Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
BlueandGold
bball/boxing
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: White Priviledge

at all the 1 liner responses by people who probably read 2 paragraphs of the entire article.

White privilege is a recognized inequality in the entire academic/sociological/political landscape and environment, deal with it. I'm an irish/italian american that grew up in both an underprivileged area of america as well as an extremely affluent part (parents had no choice but to live in the underprivileged part during their time in medical school).

I don' really want to go that much further into detail because the people that have seen me post on here know i can type a dissertation on this topic (or others), but seriously, look how long the wikipedia article is. I'm not saying wikipedia is an infallible source but what it is is a culmination of a ton of different third party sources, which are required for you to even edit the most minor detail of a multiple-page wikipedia article.

And seriously for all my fellow white americans bitching that it's 2012, not 1812, grow the **** up.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
MJ23forever
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
MJ23forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 738
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
it happens... My wife is Italian... Plenty of good stories I could tell you.. but here's one.

Me & my wife went out to eat.. We had a good dinner, chatted for awhile. before we get ready to leave she goes to the bathroom, and i wait for her. she comes out telling me how some white woman in the bathroom was asking her if she was OK and she needed help (trying to escape the black guy she just had dinner with).. My wife got mad and then when the white woman realized how dumb she looked? she started apologizing and trying to explain...

I saw the woman when she came out.. old drunk looking hag...

What does that have to do with "white privilege" and not some random racist white bitch?

You know one of my best friends has been dating a black woman for six years now in rural North Carolina. If he can handle it then you sure as hell can.
MJ23forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,343
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
What does that have to do with "white privilege" and not some random racist white bitch?

You know one of my best friends has been dating a black woman for six years now in rural North Carolina. If he can handle it then you sure as hell can.


if you took the time to actually read what I wrote and how it relates to the other post? they are similar stories... nothing was said about white privilege in my post

but since you wanna learn.... here is a nice little video to get you started


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Xe1kX7Wsc
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia
 
Dictator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,810
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Don't have drugs on you and it won't be a problem.

Cops Plant Drugs On Suspect, Lets Dog Attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbFsZNcBeug
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,690
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Here's the major part about white privilege that many don't comprehend:

Say there's a black student in a math class. This black student just does not seem to understand the math whatsoever. He's difficult to teach, intolerable at times due to attitude problems, speaks with distinguishable slang, etc.

The teacher will obviously have a problem with this student, even if he/she isn't a racist.

Because of this student, every time the teacher encounters another black student in future classes, he/she will immediately assume the student is worthless and won't actually do anything productive in the class, thus causing future students to feel neglect in the classroom.

A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as fuck, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

[/b]




You can talk about racism and white priveledge all day, and I won't debate that it exists.

But that's the worst analogy/example/scenario I've ever seen presented by someone purporting that it means something.

The teacher automatically is going to have a problem with black students but not white? You try to qualify it with the ridiculous "even if he/she isn't a racist", then attribute to them the very core quality of racism: attributing certain traits/characteristics to all people because of the color of their skin.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,343
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
But that's the worst analogy/example/scenario I've ever seen presented by someone purporting that it means something.



Cenk from TYT has some great examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ONuB...eature=related

check em out^
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
MJ23forever
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
MJ23forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 738
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
at all the 1 liner responses by people who probably read 2 paragraphs of the entire article.

White privilege is a recognized inequality in the entire academic/sociological/political landscape and environment, deal with it. I'm an irish/italian american that grew up in both an underprivileged area of america as well as an extremely affluent part (parents had no choice but to live in the underprivileged part during their time in medical school).

I don' really want to go that much further into detail because the people that have seen me post on here know i can type a dissertation on this topic (or others), but seriously, look how long the wikipedia article is. I'm not saying wikipedia is an infallible source but what it is is a culmination of a ton of different third party sources, which are required for you to even edit the most minor detail of a multiple-page wikipedia article.

And seriously for all my fellow white americans bitching that it's 2012, not 1812, grow the **** up.

>The world is unfair. Why should we make any effort to be fair, ourselves.

You just lost your right to be a person.
MJ23forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia
 
Dictator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,810
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
>The world is unfair. Why should we make any effort to be fair, ourselves.

You just lost your right to be a person.

Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
BlueandGold
bball/boxing
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You can talk about racism and white priveledge all day, and I won't debate that it exists.

But that's the worst analogy/example/scenario I've ever seen presented by someone purporting that it means something.

The teacher automatically is going to have a problem with black students but not white? You try to qualify it with the ridiculous "even if he/she isn't a racist", then attribute to them the very core quality of racism: attributing certain traits/characteristics to all people because of the color of their skin.
The example was I admit a little weak but what he's stating is that racial profiling is very difficult to get by and seems inherent if not a part of the majority of white americans. Trust me, through hanging around both an extremely homogeneous white group of friends and an equally homogeneous black group of friends (like i was the only non-black person there) I can assure the conversations are quite different on both sides of the line.

If your a white person on here who has majority white friends don't tell me that you haven't seen the n word get thrown around every other sentence during casual conversations. That's why the "This is 2012 not 1812 really irked me a little", I mean seriously if this is the 21st sentence then you should know how to act like it.

White privilege is essentially this. White people founded this country (mostly protestant as well should i say). So all of the laws in this country are written by these white protestants who were trying to protect their land from other white people (the British) making their own sets of these white catholic laws in order to steal money from the poor white protestants of this country. So as a counter-measure, these white protestants wrote their own laws, which undeniably protects their own property (which they so eloquently put as their "god given right"), which they in turn called their personal "liberties".

So aside from this history lesson this is what happened since then. White protestants have had centuries of time to build up the capital and property that they already had when they landed here 300 years ago. They have passed more laws that protect personal property while also accruing even more of their own since then. Black americans, didn't have a head start on obtaining their property until arguably the early 1900s if not late 1800s and even then they faced major obstacles (like being lynched, judges not voting their way, having to submit to all white juries, finding that all of the employers are white) on accruing this personal capital.

And by personal capital i mean everything from the neighborbood my parents live in, to what personal amenities i'm able to afford because of my this, to what educational attainment i'm able to afford because of, to what friends, colleagues and associates im' able to be around because of this and finally to what parties and social gatherings i may get invited to because of this fact. The founding white americans who set up this system of government have had generations of time to accumulated this type of capital.

By the mere fact of you being white already means you have a huge head start on this type of capital and most importantly even if you don't you look like the people that do, which is a reward and benefit in itself (more likely to be hired for jobs, more likely to not get profiled, and of course more likely to way less harsher sentence terms).

I could go on but you get the point.

Anyone want to actually read the Wikipedia article and then post something in relation to it? I'm just not going to reply to "durr it doesnt exist this is 2012"

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageretard
>The world is unfair. Why should we make any effort to be fair, ourselves.

You just lost your right to be a person.

Touche it was two lines this type. Bested your personal record?

Last edited by BlueandGold : 04-24-2012 at 04:16 PM.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,343
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
The example was I admit a little weak but what he's stating is that racial profiling is very difficult to get by and seems inherent if not a part of the majority of white americans. Trust me, through hanging around both an extremely homogeneous white group of friends and an equally homogeneous black group of friends (like i was the only non-black person there) I can assure the conversations are quite different on both sides of the line.

If your a white person on here who has majority white friends don't tell me that you haven't seen the n word get thrown around every other sentence during casual conversations. That's why the "This is 2012 not 1812 really irked me a little", I mean seriously if this is the 21st sentence then you should know how to act like it.

White privilege is essentially this. White people founded this country (mostly protestant as well should i say). So all of the laws in this country are written by these white protestants who were trying to protect their land from other white people (the British) making their own sets of these white catholic laws in order to steal money from the poor white protestants of this country. So as a counter-measure, these white protestants wrote their own laws, which undeniably protects their own property (which they so eloquently put as their "god given right"), which they in turn called their personal "liberties".

So aside from this history lesson this is what happened since then. White protestants have had centuries of time to build up the capital and property that they already had when they landed here 300 years ago. They have passed more laws that protect personal property while also accruing even more of their own since then. Black americans, didn't have a head start on obtaining their property until arguably the early 1900s if not late 1800s and even then they faced major obstacles (like being lynched, judges not voting their way, having to submit to all white juries, finding that all of the employers are white) on accruing this personal capital.

And by personal capital i mean everything from the neighborbood my parents live in, to what personal amenities i'm able to afford because of my this, to what educational attainment i'm able to afford because of, to what friends, colleagues and associates im' able to be around because of this and finally to what parties and social gatherings i may get invited to because of this fact. The founding white americans who set up this system of government have had generations of time to accumulated this type of capital.

By the mere fact of you being white already means you have a huge head start on this type of capital and most importantly even if you don't you look like the people that do, which is a reward and benefit in itself (more likely to be hired for jobs, more likely to not get profiled, and of course more likely to way less harsher sentence terms).

I could go on but you get the point.

Anyone want to actually read the Wikipedia article and then post something in relation to it? I'm just not going to reply to "durr it doesnt exist this is 2012"


I give you credit.... You say you are Irish?

let me ask you this....Do you think privilege hurts whites too? I do, but I wanna see a white male's perspective on it...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
BlueandGold
bball/boxing
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I give you credit.... You say you are Irish?

let me ask you this....Do you think privilege hurts whites too? I do, but I wanna see a white male's perspective on it...
It does if you think long term because an unequal society is doomed to have major socially destabilizing repercussions. And i think it's apparent today when you see that the new socially exclusive medium is now money in that there are first place/vip/private only areas in every section of society that you go and that the average household income is getting dramatically worse and worse.

I think it's already been empirically established that the higher the wealth concentration gap the worse the overall conditions become for the majority of the citizens in that country. Some of the countries with the highest wealth disparity gaps are some of the crappiest countries to be in in the world. As you can see from this map the countries with the highest income disparity also happen to lie mostly within south america, africa, or the middle east.


It's only because there's oh so much wealth to go around in he US that the poor in this country aren't doing something about (ie: revolting against th rich, which many have already started doing). BTW I believe GINI (national health rating index) has already established that something less than a 0.4 on the wealth-income disparity rating is "seriously socially destabilizing" and that the US is getting close.

Btw i got my information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_inequality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_..._United_States

Last edited by BlueandGold : 04-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 16,633
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
let me ask you this....Do you think privilege hurts whites too? I do, but I wanna see a white male's perspective on it...
certainly through a loss of perspective, which accounts for a lot of the white denial that it even exists (see: hawker)

of course white guilt is the other side of the coin, 'the burden', and it's really not much better. it dehumanizes and objectifies the disenfranchised by portraying them as helpless victims who need super advanced western humanitarian society to save them from the evils of their nature (see: kony)




and everything the op wrote above captures the essence of white guilt much more than scholar's laughable example. even the premise of that supposedly neutral teacher must assume that only misbehaving black kids pass through their classroom, because if well behaved black kids also passed through, why wouldn't the teacher assume them as the stereotype for all kids of colour? the f*cking example is racist in and of itself.

white privilege exists because african americans remain a minority and because they've only been truly emancipated with full citizen rights for 50-60 years. which is less than a 6th of american history. that goes for most other ethnicities and immigrants as well, including those south of the border. the civil rights movement wasn't only fighting for black folk. so yeah, pretty much the continuing socioeconomic discrepancies between white and 'other' is a remnant of the same discrepancies that have existed for generations.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,343
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold
It does if you think long term because an unequal society is doomed to have major socially destabilizing repercussions. And i think it's apparent today when you see that the new socially exclusive medium is now money in that there are first place/vip/private only areas in every section of society that you go and that the average household income is getting dramatically worse and worse.

I think it's already been empirically established that the higher the wealth concentration gap the worse the overall conditions become for the majority of the citizens in that country. Some of the countries with the highest wealth disparity gaps are some of the crappiest countries to be in in the world. As you can see from this map the countries with the highest income disparity also happen to lie mostly within south america, africa, or the middle east.


It's only because there's oh so much wealth to go around in he US that the poor in this country are doing something about (ie: revolting against th rich, which many have already started doing). BTW I believe GINI (national health rating index) has already established that something less than a 0.4 on the wealth-income disparity rating is "seriously socially destabilizing" and that the US is getting close.


Yeah thats pretty close to what I was thinking... I am thinking of white privilege hurting white people, well middle class whites because white privilege has given alot of white Americans the idea that there isnt a class war in the USA.

people think it is a racial conflict, but I think it is a class war disguised as a race war..

I think if more middle class and poor people understood that, there would be less fighting among poor and middle class black and white people...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
BlueandGold
bball/boxing
 
BlueandGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,702
Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Yeah thats pretty close to what I was thinking... I am thinking of white privilege hurting white people, well middle class whites because white privilege has given alot of white Americans the idea that there isnt a class war in the USA.

people think it is a racial conflict, but I think it is a class war disguised as a race war..


I think if more middle class and poor people understood that, there would be less fighting among poor and middle class black and white people...
Yep that's exactly what it is. If you think about all type of "social struggles", women, sexual preference, recreational drugs, racial, what are essentially all of those social groups? Second class citizens, at best. Which is what this comes down to, those groups will always know that they will never truly be part of the ruling class (white, protest american) system of operations.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,097
Default Re: White Priviledge

I think white privilege gets thrown around too much. Yes, it exists. But if we're trying to convince people that it does exist, I think we need to be careful about how to do it. If you sit there and act like the only reason someone who is white is successful, then you're sort of acting like "Well, you didn't work hard, it was just society being kind to you because of your skin." Sort of how some white people like to act like every black person that got a job instead of them means they were a victim of Affirmative Action.

As for white guilt? I find that as useless as white pride.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy