very second they're no longer useful.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypox
HoopDreams if you haven't seen it. If only to see some NBA players like Juwan Howard in the background at the McDonalds all american game. But it gives you lots of insight on just how hard it is to make it in the NBA and how the prep system chews up these inner city kids and spits them out the very second they're no longer useful.
Another incredible documentary. I remember being bored by it when I was in middle school, expecting a basketball-centric storyline. However, it seems to be much more about life. It's another film that can get me emotional at times.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Rnbizzle
Banned

Rnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Anything by Louis Theroux is worth watching. 'The Most Hated Family Of America' is probable the most famous documentary he's made, if you haven't seen that, that's a pretty good place to start.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

Like others have said king of kong is the citizen Kane of documentaries. man on wire is another good one.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe

William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe is a documentary film about the late American civil rights attorney William Kunstler directed by daughters Emily Kunstler and Sarah Kunstler that premiered at the 25th Sundance Film Festival in January 2009.[1]

William Kunstler was a famous 20th-century lawyer whose clients included Martin Luther King Jr., Larry Davis, Malcolm X,[1] Phillip and Daniel Berrigan, Abbie Hoffman, H. Rap Brown, Stokely Carmichael, Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Filiberto Ojeda Ríos and Leonard Peltier. The New York Times called him "the most hated and most loved lawyer in America". Kunstler served as the negotiator for inmates at the prison uprising at Attica State Prison in New York in 1971.[2]

This film is a co-production of the Independent Television Service (ITVS) and was broadcast on the PBS television series P.O.V. in June 2010. The film was an official selection of the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. It also received a 2008 grant from the Foundation for Jewish Culture's Lynn and Jules Kroll Fund for Jewish Documentary Film. Arthouse Films released the film theatrically in North America in 2009.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPjMva8u9I
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
nightprowler10
Bring Back Bogans!

nightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternightprowler10 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How the Universe Works: Awe inspiring graphics are worth it.

An Inconvenient Truth: Gets a bit of flack but it's well done.

The Cove: Another one that catches some flack but it's very well done.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Recommend me some good history documentaries. Thanks
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: