Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableinclinerator is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: STAT Just Showed Me That Athletes Adding Muscle Hurts Athleticism

the more reason lebron needs to lower his weight
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

If that's what Stoudemire feels, and it is truly why he is more explosive, then he is the exception rather than the rule.

Pretty much all b-ballers lift these days and it helps them. A decent part of your vertical can potentially come from upper body strength...and obviously lower body strength would help as well.

Most athletic guys in the league:

Lebron, D-Rose, Wade, Westbrook, and Dwight and Blake for their height. All of them are pretty built.

Also, NFL WR's and DB's have ridiculously high verticals. They are pretty built as well.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
If that's what Stoudemire feels, and it is truly why he is more explosive, then he is the exception rather than the rule.

Pretty much all b-ballers lift these days and it helps them. A decent part of your vertical can potentially come from upper body strength...and obviously lower body strength would help as well.

Lebron, D-Rose, Wade, Westbrook, and Dwight and Blake for their height. All of them are pretty built.

Also, NFL WR's and DB's have ridiculously high verticals. They are pretty built as well.

No, I've noticed this for a long time - NBA players today have become so massive that highlight footage today actually looks worse than highlight footage from 20 years ago. The guys today, despite their strength and momentous drives - do NOT have the same spring in their step as guys from previous eras that were smaller (or the spring in their step from when they were a lighter weight version of themselves). 6-3.75 Dwayne Wade likes to play heavier than the 7-0 David Robinson played at in the 1989 Olympic games... Does that make Wade a beast? I'll tell you what it makes him:

Too. ****ing. Heavy.

David Robinson's BMI was 22.5 during the 1989 Olympics (7-0 barefoot, 226lbs)

Dwyane Wade's BMI was 28.8 last season (6-3.75 barefoot, 235)

Healthy BMI range = 18.5 to 24.9

Anything heavier is mild obesity, and anything 30.0 or more is obesity. Dude's mass to height ratio is borderline obesity. Muscle don't mean shit to your bones and joints, the human body is handicapped and injury prone with that kind of mass, not to mention the more massive you are the more your fighting the laws of physics. Dwane Wade will jump highest and run fastest if he optimizes power with a lean physique not a heavy one. I've calculated all the fastest men and the highest leapers of all time, the sprinters BMI is always right about 23.5. The best jumpers are always right about 22.5 - and low and behold the same holds true for NBA athletes that have had the most jaw-dropping hang-time. Wade has basically "bulked up" to the size of the centers from years past and his guard-sized skeleton is not at all doing well with it. The NBA players that cave into the "you gotta put on weight!" crap keep getting injured far younger in their careers than past NBA players used too.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 04-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
FKAri
Good college starter

FKAri is a pretty well-respected posterFKAri is a pretty well-respected posterFKAri is a pretty well-respected poster

From some of the posts in this thread I can tell some people don't understand how the human body works. I'm going to try and stay out of this thread.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
No, I've noticed this for a long time - NBA players today have become so massive that highlight footage today actually looks worse than highlight footage from 20 years ago. The guys today, despite their strength and momentous drives - do NOT have the same spring in their step as guys from previous eras that were smaller (or the spring in their step from when they were a lighter weight version of themselves). 6-3.75 Dwayne Wade likes to play heavier than the 7-0 David Robinson played at in the 1989 Olympic games... Does that make Wade a beast? I'll tell you what it makes him:

Too. ****ing. Heavy.

David Robinson's BMI was 22.5 during the 1989 Olympics (7-0 barefoot, 226lbs)

Dwyane Wade's BMI was 28.8 last season (6-3.75 barefoot, 235)

Healthy BMI range = 18.5 to 24.9

Anything heavier is mild obesity, and anything 30.0 or more is obesity. Dude's mass to height ratio is borderline obesity. Muscle don't mean shit to your bones and joints, the human body is handicapped and injury prone with that kind of mass, not to mention the more massive you are the more your fighting the laws of physics. Dwane Wade will jump highest and run fastest if he optimizes power with a lean physique not a heavy one. I've calculated all the fastest men and the highest leapers of all time, the sprinters BMI is always right about 23.5. The best jumpers are always right about 22.5 - and low and behold the same holds true for NBA athletes that have had the most jaw-dropping hang-time. Wade has basically "bulked up" to the size of the centers from years past and his guard-sized skeleton is not at all doing well with it. The NBA players that cave into the "you gotta put on weight!" crap keep getting injured far younger in their careers than past NBA players used too.
Rep if i could.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33

you do know you're referring to world class athletes, right? those players are at their physical peak. the point is most of these players can't afford to add extra lbs on their body, especially someone like amar'e who has had knee isuess. 10lbs at amar'es or lebrons current bf% is a big difference. big enough to be harmful in explosiveness or injury wise. this isn't the nfl, most of those guys are freaks of nature, even when compared to elite nba athletes.

same principal as air to fuel ratio in an engine. yes, more fuel can produce more horsepower, but would you increase the intake of fuel in a finely tuned race engine that has spent hundreds of hours on a dyno?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
schism206
Serious playground baller

schism206 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by swi7ch
OP is dumb.

Look at Jordan before and after.
Look at LBJ before and after.

I'm not going to say that added muscle is a good or bad thing, but Dennis Rodman said in his book, that he was cautious about not gaining too much muscle/weight, he felt more athletic, flexible and agile when he was lean, and he said that was a big part of his game. It allowed him to get to the loose balls, tips and rebounds easier.
schism206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://youtu.be/4W3O8jvNNoE

http://youtu.be/iS1GJ5wxyTc

Eye test.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
LamarOdom
Banned

LamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdogg
Do you watch basketball hoe ass nygga. Bron is less explosive off the dribble and does not jump as high, just cause the nygga is still athletic does not mean it did not slow him down you fukk ass nygga. MJ was not nowhere near as explosive after 92, I guess you would not know that since you were a 3 year old bytch ass lil kid at the time. Get the fukk out my thread bytch boy, fukkin head would be knocked off commenting to a nygga like me like that in person, fukk nygga.

Am I the only one that's scared?
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
che guevara
National High School Star

che guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this board

Wade's the exact same size as last season, I don't know what you're talking about. He's just injured.

I'm also not convinced Lebron's any bigger than he was his last year in Cleveland, he looks pretty much the same.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've known this my whole life. My lack of muscles just proves my superior athleticism.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
jdm_dc_fan
Local High School Star

jdm_dc_fan has decent reputationjdm_dc_fan has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
you do know you're referring to world class athletes, right? those players are at their physical peak. the point is most of these players can't afford to add extra lbs on their body, especially someone like amar'e who has had knee isuess. 10lbs at amar'es or lebrons current bf% is a big difference. big enough to be harmful in explosiveness or injury wise. this isn't the nfl, most of those guys are freaks of nature, even when compared to elite nba athletes.

same principal as air to fuel ratio in an engine. yes, more fuel can produce more horsepower, but would you increase the intake of fuel in a finely tuned race engine that has spent hundreds of hours on a dyno?
More power is possible when the engine runs on the lean side (no pun intended)
More fuel doesnt mean more power.
jdm_dc_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman

SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way

You guys know muscle has quality? For nba players they need more fast- than slow-twitch fibers in their muscle. Which gives them explosiveness. It depends on how you train and your genetic make-up.
Anyway you can't you say "adding muscles is bad".
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
Westbrook0
Serious playground baller

Westbrook0 has an OK reputation so far

The f*ck? Some people seriously didn't know this?

More muscle = more mass = more weight to try to push up off the ground when going up for a dunk.

That's why the best dunkers in the world aren't in the NBA, because they only work on their hops, whereas NBA players bulk up their entire body.
Westbrook0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
knicksman
Good college starter

knicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputation

Amare is the type of person who wont give full effort unless his body is 100% ready because of his injury history. Combined with the back injury that could end his career if not healed properly, then youve got an amare this year. Amare has been doing this throughout his career thats why his only known to be the mvp of the 2nd half. Or 1st half of last year. His trying to prolong his career by coasting alot of games. And thats the reason why hes so lazy too on defense. But I expect him to give full effort come playoff time.
knicksman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: