Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #31
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: White Priviledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs

and everything the op wrote above captures the essence of white guilt much more than scholar's laughable example. even the premise of that supposedly neutral teacher must assume that only misbehaving black kids pass through their classroom, because if well behaved black kids also passed through, why wouldn't the teacher assume them as the stereotype for all kids of colour? the f*cking example is racist in and of itself.

I work in a school district in Philadelphia and while I agree that the situation is more complicated than it was implied, there is a nagging perception that white teachers treat minority children different for various reasons...

I think the 'white teacher' issue has alot of dimensions in it, from the teacher's personal feelings about black children, to the circumstances that landed the teacher in the classroom where they work (alot of young white teachers are thrown into bad situations that they cannot handle straight out of college and they often times dont react well or even quit). Youn teacher with no tenure get the worst classes and children can smell fear a mile away. Act like you cant handle the classroom and kid will smell your fear and start making your class a living hell...

This doesnt apply to all white teachers, but the original example isnt as far out as it sounds
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I think white privilege gets thrown around too much. Yes, it exists. But if we're trying to convince people that it does exist, I think we need to be careful about how to do it. If you sit there and act like the only reason someone who is white is successful, then you're sort of acting like "Well, you didn't work hard, it was just society being kind to you because of your skin." Sort of how some white people like to act like every black person that got a job instead of them means they were a victim of Affirmative Action.

As for white guilt? I find that as useless as white pride.

Even the idea of work can be distorted.

How excited do you think someone is going to be about work when he has to mop toilets all day for $15 an hour at best compared to someone who crunches numbers or cuts deals all day and gets paid a seven figure salary?
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Here's the major part about white privilege that many don't comprehend:

Say there's a black student in a math class. This black student just does not seem to understand the math whatsoever. He's difficult to teach, intolerable at times due to attitude problems, speaks with distinguishable slang, etc.

The teacher will obviously have a problem with this student, even if he/she isn't a racist.

Because of this student, every time the teacher encounters another black student in future classes, he/she will immediately assume the student is worthless and won't actually do anything productive in the class, thus causing future students to feel neglect in the classroom.

A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as fuck, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

Now to give you guys a clearer understanding of this:

A few Middle Eastern men hijacked planes and crashed them into buildings on September 11th, 2001. Due to the actions of those idiotic terrorists, anyone and everyone who even looks remotely Middle Eastern must be stopped, searched, mistreated, labelled, etc., in all airports (and even outside of airports) by people with the authority to do so, such as police officers, security guards, etc. Hell, even everyday citizens will and usually do feel uncomfortable around a man (or even woman) wearing a turban.

Understandable? Sure. You can never be too cautious, right?

But then you see what any other white man has done:
- Columbine shooting? 2 preppy white kids.
- Oklahoma bombing? A old white guy.
- Tower shooting at a university? Crazy ass white man.
- Recent shooting in Arizona of Gabrielle Giffords, as well as several bystanders? White guy.
- Charles Mason? Pretty sure he's a white guy.
Too many examples to name.

So a few Middle Eastern men hijack planes and crash them and everyone and their Middle Eastern-looking mama gets searched.

Some white guys kill thousands upon thousands of people without delay, without hesitation, without remorse, etc., and no white guy gets searched for possession of weaponry anywhere...?

White privilege.

BTW, this is coming from a person of color who is married to a white girl. Don't call me a racist or prejudice. I don't stereotype. I just know about racism more than I would like to.

You ever been stopped by white cops because they are concerned for the safety of the white woman you're holding hands with? "Is this man hurting you, ma'am?"

someone is full of ****!

all of this is your own personell insecurities....anyone could act like an ignorant fool if they wanted too (your example of a teacher viewing a person a certain way)..

what if the teacher had a run in with a freckle face Ginger?...would the teacher hate all freckle face ginger's too?....what if the person had a tattoo?....would the teacher hate all people with tattoo's??

many people act ignorant all the time..doesn't matter what color you are...only a idiot would think to judge (to the extreme extent) every other person because of physical similarities...(the way you described)

and to people pointing out how it's "white privelege"...wake up....

go travel the world...you think U.S.A. is the only place that people make judgements of others by the way they look?....

the U.S. is actually better then any country I have been too when it comes to people of every Race bieng able to live together , communicate with each other and grow together as a group.

are we perfect?....no, but what we stand for (as a country) is , and for every person acting like a idoit I see 100 examples of people acting like balanced star.

sometimes people lose sight how great our nation is....how much progress we made....instead of whining about every little mistake actually do something about it...

and if you still don't get it....go live Kosavo , China , Somalia , Middle East or South America....then come back here and complain teacher didn't spend enough time with you..
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
JohnnyWall
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandGold

How excited do you think someone is going to be about work when he has to mop toilets all day for $15 an hour at best compared to someone who crunches numbers or cuts deals all day and gets paid a seven figure salary?

Never experienced the real world, have we?

The person mopping that toilet is doing so because of a lack of education or skills. Not because his skin has a particular pigment. I've seen plenty of black people in white-collar jobs and management positions, and plenty of white people doing really shitty labor jobs.

My first boss was actually black. He was also well-educated and hard-working. Something tells me those latter two qualities were more significant factors of his success than the color of his skin, and he'd tell you the same. Race is a cop-out these days. Either used as an excuse for failure or an easy explanation for success. It's bullshit.
JohnnyWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:

very excited...because most people with those Jobs lack the paper education to have a high paying job...most of those people may be trying to support thier family and feed thier children....most of those people never had a chance to go to school...never had a great Family atmsophere to help them...never were around money and the privlege of parents buying them things...

most of those people will work those Jobs so they can try to make thier childrens life better...and will understand hard work and a mindset to never give up....thier children will go to school and be the ones making the 6 figures....

(then a few generations later the kids will never know what hard work is and become whiny spoiled brats...complaing that the U.S.A is biased)
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKhy...eature=related
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
MJ23forever
High School Varsity 6th Man

btw, here's a tip:

Comply with the police, so there's leniency.

Hell. Anybody who just f*cking complies with the police are shown leniency. Just don't be a rude douche-bag, and the police will likely treat you in kind.

All it takes to escalate a situation, and make your charge worse, is to give the cops a hard time.

I was arrested with a black dude once a few years ago. I got let go. He got beaten, charged with more crimes, and got prosecuted to the max. Racist, right? "White privilege", right?

>except I said yes sir, no sir, and cooperated, he spat in their face, called a black cop an "uncle Tom ass n*gga, motha fu*ka", and was shouting at people nearly the whole time.
MJ23forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
Deuce Bigalow
5-time NBA champion

If it aint white, it aint right
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #39
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
btw, here's a tip:

Hell. Anybody who just f*cking complies with the police are shown leniency. Just don't be a rude douche-bag, and the police will likely treat you in kind.

All it takes to escalate a situation, and make your charge worse, is to give the cops a hard time.

I was arrested with a black dude once a few years ago. I got let go. He got beaten, charged with more crimes, and got prosecuted to the max. Racist, right? "White privilege", right?

>except I said yes sir, no sir, and cooperated, he spat in their face, called a black cop an "uncle Tom ass n*gga, motha fu*ka", and was shouting at people nearly the whole time.

I have to agree with what the ignorant racist above sadly. I remember a few years ago I was walking to the supermarket and I passed by this big parking lot used by a nearby botanical garden, saw 2 Black dudes acting kind of shady (too bad I didn't have my gun on me otherwise I could've observed and reported Zimmerman style ). Figured they were just smoking up, didn't think anything of it, kept on to my destination. About 10 minutes later I'm walking back, with a shopping cart and listening to music on an IPOD mind you, pass by the same parking lot. Next thing I know about 4 police squad cars pull up next to me, cop in the lead car tells me to stop. He asks me if I know anything about people who just stole a car from that parking lot and says I fit the description of the suspect (again, was pushing a cart down the street, obviously typical post car theft behavior). So I'm surrounded by a bunch of cops asking me where I was coming from, where I live, what I saw, etc.

I calmly answered all the questions, even when the one cop asked if I had any weapons on me. After a while they just got back in their cars and drove off and I plugged my ear phones back in and kept strolling down the street. Thinking back on that situation, could've been much worse than it was if I had been jumpy, edgy, combative, etc. NYPD cops aren't really known for keeping their cool when they have someone who 'fits the profile' in front of them (see Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, and others).

But dealing with the NYPD>>>>>>>>>>>dealing with South African police/army during apartheid, now that was some good ole fashioned 'white privilege'
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #40
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Quote:

Because of this student, every time the teacher encounters another black student in future classes, he/she will immediately assume the student is worthless and won't actually do anything productive in the class, thus causing future students to feel neglect in the classroom.

Quote:
I don't stereotype.

ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #41
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
The example was I admit a little weak but what he's stating is that racial profiling is very difficult to get by and seems inherent if not a part of the majority of white americans. Trust me, through hanging around both an extremely homogeneous white group of friends and an equally homogeneous black group of friends (like i was the only non-black person there) I can assure the conversations are quite different on both sides of the line.

And, as I stated, I don't debate the existence of white priveledge, racism, racial profiling, etc.

My issue is with his example, which is absurdly ridiculous.

No need to explain to me what it's like on the other side of the fence. Only white guy, only freshman on a college basketball team. Local hot shot recruit. Been there, done that.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #42
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
btw, here's a tip:

some cops are just stupid and escalate situations themselves. Nothing you can do to prevent those situations.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
It does if you think long term because an unequal society is doomed to have major socially destabilizing repercussions. And i think it's apparent today when you see that the new socially exclusive medium is now money in that there are first place/vip/private only areas in every section of society that you go and that the average household income is getting dramatically worse and worse.

I think it's already been empirically established that the higher the wealth concentration gap the worse the overall conditions become for the majority of the citizens in that country. Some of the countries with the highest wealth disparity gaps are some of the crappiest countries to be in in the world. As you can see from this map the countries with the highest income disparity also happen to lie mostly within south america, africa, or the middle east.

It's only because there's oh so much wealth to go around in he US that the poor in this country aren't doing something about (ie: revolting against th rich, which many have already started doing). BTW I believe GINI (national health rating index) has already established that something less than a 0.4 on the wealth-income disparity rating is "seriously socially destabilizing" and that the US is getting close.

Btw i got my information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_inequality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_..._United_States

I'd just like to point out that the GINI coeffecient calculates the income distribution but not necesarrily the fairness of that distribution. GINI doesn't account for differences in income arising from differences in education, hours worked, and other categories that people are responsible for. That also doesn't answer question about white socio-economic privledge that helps create gaps in levels of education and whatnot but I just wanted to point that out. I'm writing a paper on a fairness version of the GINI so I've kind of been working with it a lot lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster

How do you not understand that's an example I'm giving? That's not me stereotyping, that's me giving an example of how white privilege exists.

Ok, to make it easier for everyone, here's 50 things that fall under white privilege as written by Peggy McIntosh in "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack."

Quote:
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

FWIW, Peggy is a white American female. If you're interested in reading the entire article she wrote, click this:
Click me
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Quote:
Here's the major part about white privilege that many don't comprehend:

Say there's a black student in a math class. This black student just does not seem to understand the math whatsoever. He's difficult to teach, intolerable at times due to attitude problems, speaks with distinguishable slang, etc.

The teacher will obviously have a problem with this student, even if he/she isn't a racist.

A white student won't have to worry about this. Any white student can be disruptive as fuck, but no matter what actions he/she takes, it will not affect future white students.

What I was trying to get at here with my "laughable example" was that because of this one African-American student doing poorly in this specific math class with this specific teacher, the teacher will not expect much out of future black students.

If a white student does poorly in various school subjects, it isn't attributed to his/her race. If a person of color does poorly, more likely than not the thought that pops into one's head is "oh, well, he's Mexican," "oh, well, he's Pakistani," "oh, well, he's black."
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: