Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #511
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Theon's sample chapter
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #512
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
All of the sample chapters other than Tyrions which is just a summary since he read it out loud and didnt release it. There is a transcript somewhere but I cant find it right now....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4uB...ZVE/edit?pli=1
thanks
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #513
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Finished the books. Couldn't resist it after the ending of season 3.

Few things:

1) Littlefinger's character is amazing. The most intriguing character in the book, IMO. The show casted him perfectly. I will be interested to see how he ends up maneuvering his way into even greater power. The question will be, will someone figure him out before it happens? Who will be the one to take him down, if anyone? Varys, Perhaps?

2) Sad to see Tywin die for the shows purpose. To lose such a great actor and character will hurt.

3) Is the alchemist who killed Pate, J'hagan Hagar? We know he is a Faceless Man - the same thing Arya is training to become. He takes the face of Pate after he is killed. I wonder what he is doing in there? Who hired him?
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #514
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine

Few things:

1) Littlefinger's character is amazing. The most intriguing character in the book, IMO. The show casted him perfectly. I will be interested to see how he ends up maneuvering his way into even greater power. The question will be, will someone figure him out before it happens? Who will be the one to take him down, if anyone? Varys, Perhaps?

2) Sad to see Tywin die for the shows purpose. To lose such a great actor and character will hurt.

3) Is the alchemist who killed Pate, J'hagan Hagar? We know he is a Faceless Man - the same thing Arya is training to become. He takes the face of Pate after he is killed. I wonder what he is doing in there? Who hired him?
1) A lot of people think that Sansa will eventually backstab him somehow. It seems he is underestimating her and excepts her to follow him as a good dog, while we can see that she still has her own mind and does not agree with some of his decision (to get Sweetrobin out of the way for example).
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #515
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation hereItsMillerTime has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Few things:

1. Sansa will be his undoing, I'm almost sure of it. The 6th book was going to be called "A Time for Wolves" or something similar. Watch out for the remaining Starks to make big moves.

3. That is what many believe. We don't know for certain what he's doing at the Citadel, but the Faceless Men definitely have something planned.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #516
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
1. Sansa will be his undoing, I'm almost sure of it. The 6th book was going to be called "A Time for Wolves" or something similar. Watch out for the remaining Starks to make big moves.

3. That is what many believe. We don't know for certain what he's doing at the Citadel, but the Faceless Men definitely have something planned.
1) I think that title was for the last book. But I agree with you about Starks. The North is already about to fvck up Boltons and Freys. There are some great threads about this grand conspiracy of the whole North on westeros board. If Sansa really pulls off something against LF and Lady Stoneheart continues with her campaign in the Riverlands, we might very well see those lands united again.
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #517
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Few things:

1) I like the Sansa angle. It's biggest detraction is that it's almost too straightforward. But at some point Sansa is going to grow up and lose her temper. She's probably had the worst run of any living character in the books.

2) I think a lot of people are going to hate that moment. Charles Dance has owned that character. And I know the one reviewer I read all the time (Andy Greenwald on Grantland), is not a book guy, and looks at it as if the books don't exist, and he says one issue he has with working off of a source like this is the showrunners don't have the freedom to find something interesting, like Charles Dance is awesome, or Arya and Tywin are great together, and run with it as writers. They're bound to this pre-existing story. I think it will blow people away in a bigger way than it did in the books even though, just because of how good Dance has been. Even the moment with Shae at that point, I think will be a breath gasper for the TV only audience, because Dance has completely sold this staunch persona where nothing matters but his family's advancement, where in the books, he's almost just more of a plane old fashioned asshole.

3) That's the poplular theory. I think mostly because you can't make much of a theory about anyone else. Plus people love J'Hagan so I think there is some wishfull thinking on the subject. I don't think we have much to go on either way.
May favorite theory on that prologue chapter is the Alleras the Sphinx being Sarella, the briefly mentioned daughter of Oberyn being the same person. That's really cool to me. That came from a message board post that was linked in this thread I believe.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #518
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Few things:

1. sansa or varys, maybe a combination of both?
2. yeah, but tell me it wasn't satisfying when tyrion finally got his.
3.most people think so. one thing that seems to be skipped over is that there is some underlying tension between science (maesters) and magic (red god, old monsters coming back from legends, dragons) i would say the faceless men would be in the magic camp.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #519
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
1) I like the Sansa angle. It's biggest detraction is that it's almost too straightforward. But at some point Sansa is going to grow up and lose her temper. She's probably had the worst run of any living character in the books.

2) I think a lot of people are going to hate that moment. Charles Dance has owned that character. And I know the one reviewer I read all the time (Andy Greenwald on Grantland), is not a book guy, and looks at it as if the books don't exist, and he says one issue he has with working off of a source like this is the showrunners don't have the freedom to find something interesting, like Charles Dance is awesome, or Arya and Tywin are great together, and run with it as writers. They're bound to this pre-existing story. I think it will blow people away in a bigger way than it did in the books even though, just because of how good Dance has been. Even the moment with Shae at that point, I think will be a breath gasper for the TV only audience, because Dance has completely sold this staunch persona where nothing matters but his family's advancement, where in the books, he's almost just more of a plane old fashioned asshole.

3) That's the poplular theory. I think mostly because you can't make much of a theory about anyone else. Plus people love J'Hagan so I think there is some wishfull thinking on the subject. I don't think we have much to go on either way.
May favorite theory on that prologue chapter is the Alleras the Sphinx being Sarella, the briefly mentioned daughter of Oberyn being the same person. That's really cool to me. That came from a message board post that was linked in this thread I believe.

considering that the physical descriptions are almost exact (besides gender) and the names are the same spelled backwards i thought it was a given that they were the same person.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #520
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Im wondering how they approach the Shaq thing on the show. They have made her so....well...noble. Shes not out for money. turns down money enough for a palace overseas and a new life.

In the books she straight sells him out and starts ****ing his dad?

Plus...no chain on the show so how would he strangle her? I dont see him just...overpowering her. It wouldnt look realistic. Shae would beat his ass.

Perhaps shoot both with the same shot? One in front of the other? Hes not gonna....reload.

But he has to kill her or maybe they have Tywin do it. She would go with him overseas if she lived.

Maybe have someone do it after the trial? They have too good a relationship on the show for her to just turn on him like that.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #521
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

It's going to be weird when people find out Jorah sold Daenerys out to Varys, then sends his ass packing.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #522
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

So has anybody read any other book series that are as good as this one?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #523
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Few things:

1. I honestly don't think Littlefinger will come down. I like the theory that Sansa will be his undoing but that seems to predictable. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Petyr will be one the victors of this series when it's all said and done.

2. No doubt about it

3. Yup, the alchemist seems to match all of the descriptions. His motives are unlear but I agree with renzor regarding the FM vs. Maesters battle going on

On another note, I'm still pissed that aDwD lacked a climax scene. We have to wait 5 years for the freaking battle scene that should been at the end of the 5th book
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #524
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Im wondering how they approach the Shaq thing on the show. They have made her so....well...noble. Shes not out for money. turns down money enough for a palace overseas and a new life.

In the books she straight sells him out and starts ****ing his dad?

Plus...no chain on the show so how would he strangle her? I dont see him just...overpowering her. It wouldnt look realistic. Shae would beat his ass.

Perhaps shoot both with the same shot? One in front of the other? Hes not gonna....reload.

But he has to kill her or maybe they have Tywin do it. She would go with him overseas if she lived.

Maybe have someone do it after the trial? They have too good a relationship on the show for her to just turn on him like that.

i bet tywin rapes/kills her and that's what drives tyrion over the edge
Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #525
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
i bet tywin rapes/kills her and that's what drives tyrion over the edge
Yeah, I can see something lke this happening. Tyrion and Shae have so much deeper relationship than in the books...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: