Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #76
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Do you skim a lot when reading?

I'm not very bright

I was just reading really fast to get through and on to the next books. Not really skimming but not paying heavy attention to things.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #77
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when my womb quickens again and I bear a living child, Khal Drogo will return to me.

Quote:
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, [Quentyn Martell (the sun's son) coming from the west to die in the east]

When the seas go dry [The Dothraki sea - last chapter in Dance, Dany comments the grass is yellowing in the autumn, drying]

And mountains blow in the wind like leaves, [The pyramids of Meereen - the ones Viserion and Rhaegon burnt down to ash]

When my womb quickens again and I bear a living child, [Dany was pregnant when Drogon took her - she miscarried in the Dothraki sea due to bad water/food and stress (same stuff made my own wife miscarry once, sadly)]

Khal Drogo will return to me. [Then Drogon comes and finds Dany as she's trying to walk back to Meereen, just after she goes over this prophecy in her head - this time, he is helping Dany rather than just taking her out to the middle of no where and it seems that he has finally accepted she is going to ride him at will now - in other words, he is finally there for her]

Pretty interesting, found it on the Westeros forum.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #78
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^ Nice!
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #79
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Belongs in here as well...

Watch the Simpsons’ amazing Game of Thrones intro
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #80
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
Pretty interesting, found it on the Westeros forum.

Good find that's amazing. I never would have gotten all of that if it wasn't for that explanation.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #81
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #82
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'm loving what they're doing with jaime's character, im about halfway through storm of swords and just got to his weirdass dream with his fam and victims under casterly rock. martin is pretty good with his dream sequences, this one was much more vivid and coherent but still didn't appear to give too much away

regardless, in terms of the fate of the lannister family as a whole, i really like jaime's direction

also, MAN does martin keep fueling cat's guilt from one scene to the next. she's pretty much the root cause of her entire family falling apart, she appears to have fked up royally again re: kingslayer, and by the looks of where i am in the book (spoiler: rob leaving jeyne in riverrun to head to the twins for the marriage, a few chapters after the thoros tells lightning bolt and his buddies that riverruns about to be attacked

tragic hero or just a dumb ol sot? maybe the great jon is right and women don't have the guts and hearts for the coldness of war

Last edited by RidonKs : 05-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #83
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
i'm loving what they're doing with jaime's character, im about halfway through storm of swords and just got to his weirdass dream with his fam and victims under casterly rock. martin is pretty good with his dream sequences, this one was much more vivid and coherent but still didn't appear to give too much away

regardless, in terms of the fate of the lannister family as a whole, i really like jaime's direction

also, MAN does martin keep fueling cat's guilt from one scene to the next. she's pretty much the root cause of her entire family falling apart, she appears to have fked up royally again re: kingslayer, and by the looks of where i am in the book (spoiler: beep beep boop boop

tragic hero or just a dumb ol sot? maybe the great jon is right and women don't have the guts and hearts for the coldness of war

Jaime becomes easily likable and one of the better characters. It's fun to watch or hear peoples opinion of him change through the series.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #84
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Jaime becomes easily likable and one of the better characters. It's fun to watch or hear peoples opinion of him change through the series.
Hes one of the few things I loved about A Feast For Crows.. Cerseis' nutzoness as well but mostly The Kingslayers' story of redemption..
Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #85
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Hes one of the few things I loved about A Feast For Crows.. Cerseis' nutzoness as well but mostly The Kingslayers' story of redemption..

I hear (and experienced) on the first read through that's basically what you do. Is skim by on Jaime's redemption and Cersei's buffoonery. On the second read through I hear there is a lot of little gems in that book that we miss. I just restarted the first book, Ned and King Robert just had their talk out in the meadow on the way to KL. Not very far in at all.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #86
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I hear (and experienced) on the first read through that's basically what you do. Is skim by on Jaime's redemption and Cersei's buffoonery. On the second read through I hear there is a lot of little gems in that book that we miss. I just restarted the first book, Ned and King Robert just had their talk out in the meadow on the way to KL. Not very far in at all.
I have read the series four times during the last 7 years but I could never bring myself to skip anything, Samwell's chapters really tested me but I read them all anyway.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #87
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:
Yeah im thinking that possibly I will like AFFC better on a second read.. particularly since ill be able to read it rapidly due to having already read it before. I plan on reading the whole series a second time but Im likely going to wait a while, since I have so many other books in my to-read list.

Ill likely read the whole thing again sometime before Season 3 of the show begins or when The Winds of Winter comes out. Assuming I could wait that long..lol
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #88
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
I have read the series four times during the last 7 years but I could never bring myself to skip anything, Samwell's chapters really tested me but I read them all anyway.

I spend some time lurking in the westeros forums and these people find shit that is just crazy. Stuff that I would never have picked up on. Possibly with 100 read throughs. I'm trying to go really slow and pick up on stuff I didn't the first time.. with some help from Westeros forums.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #89
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I spend some time lurking in the westeros forums and these people find shit that is just crazy. Stuff that I would never have picked up on. Possibly with 100 read throughs. I'm trying to go really slow and pick up on stuff I didn't the first time.. with some help from Westeros forums.
I used to be one of them, but don't hold that against me I aint nothing like those freaks
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #90
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs

also, MAN does martin keep fueling cat's guilt from one scene to the next. she's pretty much the root cause of her entire family falling apart, she appears to have fked up royally again re: kingslayer, and by the looks of where i am in the book (spoiler: rob leaving jeyne in riverrun to head to the twins for the marriage, a few chapters after the thoros tells lightning bolt and his buddies that riverruns about to be attacked

As mentioned, Jamie's part was one of the few characters in AFFC that I enjoyed (out of the newer pesrpectives). There was actually some discrepancy between what Jaime is thinking with how he's portrayed/seen by other characters. I was looking forward to the Cersei chapters but my views of her didn't change at all.

A lot of the female chapters in general aren't as well written IMO, the women are written as too one dimensional (Cat especially) compared to their male counterparts. An exception is Arya but she's essentially a tomboy anyway.

Finished AFFC but I can't bring myself to buy the hardcover of ADWD (expensive and awkward to read hardcover). How long does it usually take for a paperback to come out?
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: