Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Default Heated debate

Me and my boy are in the process of creating a sports blog (in the works, will let you guys know when it's done). We debate sports all of the time. He's one of my best friends but he's also a Cowgirls fan and he used to like the Bulls. We get into fierce debates. Here's the latest one that's literally been going on since last year lol It's gotten real heated on our facebooks and people are joining in. I want to know you guys opinion.

Who was better? Bernard King or Scottie Pippen? Before some of you automatically say Scottie, I just want to give you guys the numbers. I know they don't tell the whole story but still:

Bernard King:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../kingbe01.html

Scottie Pippen:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...pippesc01.html

For the record, I'm the one who says Bernard was better than Scottie!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Heated debate

King was the much better scorer, but Scottie was better overall, as a defender and distributor. Plus King's career was shortened by injury.

Pippen has to win this, and I hate Pippen.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
jared82
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Scottie will always get the nod in this one because of the rings. But B.K was much better offensively. Scottie was a bit better on defense, but I would say that Bernard's better all around.
jared82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Bernard King dropped 20+ ppg 4 times after tearing his ACL in a time where ACL's injuries were death sentences to players careers.Scottie dropped 20+ ppg 4 times in his entire career. Scottie was taller by and inch and more athletic yet only got .6 more rpg over his career. Scottie played point-forward most of his post Jordan career yet only avg 2 more apg.

Bernard dropped back to back 46 point games in the PLAYOFFS and has led the league in scoring. He single-handedly led to the demise of Kelly Tripucka's career lmao

Last edited by franchize : 04-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Have to go with Pippen.

Arguably the most versatile player in the history of the game.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Rameek
Krust Kingz

B. King an ELITE SCORER (one of my favorites) but Pippen was an ELITE BASKETBALL PLAYER!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

This is the classic "Overrate because he got a ring" syndrome the league and it's fans suffer from. See Tyson Chandler. See Kendrick Perkins. See Derek Fisher.

When Mike left, Scottie quickly became pedestrian. He underachieved in Houston and Portland with HOFers. Scottie without MJ,with the acception of like 2 years, was pretty average. No way he belongs on that 50 greatest players list. Not when King and Wilkins are off it.

Last edited by franchize : 04-25-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
This is the classic "Overrate because he got a ring" syndrome the league and it's fans suffer from. See Tyson Chandler. See Kendrick Perkins. See Derek Fisher.

When Mike left, Scottie quickly became pedestrian. He underachieved in Houston and Portland with HOFers. Scottie without MJ,with the acception of like 2 years, was pretty average. No way he belongs on that 50 greatest players list. Not when King and Wilkins are off it.

Pippen was an MVP candidate in 1994.

If I were a GM and building a team with a chance to build around one or the other, without knowing their future injury history, then I would pick King.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:

Yet, before Pippen, what did Mike win? Absolutely nothing.

And how do you criticize a player for being 33+ years old, and say he underachieved?

Now if your debate was who would you start a franchise with, I might agree with you on Bernard.

You know you should be ashamed lowering Pippen to the names of Role players.

King is this modern day is Melo.

Pippen in this modern day is LeBron.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:

Bro this is way off base. KnickCity summed it up well.

Jared mentioning the rings is not a classic anything in this section of the forum. Maybe he feels they are close as players and the rings takes Pippen over the top.

I love Bernard King but I had only 2 jerseys from Team USA Ewing and Pippen. Pippen was the best all around player ever and LBJ is Pippen on steroids.

In a greater percentage of people scoring means greatness. I disagree. To me the better player would be Pippen but if you want a FRANCHISE player King all day.

Pippen couldnt/didnt want to carry a team King could.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Knickscity did NOT sum it up well. Sorry. Pippen and LeBron aren't even close. Pippen scored over 20 4 times in his career. Jordan didn't need Pippen to win rings. He needed someone else who could score. He could have done it with a bunch of other scorers in the league. Pippen however, clearly showed that he needed Jordan, and Jordan only to win a ring.

Pippen was an MVP candidate in 94? LeBron is an MVP candidate EVERY YEAR. I can't stand LeBitch James but he is WAY better than Scottie Pippen. He's a WAY better scorer, WAY better passer, about equal rebounding wise, a better athlete and I actually think he's a better defender because he can guard stronger guys in the paint.

I'm not saying Pippen is a role player. That wasn't my point. I'm saying he, like those role players, has become overrated because of his rings.

Put it like this. If Bernard King is the best player on your team, and you have a solid core of role players, you'll go further than if Pippen is the best player on your team. At the ends of games, the Bulls ran plays for Kukoc. Not Pippen. Numbers don't tell the whole story but c'mon. Look at Bernard's production and Pippen's production. Once Mike left, Pippen's numbers started to decline dramatically.

People also act like Bernard King didn't play any defense. Not true at all! Was he as good as Pippen defensively? No but he wasn't Steve Nash either. Furthermore, for all of Pippen's deserved defensive accolades, he's gotten busted up in the playoffs quite a few times by guys like Penny and Drexler!

It's not only about scoring. But to use Rameek's words to help my argument. If one guy can carry a team and the other guy can't, I want the guy who can. To me, that's the better player. Stats or no stats.

For the record, the only reason Bernard King isn't a HOFer is because of that drug incident.

Last edited by franchize : 04-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I can see why this could be heated debate, but the only thing Berrnard King could do better than Pippen was score with the ball.

Pippen was efficient on both sides of the ball, and could do just about everything on the court, and that was even playing second fiddle.

Btw, how many playoff appearances did Bernard King have as the best player on his team?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

This guy.

My elders always speak very highly of King though, who was a little before my time. Pippen was great.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: