Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
schism206
Serious playground baller

Default Difference between this years Spurs and last.

A lot of people talk about the Spurs getting bounced in the first round like last year, despite having an extremely successful regular season, while others think they will make a deep run. I haven't watched a lot of NBA this year, been too busy, but am going to watch the playoffs. But I'm just wondering, for those who think the Spurs will go far in the playoffs this year, what's the real difference between the Spurs this year and last year?

I mean, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli are all a year older, doesn't really help. Seemed like Duncan and Parker had roughly their usual year (again, I'm going by stats, I didn't really see them play this year), Ginobli seemed like he was less productive, and looks like a couple younger players improved a bit, but nothing too overwhelming. Seems like the only major difference is Sjax instead of Jefferson. I feel like that's a good upgrade in terms of defense and toughness, which is needed in the playoffs, but doesn't look like he had that stellar of a year.

Am I missing something? What's the difference that would put them beyond a 1st round (or 2nd round) exit again?
schism206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Difference between this years Spurs and last.

Health/clicking at the right time is the biggest difference that could help them advance.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
StateOfMind12
Banned

The addition of Stephen Jackson and Kawhi Leonard and the subtraction of Richard Jefferson. The Spurs also lost George Hill but George Hill was actually a helpful to the Spurs while Jefferson was practically a liability out there. They're also giving Danny Green more playing time who seems to never miss a shot every time I watch him play. The Spurs size in the perimeter have improved dramatically. Last season, the Spurs had a bunch of combo guard sized players like Neal and Hill play.

I don't think the Spurs will go far in the playoffs but I do think they are clearly better this season than last.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
the_future02
Jesus of SE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism206
A lot of people talk about the Spurs getting bounced in the first round like last year, despite having an extremely successful regular season, while others think they will make a deep run. I haven't watched a lot of NBA this year, been too busy, but am going to watch the playoffs. But I'm just wondering, for those who think the Spurs will go far in the playoffs this year, what's the real difference between the Spurs this year and last year?

I mean, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli are all a year older, doesn't really help. Seemed like Duncan and Parker had roughly their usual year (again, I'm going by stats, I didn't really see them play this year), Ginobli seemed like he was less productive, and looks like a couple younger players improved a bit, but nothing too overwhelming. Seems like the only major difference is Sjax instead of Jefferson. I feel like that's a good upgrade in terms of defense and toughness, which is needed in the playoffs, but doesn't look like he had that stellar of a year.

Am I missing something? What's the difference that would put them beyond a 1st round (or 2nd round) exit again?

Why do people like you refuse to acknowledge that Ginobili was basically playing with one arm against Memphis or that Parker is really only behind LeBron and Durant for MVP this year. You failed to mention that Splitter is a lot better than last year and instead of Blair, McDyess, Bonner Pop can bring Diaw off the bench or play him with Timmy. How can people take someone like you seriously
the_future02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:

They're bigger on the wings, more athletic, younger, got rid of Jefferson, Splitter is better, Diaw and Jax are great pickups, Ginobili didn't break his arm this year, Tony Parker is playing out of his mind, and Duncan is still producing damn well... Plus they're a great shooting team, and they're deep as f*ck.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

The Current Spurs team are a much better team this season.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
nashwade
High School Varsity 12th Man

this team is nothing without Bruce Bowen
nashwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
KembaWalker
Great young streetballer

Patty Mills
Gotta rep the Aussies
KembaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
schism206

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future02
Why do people like you refuse to acknowledge that Ginobili was basically playing with one arm against Memphis or that Parker is really only behind LeBron and Durant for MVP this year. You failed to mention that Splitter is a lot better than last year and instead of Blair, McDyess, Bonner Pop can bring Diaw off the bench or play him with Timmy. How can people take someone like you seriously
Why do people like you refuse to READ? What I said was that I didn't watch much NBA this season, and I didn't even watch one Spurs game, I was ASKING what the difference was. I sure as shit don't know the difference besides what I briefly saw of the season stats/roster, because I SPECIFICALLY mentioned it in the post. I'm not saying whether or not I think they will get bounced, I have no way of making an informed opinion. I'm not hatin' on the Spurs. I'm just trying to get some insight from people before I watch the playoffs, and I'm just curious to know what people think. I also did forget about Ginobli's injury, and to be fair, you did answer my question, so thanks.

Last edited by schism206 : 04-28-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
schism206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
They're bigger on the wings, more athletic, younger, got rid of Jefferson, Splitter is better, Diaw and Jax are great pickups, Ginobili didn't break his arm this year, Tony Parker is playing out of his mind, and Duncan is still producing damn well... Plus they're a great shooting team, and they're deep as f*ck.
Thank you. Looking forward to watching them play. Would like to see them or OKC out of the West.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #11
josh99
Local High School Star

A bit off topic but apparently Hollinger is predicting them to win the title.
josh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Spurs are gonna beat the Jazz. Jazz are looking solid but they're not there yet. And the Spurs are a great team.

I think the Grizzlies have the best team...in the NBA. So I think they'll beat the Spurs in the 2nd round...but they could lose to the Clippers...it's a shame the 3 most interesting teams match up against each other in the first 2 rounds.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Last year Spurs lost to MEM this year Spurs will lose to UTA.

Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #14
Doctor Rivers
Decent college freshman

This year the Spurs will win the championship.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
the_future02
Jesus of SE Texas

Quote:
Why do people like you refuse to READ? What I said was that I didn't watch much NBA this season, and I didn't even watch one Spurs game, I was ASKING what the difference was. I sure as shit don't know the difference besides what I briefly saw of the season stats/roster, because I SPECIFICALLY mentioned it in the post. I'm not saying whether or not I think they will get bounced, I have no way of making an informed opinion. I'm not hatin' on the Spurs. I'm just trying to get some insight from people before I watch the playoffs, and I'm just curious to know what people think. I also did forget about Ginobli's injury, and to be fair, you did answer my question, so thanks.

Glad I could be of assistance. 2 arms > 1 arm generally speaking
the_future02 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: