Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,831
jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Most all of these HOF's have become jokes. How in the hell is Paul Hornung in the Pro Football HOF? Or Ray Schalk in the MLB HOF? And I realize that the Basketball HOF is inclusive to college basketball, international basketball, and even women's basketball, but why is KC Jones in the HOF?

I have long maintained that these Halls need to put in some kind of TIER system. Have the merely good players in one tier, the very good players in another, the truly great players in yet another, and then the IMMORTALS (the very RARE truly dominant players) in their own wing.

Don Sutton won 300 games...with ONE 20+ win season (and that was only 21.) Hell, he wasn't even the best pitcher on most of his own teams. Meanwhile, Sandy Koufax and Dizzy Dean, while only having a few great seasons, were BRILLIANT at their peaks.

And how about Ron Guidry and Dwight Gooden? Neither are in the HOF, but at their peaks, they were among the most dominant of all-time.

Curtis Martin is in the Football HOF, and yet Terrell Davis, is not?

Gola is in the Basketball HOF (and it must be exclusively on his college play...as he was the absolute WORST post-season HOF player of all-time), while Sidney Wicks is not?


I think it would be easier to allow almost everyone into these HOF's, except those that are among the worst of all-time. For those, just create a Hall of Shame.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #32
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Unfortunately, the hall of fame is more about accomplishments than how great you were. KJ was a significantly better player than quite a few players in the hall of fame, but that won't matter.

He was probably the second best point guard behind Magic in '89 and '90(some were calling him the best in '90 and '91, though that's an exaggeration. And I'd consider KJ the best point guard in '92 and '94.

He had a lot of talent around him in Phoenix, but he raised his game in the playoffs, and led Phoenix to conference finals appearances as the best player in '89 and '90. He played in the finals in '93 as Barkley's sidekick and was great in the '94 and '95 postseasons.

The guy played on winning teams for years and as a star player. Phoenix won 55 games in '89, 54 in '90, 55 in '91, 53 in '92, 62 in '93, 56 in '94 and 59 in '95.

The '93 and '95 regular seasons were more due to Barkley since KJ missed a lot of games, but in all of those other seasons, he was around a 20/10 point guard. Playing in 3 conference finals for a star is pretty significant.

One of the most explosive scoring point guards in the league with his crossover and quickness as well as his pull up mid-range shot. And he was a good passer, which combined with his scoring ability made him an excellent playmaker.

I'd take him over any PG today except for maybe Chris Paul. And the only point guard from the mid/late 00's into the early 10's I'd take over him besides '08/'09 Chris Paul is '05-'07 Nash.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #33
Shepseskaf
Old School
 
Shepseskaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Caribbean
Posts: 5,909
Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

KJ is one of my all-time favorites, but he's a standout player, not a HoFer.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
NugzHeat3
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,277
NugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl
I think Hardaway's being more decorated has a lot to do with timing though. 3 consecutive All-NBA second teams behind MJ and Magic is nothing to be sniffed at (plus one further 2nd team and one 3rd team). As for best player on that Heat team, he was more of a star, more skilled perhaps and played more (than Alonzo) but statistically its close (I'd take Mourining) and Zo was a much, much better defender. Even if you prefer Tim Bug's entangiables/leadership I can't see how that puts Timmy ahead.

As before, he's not what I think of when I think HOF, he's definitely at the borderline but I think given that Miller and Rodman are in (and his peak is so much better than theirs) I'd find it hard to deny him.
Competition is a good point that I forgot to consider, can't see Tim making first team with Magic in there.

As for Zo being the best player or the MVP, I disagree and I think it's a bit of a revisionist line of thinking. Pat Riley made the case for him as the MVP of the league that year and teammates like like PJ Brown considered him the MVP of the team. In a conventional line of thinking, Zo should be the best player since like you stated he was much more impactful on defense, a franchise anchoring big man but he was a bit too flawed to really be a leader or MVP at that point. Hardaway had flaws too such as his shot selection but he was a leader, no fear at all, had a strong temperament and that's what made him such a great go to guy down the stretch. There were quite a few games he took over that year. Zo wasn't a reliable scorer at all in 1997 and there were quite a few guys that were either afraid to shoot down the stretch or simply weren't able to create on their own. Zo didn't quite have a polished game yet and had quite a few issues controlling his emotions at the point and it's evident in the playoff series vs Chicago where Rodman rattled him and got into his head.

Also, his stats don't quite look good but a lot of that has to do with the walk it up offense the Heat had so he didn't have as much opportunities in transition or to push the tempo like a guy like Kevin Johnson would on the Suns. The offense actually catered to Zo's game since they fed the post quite a bit and when he'd get double teamed or end up not being able to create a good shot, he'd kick the ball out looking for the perimeter to bail him out which meant they had to force a lot of bad shots as well since the clock was on its way down at that point. That's partly why Tim's FG% is a bit low.

Here's a piece on him where he gets praised by Riley and PJ that I alluded to earlier.

Quote:
His regular-season averages of 20.3 points and 8.6 assists only hint at the hop in his game. This season, under the guidance of coach Pat Riley, the man derisively called Tim Shootaway in Oakland has played the most controlled, unselfish ball of his eight-year career. When Riley awarded him the ultimate playmaking accolade—the moniker Little Magic—the transformation was complete.

"Tim has the same temperament, the same leadership, the same skills as Earvin," says Riley. "He just doesn't have the size. But he plays the game as much like him as anybody I've ever coached."

That high opinion didn't come immediately. Though Hardaway played well last season for Miami, Riley coveted Payton and other, younger guards. Confronted with the salary cap, he turned back to Hardaway, lowballed him with an incentive-laden, four-year, $2.5 million contract and insisted he drop 17 pounds and come to camp at 195. Hardaway did that and more. Buying into a defensive system for the first time in his career, Hardaway became a vocal partner with Mourning, calming the latter's frequent on-court rages, imploring him to play smart, pass more. It's no coincidence that Mourning has enjoyed his most satisfying season. He has worked with other point guards, "but we didn't bond like me and Timmy," Mourning says. "He's bettered my game."

Hardaway took charge of the Heat in the way players respect most: He demanded the ball when things got tight, and he produced. Against the Bulls in Chicago on Dec. 7, the game was tied 80-80 with 21 seconds left when Hardaway, in the huddle, said, "I don't care who's guarding me, give me the ball." He blew past Scottie Pippen, drove and, as Michael Jordan put it, "suckered me in," then fired a pass to a wide-open Dan Majerle for an easy three-pointer and the first home loss for the Bulls this season. "He's been in the fire every game," says Miami forward P.J. Brown. "He's been our go-to guy, our MVP."

"He's a very, very courageous player," Riley says. "He looks fear right in the eye, and says, 'Get the hell out of my way. I got something to do.' "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0015/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Unfortunately, the hall of fame is more about accomplishments than how great you were. KJ was a significantly better player than quite a few players in the hall of fame, but that won't matter.

He was probably the second best point guard behind Magic in '89 and '90(some were calling him the best in '90 and '91, though that's an exaggeration. And I'd consider KJ the best point guard in '92 and '94.

He had a lot of talent around him in Phoenix, but he raised his game in the playoffs, and led Phoenix to conference finals appearances as the best player in '89 and '90. He played in the finals in '93 as Barkley's sidekick and was great in the '94 and '95 postseasons.

The guy played on winning teams for years and as a star player. Phoenix won 55 games in '89, 54 in '90, 55 in '91, 53 in '92, 62 in '93, 56 in '94 and 59 in '95.

The '93 and '95 regular seasons were more due to Barkley since KJ missed a lot of games, but in all of those other seasons, he was around a 20/10 point guard. Playing in 3 conference finals for a star is pretty significant.

One of the most explosive scoring point guards in the league with his crossover and quickness as well as his pull up mid-range shot. And he was a good passer, which combined with his scoring ability made him an excellent playmaker.

I'd take him over any PG today except for maybe Chris Paul. And the only point guard from the mid/late 00's into the early 10's I'd take over him besides '08/'09 Chris Paul is '05-'07 Nash.
Agree on the bolded and the majority of the post as well. Peak wise, I'm only taking those two above him.

Last edited by NugzHeat3 : 04-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.
NugzHeat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #35
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,264
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

KJ was actually underrated on this site until a few years ago, now he's very overrated.

With that said, he's was very good in his primes, he got snubbed a few years on All-Star teams to Terry Porter I believe.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
bizil
National High School Star
 
bizil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,483
bizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

At his best CLEARLY a HOF player. Once Magic and Isiah tapered off, I think KJ was the best PG in the L. Some would argue Stock, and some would argue Timmy. I feel all three have a great case. But I prefer my PG's to be able to run a show like a pure PG AND have the ability to takeover games scoring. Stock could run a team as good as any PG ever. But he couldn't takeover a game like Timmy or KJ scoring a rock. KJ and Timmy had number one option level scoring shit.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #37
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,264
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizil
At his best CLEARLY a HOF player. Once Magic and Isiah tapered off, I think KJ was the best PG in the L. Some would argue Stock, and some would argue Timmy. I feel all three have a great case. But I prefer my PG's to be able to run a show like a pure PG AND have the ability to takeover games scoring. Stock could run a team as good as any PG ever. But he couldn't takeover a game like Timmy or KJ scoring a rock. KJ and Timmy had number one option level scoring shit.
No doubt about that, he had the talent. But how about his career? There are plenty of hall of fame talent who came through the NBA who are not in.

Just to name a few.


Lou Hudson
Jo Jo White
Rudy Tomjanovich
Bernard King
Sidney Moncrief
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardaway
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #38
kurt_rambis
floss is boss
 
kurt_rambis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: inglewood
Posts: 921
kurt_rambis has decent reputation
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Chris Mullin was a 5 time all-star. (That's two more than KJ)
He has a first team all-nba award. (That's 1 more than KJ)
He was a Gold Medalist on the dream Team. (That's more than what KJ has)
He was a stud at St. Johns back when college meant something. (More than KJ ever was....)

don't tell me his 1992 olympic gold is a sign of greatness. your mom could have played 20 minutes a game for the dream team and won a gold medal

try making an all-nba or all-star team with magic, stockton, and tim hardaway all playing your position. he's one of only 7 guys in history to average 20 and 10 in a season and he did it 3 years in a row (plus a couple years where he came damn close). and unlike mullin, he contributed to some very good teams that went deep into the playoffs

Last edited by kurt_rambis : 04-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.
kurt_rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,264
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
don't tell me his 1992 olympic gold is a sign of greatness. your mom could have played 20 minutes a game for the dream team and won a gold medal
You make it seem like they just let anyone on that team.

Quote:
try making an all-nba or all-star team with magic, stockton, and tim hardaway all playing your position. he's one of only 7 guys in history to average 20 and 10 in a season and he did it 3 years in a row (plus a couple years where he came damn close). and unlike mullin, he contributed to some very good teams that went deep into the playoffs
He only battled Magic for what 3 seasons. Timmy was injured/moved to another conference by 94?

So that leaves Stockton, the only consistent.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #40
kurt_rambis
floss is boss
 
kurt_rambis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: inglewood
Posts: 921
kurt_rambis has decent reputation
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
You make it seem like they just let anyone on that team.


He only battled Magic for what 3 seasons. Timmy was injured/moved to another conference by 94?

So that leaves Stockton, the only consistent.

i would actually describe christian laettner as just anyone, but that's not important

like mullin, KJ had a short prime, only 5 or 6 seasons. essentially all of his prime years were spent battling elite point guards. he made the all-nba second team 4 years and the 3rd team once, which is arguably just as impressive as mullin (two 2nd teams, one 1st team, one 3rd team)

i'm personally on the fence about his hall of fame credentials, but there are definitely players as good or worse than him in there, and chris mullin is one of them

Last edited by kurt_rambis : 04-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
kurt_rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #41
Big#50
College star
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,015
Big#50 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Nope. Not enough of a career. Peak KJ was a mix of AI and Paul. He was ****ing quick and explosive attacking that rim, but had great passing skills as well. Will not make it because he didnt have longevity. I would put him, though.
Big#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #42
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,264
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
i would actually describe christian laettner as just anyone, but that's not important

like mullin, KJ had a short prime, only 5 or 6 seasons. essentially all of his prime years were spent battling elite point guards. he made the all-nba second team 4 years and the 3rd team once, which is arguably just as impressive as mullin (two 2nd teams, one 1st team, one 3rd team)

i'm personally on the fence about his hall of fame credentials, but there are definitely players as good or worse than him in there, and chris mullin is one of them
Leattner is the college pick, we talking pro's. We could say of the 11 pro's he was the weakest, (career wise.) But that season he was picked, was All-NBA 1st team.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #43
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
Competition is a good point that I forgot to consider, can't see Tim making first team with Magic in there.

As for Zo being the best player or the MVP, I disagree and I think it's a bit of a revisionist line of thinking. Pat Riley made the case for him as the MVP of the league that year and teammates like like PJ Brown considered him the MVP of the team. In a conventional line of thinking, Zo should be the best player since like you stated he was much more impactful on defense, a franchise anchoring big man but he was a bit too flawed to really be a leader or MVP at that point. Hardaway had flaws too such as his shot selection but he was a leader, no fear at all, had a strong temperament and that's what made him such a great go to guy down the stretch. There were quite a few games he took over that year. Zo wasn't a reliable scorer at all in 1997 and there were quite a few guys that were either afraid to shoot down the stretch or simply weren't able to create on their own. Zo didn't quite have a polished game yet and had quite a few issues controlling his emotions at the point and it's evident in the playoff series vs Chicago where Rodman rattled him and got into his head.

Also, his stats don't quite look good but a lot of that has to do with the walk it up offense the Heat had so he didn't have as much opportunities in transition or to push the tempo like a guy like Kevin Johnson would on the Suns. The offense actually catered to Zo's game since they fed the post quite a bit and when he'd get double teamed or end up not being able to create a good shot, he'd kick the ball out looking for the perimeter to bail him out which meant they had to force a lot of bad shots as well since the clock was on its way down at that point. That's partly why Tim's FG% is a bit low.

Here's a piece on him where he gets praised by Riley and PJ that I alluded to earlier.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...0015/index.htm

Really good post as usual, very accurate assessment of Zo's game, and that's remarkably high praise from Riley about Hardaway. The strongest argument for Zo's value to the team is that Miami won due to their defense first and foremost, and despite Tim leading them to an 11-4 record without Zo, their defense wasn't the same without him. So even though Riley's teams post-LA were usually very good defensively, he was still a huge key to it. But to back up your point about Zo essentially being the 1st option hurting Hardaway's offensive numbers, Tim averaged 24/9 with Zo out of the lineup. Zo was at his best in '99 and '00 as we've mentioned in the past. 2000 would be the absolute best I've seen him play, but Hardaway was older and really struggled with injuries, while Mashburn struggled to play up to his potential in that offense. It's too bad 2000 ended Zo's prime prematurely, they were set to be easily the most talented team in the East after acquiring Eddie Jones coming off his best season, Anthony Mason who made the '01 all-star game and Brian Grant who averaged 15/9 playing out of position at center. With names like that as well as Bruce Bowen emerging as a rotation player and stopper, they'd have an incredible defensive lineup if Zo was around coming off back to back DPOY awards. And Riley's teams were always good to great after LA as it is. They actually improved defensively in '01 finishing top 4, and they still won 50 games. I can't see them getting any worse adding Zo which would also move Brian Grant back to his natural position. Plus, it probably would've helped their rebounding and they were a poor rebounding team.

The worst example of Zo being rattled in the playoffs was the '96 1st round series vs Chicago. The last game made his numbers look better when it wasn't really competitive and he wasn't really dominating, but for a lot of the minutes he was on the floor, he didn't stand out as playing better than Luc Longley. He was constantly in foul trouble, and many of them were unnecessary. I like Zo, but it's remarkable how much he struggled in that series.

Back to Hardaway and Miami's offense, those are really good points. Miami's offense was one of the worst for putting up big numbers. They probably underachieved offensively with guys like Hardaway, Mourning, Mashburn ect.

Remember how much Mashburn was criticized for struggling in Miami's offense? I believe Riley planned to make him the 1st option in '97-'98, but I assume scrapped that idea. And look what happens when he leaves Miami, he becomes one of the best small forwards in Charlotte. Mashburn's "revenge" in the '01 playoffs was a big story that year.

And perhaps an even bigger indictment is that Eddie Jones was coming off his best season in Charlotte in 2000 when he was imo, the 3rd best shooting guard behind Kobe and Iverson. But similar to Mashburn, I remember him being seen as a disappointment when he arrived in Miami.

Quote:
Agree on the bolded and the majority of the post as well. Peak wise, I'm only taking those two above him.

I might take peak '03 Jason Kidd as well, a much better passer regardless of assists, better defender, could make a big impact on the boards and Kidd at his peak was a good scorer, though it didn't last long. That's why '03 Kidd stands out to me over his other seasons because it was before he lost some quickness and athleticism due to age and microfracture surgery plus it was around the time he was improving his shooting. His one flaw was that he still limited in the half court breaking down a defense off the dribble compared to Nash or Paul, but not as ball-dominant as well.

It's too bad we didn't see more of Kidd with the mix of his athleticism and his improved shooting, outside of the 3, he was also good at pulling up around the foul line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
KJ was actually underrated on this site until a few years ago, now he's very overrated.

With that said, he's was very good in his primes, he got snubbed a few years on All-Star teams to Terry Porter I believe.

How is he overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
like mullin, KJ had a short prime, only 5 or 6 seasons.

I wouldn't call 5 or 6 years a short prime, but I guess by prime you mean elite years. But I'd take KJ over Mullin, and didn't have to think very hard about it, and I like Mullin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
No doubt about that, he had the talent. But how about his career? There are plenty of hall of fame talent who came through the NBA who are not in.

Just to name a few.


Lou Hudson
Jo Jo White
Rudy Tomjanovich
Bernard King
Sidney Moncrief
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardaway

He was a better player than just about all of them, except for perhaps King at his peak, but King's career was affected by injuries even more than KJ's, and most of those guys had less team success as the man on their teams.

Last edited by ShaqAttack3234 : 04-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #44
miggyme1
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,065
miggyme1 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrymiggyme1 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

I cant believe some of yall dont believe reggie miller had a hall of fame career.are yall smoking crack?he was the only player who could toe to toe with michael jordan in the 90's.he was the leader in threes till ray allen just broke it.the only thing the man aint accomplish was win a ring.how da hell yall gone say lebron a hall of famer if he retired today but reggie miller aint?irs stupid.reggie miller aint have not one athletic bone in his body but the boy could shoot from anywhere on the court with hands in his face.good passer.good defense.i dont get it.if lebron has a 19 career and dont win not one ring he gone be a hall of famer so y not reggie?reggie deserved to be a hall of famer and im glad he is
miggyme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #45
bizil
National High School Star
 
bizil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,483
bizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation herebizil has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Is Kevin Johnson an NBA Hall of Fame player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
No doubt about that, he had the talent. But how about his career? There are plenty of hall of fame talent who came through the NBA who are not in.

Just to name a few.


Lou Hudson
Jo Jo White
Rudy Tomjanovich
Bernard King
Sidney Moncrief
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardaway

U are correct! His career as a whole isn't HOF worthy. I doubt KJ will ever get in the HOF. But when people ask me off the eye test who are the top ten PG's u saw play during your days of watchin bball, I would say:

Magic
Isiah
Payton
Paul
Nash
D Will
Stockton
Penny
KJ
Timmy

After Magic and Isiah, the list could be ranked in various way. But for guys I saw with my own two eyes during my bball watchin days, these are my top ten. If I'm going off GOAT shit, then sure I would have Big O, Tiny, Frazier, and Cousy in there. I'm 34 years old, and I'm sure a lotta guys around my age would have a similar list in terms of the eye test and peak value. But unfortunately, KJ won't make the HOF because u gotta have that career resume to back u up.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy