Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #451
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Legend
Renly was an adored leader as well, huge army and he was defeated pretty easily, although he never was a POV character like Vic.

I want to see Stannis sacrifice Theon to the Red God and somehow use that to defeat the Boltons.

Team Bolton are already screwed. Let's just say if you've read the Winds of Winter excerpt Stannis has a surprise for them. Winter is coming....
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #452
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Ancient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Team Bolton are already screwed. Let's just say if you've read the Winds of Winter excerpt Stannis has a surprise for them. Winter is coming....

Yeah he seems to pretty confident, like he has something up his sleeve for that battle...

Stannis is a badass, but something about Ramsay troubles me. Theon emphasized that too much...

Or could it be that the Others will be pour over the Wall and attack both camps at Winterfell?
Ancient Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #453
longtime lurker

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Yeah he seems to pretty confident, like he has something up his sleeve for that battle...

Stannis is a badass, but something about Ramsay troubles me. Theon emphasized that too much...

Or could it be that the Others will be pour over the Wall and attack both camps at Winterfell?

From Theon's chapter and excerpts from Asha's chapter you can get an idea of what Stannis has planned for the Boltons.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #454
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Ancient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
From Theon's chapter and excerpts from Asha's chapter you can get an idea of what Stannis has planned for the Boltons.

I haven't seen any type of Asha chapter or preview. I've only read the Theon and Arianne chapters, and the Vic excerpt. Will reread them again tonite.

Last edited by Ancient Legend : 04-27-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #455
longtime lurker

Quote:
I haven't seen any type of Asha chapter or preview. I've only read the Theon and Arianne chapters, and the Vic excerpt. Will reread them again tonite.

If you want I can tell you the idea behind it in white text. Not sure exactly who's chapter it comes from though.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #456
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So it looks like they combined Patchface and Shireen.She was singing one of patchfaces songs in the credits.

Also in the show Selmy said he wasnt on the small council when they were trying talking about killing Dany.In the books he was and was there when ned stark said no to killing dany.I wonder how this will effect the show.
Brujesino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #457
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
So it looks like they combined Patchface and Shireen.She was singing one of patchfaces songs in the credits.

Also in the show Selmy said he wasnt on the small council when they were trying talking about killing Dany.In the books he was and was there when ned stark said no to killing dany.I wonder how this will effect the show.

They also want to marry Cersei to Loras, instead of Wyllas? But I guess that turns out OK because later Cersei wants Loras to die in Dragonstone.

Quote:
If you want I can tell you the idea behind it in white text. Not sure exactly who's chapter it comes from though.

Please do so :)

So if I'm getting this right, there could be a number of Targaryens still alive, starting with:

Daenerys (daughter of Aerys Targaryen)
Tyrion (possible son of Aerys by way of Joanna Lannister)
Jon (possible son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen)
Aegon VI (son of Rhaegar, not confirmed if he's legit or just a ploy by Varys).
Brynden Rivers aka Bloodraven, the three eyed crow. Bastard son of Aegon IV.
Aemon, but he recently croaked.
All the current Baratheons descend from Rhaelle Targaryen. This includes bastards like Gendry, Edric Storm and Mya Stone.

Did I miss any?

Last edited by Ancient Legend : 04-29-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #458
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Just started rereading these. I've read a few of the theories and I didn't pick any of that stuff up the first time around so I'm gonna pay a lot closer attention this time.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #459
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
They also want to marry Cersei to Loras, instead of Wyllas? But I guess that turns out OK because later Cersei wants Loras to die in Dragonstone.

So if I'm getting this right, there could be a number of Targaryens still alive, starting with:

Daenerys (daughter of Aerys Targaryen)
Tyrion (possible son of Aerys by way of Joanna Lannister)
Jon (possible son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen)
Aegon VI (son of Rhaegar, not confirmed if he's legit or just a ploy by Varys).
Brynden Rivers deceased aka Bloodraven, the three eyed crow. Bastard son of Aegon IV.
Aemon, but he recently croaked.
All the current Baratheons descend from Rhaelle Targaryen. This includes bastards like Gendry, Edric Storm and Mya Stone.

Did I miss any?

He's a tree now.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #460
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
that works too, i was just tailoring it to the jon snow aspect. another theory is

dany = fire and jon = ice and those 2 eventually hook up

I have a crackpot theory that's been brewing in my head for a while having to do with the above. Like many people, I think Jon is the offspring of Rhaegar and Lyanna, just makes too much sense to not be true. I also think that eventually Jon and Dany are married, and their son becomes the fulfillment of the various prophecies about the savior of the world.

I pulled up the various prophecies and realized that while most people focus on 'the prince who was promised' and azor ahai, most people forget about the Dothraki 'stallion who mounts the world'. At first it seemed like Dany was the prince/princess and that Jon might be Azor Ahai reborn but either theory leaves out some key points.

The Prince that was promised

"He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire."
-Rhaegar (referring to his son Aegon) in Dany's vision in the House of the Undying.

The prince that was promised is a prophesied leader or savior. The prince may be part of an ancient prophecy, a prophecy that foretells the coming of a hero to deliver the world from darkness. A "bleeding star" is supposed to herald the coming of the prince.

Signs of the coming of the prince that was promised
The birth of a male child - a prince. (erroneous according to Maester Aemon)

The prince is of the blood of the dragon.

Born amidst smoke.

Born amidst salt.

A bleeding star in the skies. [1] (also mentioned is being born beneath a bleeding star)

The return of dragons? (when he was a boy Aegon V recalled that King Aerys read about the return of dragons in a prophecy.)

The dark eye falls upon the prince?
Some important conditions of the Prince
Ser Barristan Selmy talks to Dany about her mother and father. He mentions that her grandsire commanded that they be wed after a woods witch had foretold that the prince who was promised would be born of their line.

"The dragon must have three heads…but I am too old to be one of them. I should be with her, showing her the way, but my body has betrayed me."

-Maester Aemon
Azor Ahai

“It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”
--Melisandre

According to the prophecy recounted by Melisandre, after a long summer, Azor Ahai will be reborn amidst smoke and salt wielding the flaming sword Lightbringer to defend the world from R'hllor's nemesis, the Other. While Melisandre is certain Stannis Baratheon is Azor Ahai, others are not so sure.

It seems very possible Dragonstone is the place Azor Ahai will be reborn as it is a volcanic island, thus providing both smoke from the mountain and salt from the sea.

The Stallion Who Mounts the World

"As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name." The old woman trembled and looked at Dany almost as if she were afraid. "The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world."

-Dosh Khaleen

The Stallion Who Mounts the World is a Dothraki prophecy about a future figure who will rise to become the most powerful khal ever seen. In A Game of Thrones, Daenerys's son with Khal Drogo, Rhaego was believed to be the Stallion.[1] He died in the womb before any part of the prophecy could be fulfilled.

Ser Jorah explains exactly who the Stallion is

Most people assume that Drogo/Dany's stillborn son Rhaego was the Stallion and that the prophesy died with him. But in the past, others have misinterpreted auspices in the past. Both Rhaegar and Maester Aemon originally thought that Rhaegar was the prince/Ahai, then Rhaegar later became convinced that his son Aegon was. Melisandre is convinced that Stannis is Ahai. At first glance it appears that Dany is far and away the most likely candidate to be the Prince(Princess) and/or Azor Ahai, but two key factors are still missing with her.

The Dothraki sages were right- the stallion who is also the prince who is also Ahai, will be the offspring of Dany... it's just that Drogo won't be the father. The part that really stands out is the 3-headed dragon bit. Basically means that there has to be 3 with the blood of the dragon (aka Targaryen blood) to correspond with the 3 dragons that were hatched. With Maester Aemon gone, and Jon presumably the second dragon, one more is needed to fulfill every prerequisite of the prophesies (Not buying the Tyrion or 'Aegon' as Targaryens b.s.). I think Jon and Dany will eventually end up together, maybe even ruling on the Iron throne together (assuming it's still around after the Others invade). They will give birth to a son (most likely on Dragonstone) who will be in the unique position of being a dragon, a wolf, and the son of a Khaleesi. He would have a legitimate claim to be ruler of not only Westeros, but of all of the lands in the East belonging to the Dothraki and whatever he conquers.

He could unite not just the seven kingdoms, but also everything East of Westeros into one 'khalasar'/kingdom in a battle against the Others. The prophecies of the prince that was promised, the return of azor ahai, the stallion who mounts the world, the song of ice and fire are all about the same person.

/Rant. Hope that was somehow coherent
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #461
longtime lurker

Quote:

SPOILERS IN WHITE

Stannis has had his army drilling holes in the ice. He knows the Freys are morons and will charge his army head first, he mentions as much when he talks to Theon. Once that happens the Freys can say good bye to their army.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #462
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
He could unite not just the seven kingdoms, but also everything East of Westeros into one 'khalasar'/kingdom in a battle against the Others. The prophecies of the prince that was promised, the return of azor ahai, the stallion who mounts the world, the song of ice and fire are all about the same person.

/Rant. Hope that was somehow coherent

I haven't heard this version before. It fits quite well that their marriage would basically unite Essos and Westeros against the Others, and their child would have the blood of Ice & Fire.... the only problem is that there are only 2 books remaining for all of this to happen!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #463
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball

Quote:
SPOILERS IN WHITE

Stannis has had his army drilling holes in the ice. He knows the Freys are morons and will charge his army head first, he mentions as much when he talks to Theon. Once that happens the Freys can say good bye to their army.

And my reply, thanks!

Oh yeah, forgot about the fishing holes!!! I'm as dumb as a Frey it seems.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #464
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Just finished ADWD last night.
I don't really think R'hollor and his priests are good guys here. Melisandre talks aobut battle between him and The Great Other and how R'hollor represents light while The Other represents darkness, but she sees Bran as the champion of The Great Other as Stannis is hers.
Red priests use sacrifice for their spells, they raise the dead (necromancy) and she burns the weirwood and calls Old Gods demons while we have no reason to believe that they are evil.
Maybe red priests aren't evil, but they are being manipulated to think the things they do are for the greater good (burning people and stuff).
Until I see who is The Great Other there is no reason to think that R'hollor is good imo.

And one interesting thing I saw on other forum:
Valar morghulis. Valar dohaeris.
All men must die. All men must serve.
Think about that order, first die, then serve...

Eager to see how it all actually plays out.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #465
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board

So I am finishing the 5th book.

I don't think I have ever read about worse character than Daenerys. Hopefully something random kills her soon in the next book.

For example she lands in Westeros and immediately takes an arrow to the head.

I would call that the greatest moment ever.

/endofrant

Last edited by Trollsmasher : 05-03-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: