Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #316
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

mika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputation
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

I just finished rereading AFFC and the best parts were definitely Jaime and Cersei. I loved reading about Cersei handling things and thinking of herself as the female Tywin, then at the end it all goes downhill for her.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #317
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
The biggest favor you can do yourself while reading AFFC is to read it carefully. As in pay attention to each detail and try not to speed through it because it's at a different pace from the rest of the books.

I think AFFC is pretty underrated. If you don't go in expecting everything to happen at 100 mph like it did in the middle of ASOS you won't feel the way most people did about it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #318
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
He's spot on accurate.. it's a different pace and Brienne gets tiresome but Sansa, Jaime and Cersei carry the book nicely. Dorne eventually pays off and while not totally eventful I like Victorians chapters too.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #319
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Looks like Dany won't get much support when she finally comes.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #320
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Arriane

George released another sample chapter.. and you're welcome.

SPOILERS

My thoughts:

There might be some foreshadowing about dragons fighting (F)Aegon and Dany?? The young ugly girl at the table says she had dreams about dancing dragons and where they danced people died. Not sure why her dreams should mean anything though, but hey, it's GRRM.

Got some more details about the Darkstar, but mostly just his looks.

Arianne seems to be bad at Cryvesse and maybe I'm a crackpot but I think that says a lot. People that are good at it seem to be good at the "game of thrones" such as tyrion. Arianne thought she could show up and seduce Jon Connington the way she did Arys Oakheart.. she seems to rely on her beauty and not her wits.. and maybe her wits aren't all that great, as shown by her foiled plot to crown Myrcella.

Her sworn shield Daemon Sand seems neat, not much else about him other than he may or may not have fuct the red viper but definitely got it on with Arianne. Was given his knighthood by the Red Viper. I don't expect him to be a major player but might stick around for awhile.

Speaking of the Red Viper, we learn a little more about him. Sent to exile without being sent to exile.

The very end Arianne and Daemon talk about Dany as if she's the crazy one and not Viserys. I think they are wondering if (F)Aegon is as mad as the mad king also.. and there have been some hints that he is.

One last bit, I've heard it said that Jon Connington had the hots for Rheagar.. After reading about how Arianne doesn't think she could persuade him with sex.. I think that theory has some more traction.

Pretty pointless chapter exert. It doesn't really explain anything we don't know. And I like how characters just aren't buying the New Aegon is alive hook.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #321
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Pretty pointless chapter exert. It doesn't really explain anything we don't know. And I like how characters just aren't buying the New Aegon is alive hook.

I think the biggest piece of info was the foreshadowing of the dancing dragons. I think a second Dance with Dragons is going to happen sometime soon.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #322
longtime lurker

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
I think the biggest piece of info was the foreshadowing of the dancing dragons. I think a second Dance with Dragons is going to happen sometime soon.

Yeah but that was pretty much already foreshadowed in the house of the undying when Dany had all her visions. My bigger question is how a song of fire and ice comes into play. R+J not withstanding
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #323
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterItsMillerTime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

If this happens, Dany is obviously going to be the victor between the two. Once she smashes The Golden Company + (F)Aegon, all of Westeros should rally behind her, she becomes their queen and defeats the Others. Jon Snow will somehow become her king probably as well.
ItsMillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #324
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
If this happens, Dany is obviously going to be the victor between the two. Once she smashes The Golden Company + (F)Aegon, all of Westeros should rally behind her, she becomes their queen and defeats the Others. Jon Snow will somehow become her king probably as well.
Jon Snow rallies the North and due to a long forgotten pact between the first men but more importantly the Starks (There must always be a Stark in Winterfell) with the Others they move south to stop Dragons..
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #325
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

GRRM said ending is bittersweet. I don't think Jon and Dany survive, just one. I also wouldn't be surprised if they go against each other. The "join up and kill the Others" theory seems to cliche
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #326
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
GRRM said ending is bittersweet. I don't think Jon and Dany survive, just one. I also wouldn't be surprised if they go against each other. The "join up and kill the Others" theory seems to cliche

I thought the end would be a surprise like Stannis ends up on the throne, but it seems that Dany is going to lay waste to his ass or somehow he dies battling the Boltons. How will Dany and Jon Snow join up when Jon is dead or zombiefied
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #327
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
I thought the end would be a surprise like Stannis ends up on the throne, but it seems that Dany is going to lay waste to his ass or somehow he dies battling the Boltons. How will Dany and Jon Snow join up when Jon is dead or zombiefied
Allegedly dead or zombiefied. Beric seemed like he was okay on his first few resurrections though.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #328
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Allegedly dead or zombiefied. Beric seemed like he was okay on his first few resurrections though.

True. I think the Zombiefied aspect from Catelyn comes from having her neck cut. No circulation of blood to brain. Harder to breath. Makes her look like a zombie? I think the wound has alot to do with Cat
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #329
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sometimes the writer just says **** it this is my fantasy and it obeys my rules. So don't be surprised if Jon just miraculously recovers from his wounds with a kiss. Come on now even in regular fiction people get physically hurt very bad but recover so it wouldn't be a reach if Melisandre, more powerful than Thoros, manages to heal Jon before he passes the gates of death.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #330
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

spoilers ahead

I introduced my oldest sister and her husband to the Game of Thrones HBO series. They were hooked so I suggested that they read the books and told them about the amazon deal for the first 4 books for 20$. My sister starts to read the series and I don't think I have ever talked my sister more in my adult life. I told her that she is gonna want to get to that 3rd book, that's where it gets really good BUT don't skip ahead (she had admitted to doing it in the second book)! So last night we're talking and I ask for an update on her reading, she's about 500 pages in Jaime lost his hand, Robb married the wrong girl etc... and then she say, I have to be honest, I skipped ahead and I know Robb dies. I was so mad at her . I told her there is one last surprise and not to skip ahead anymore.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: