Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I Hate Govt Workers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Long story short, my daughter needs to register for schools during a week in June IF she gets into one of the better schools (we have a good chance actually). However we need to go to Japan pretty soon (Starting May 21st for about a month). My mother in law is sick, and we are going to see her.

So basically if we get in we need a waiver of registration. Of the 3 schools we might get in, 1 said "no problem" and the other 2 said "maybe, but you should ask the board of ed how to do this".

So i call the board of ed.....
1) They tell me there is NOTHING i can do. I say what about waivers? They say "OH, you know about that. Ok, waivers exists."
2) Then i am told i cannot get a waiver because i already bought my tickets so how can it be an emergency?. I note to them the problem is going to be longterm, and we could only afford to go now (the summer the prices are sick expensive).
3) I explain why i got the tickets now and are asked what the illness is about? Note: The person asking me questions has indicated i cannot get a waiver no matter what, but is doubting if i care about the dates, or if the person i am visiting is really sick, etc.

It requires a special type of asshole to work for the government. Or is is something that happens to you after you join?

I think you find lazy people at any job, not just in government. I worked with some of the hardest workers I've met in Kuwait and Iraq. People who worked 80 plus hours week, not getting overtime to get the mission done. I've met the same type of people back in the USA while here at Scott Air Force Base.

My advice is to go to the place and speak to who you can in person and document who you speak too. I'd educate myself on the various rules and regulations in place before hand to trip up anyone who gives you the run around and ask to speak to supervisors, etc. Good luck with it.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
What job do you actually do? And yes, gov't employees can easily be fired if they don't do "good at their work." Problem is they have to deal with ignorant assholes like Niko all day.
The person whose job it is to facilitate problems with registration won't tell me how to fix my problem, if it can be fixed, what my options are, etc. That is her full time job. Solving registration issues. And the most basic thing, a waiver form was not even presented to me as an option.

So you're being an ass, i asked a person a question that is her only job, she gave me no info, and implied i didn't really need to visit Japan (which i really do). And i should be happy about this?

I fixed the situation, i went directly to the schools who told me they would bypass the waiver by allowing me to register early, which is an option. Please note that said govt reject told me this is not allowed. Three separate schools told me it is and are doing it for me now.

Seriously DueceWallace, you're a jerk, your first impulse is TOO ****ING BAD! OP SUCKS! Thanks....
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I think you find lazy people at any job, not just in government. I worked with some of the hardest workers I've met in Kuwait and Iraq. People who worked 80 plus hours week, not getting overtime to get the mission done. I've met the same type of people back in the USA while here at Scott Air Force Base.

My advice is to go to the place and speak to who you can in person and document who you speak too. I'd educate myself on the various rules and regulations in place before hand to trip up anyone who gives you the run around and ask to speak to supervisors, etc. Good luck with it.
yeah, not all govt workers are bad clearly, i know people who work for the city, i was just annoyed. it does seem to foster an attitude of not caring though. The board of ed in NYC is famously obtuse.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
yeah, not all govt workers are bad clearly, i know people who work for the city, i was just annoyed. it does seem to foster an attitude of not caring though. The board of ed in NYC is famously obtuse.

Did you try asking to speak to someone else or the persons supervisor? Is there a location you can go to that you can speak to someone face to face about your situation? I think given the competitive nature of getting into the good schools the person may have heard any number of reasons and excuses and has become jaded. While we certainly would frown upon such, I think face to face would be better for you and could yield the results you want.

I deal with various government and civilian agencies and everyone of them thinks there particular circuit is life or death outage or degradation even if the priority is listed as a minor. I think the person who is jaded should definitely try not to let it cloud how they do there jobs, but we all have those days.

I'd honestly try to go in person to state your case.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
Did you try asking to speak to someone else or the persons supervisor? Is there a location you can go to that you can speak to someone face to face about your situation? I think given the competitive nature of getting into the good schools the person may have heard any number of reasons and excuses and has become jaded. While we certainly would frown upon such, I think face to face would be better for you and could yield the results you want.

I deal with various government and civilian agencies and everyone of them thinks there particular circuit is life or death outage or degradation even if the priority is listed as a minor. I think the person who is jaded should definitely try not to let it cloud how they do there jobs, but we all have those days.

I'd honestly try to go in person to state your case.

Basically i was told to go to the central location and not the schools as we shouldn't bother the schools. The central location all but begged me to leave them alone by their nonaction. It wasn't clear also who was above the person i spoke to. And the person i spoke to calling the schools to help me, when her attitude was basically YOU ARE ****ED WE CANNOT DO SOMETHING scared me.

So of the three possible schools, i went to one which really helped me out. And what they told me to do, works with the two other schools. So i wound up asking the schools for help, and im trying to do the legwork for them so the people who helped me don't get any additional problems.

So everything is going to work out but only because i discovered a workaround. THe official "policy", going to the Board of Ed and the person in charge of fixing the problem was a disaster.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Dumbass, the person did not tell me waivers were possible. This was not an application. I am allowed to apply. The person didn't want to tell me about the application because they didn't want to move.

**** off if you don't like my wording. I'm talking to a person who basically doesn't want to process and application. This is not a person who can accept or deny. This is a person on the phone who is supposed to tell me options NOT telling me options because that would be work.

Again, the main process here would be a waiver application and the person did not tell me about it. And i've spoken to the schools and i qualify for a waiver, they just don't know how i go about it.

sounds more like you have a shitty attitude and you talked down to people because you didn't immediately get the exact answer you wanted.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
sounds more like you have a shitty attitude and you talked down to people because you didn't immediately get the exact answer you wanted.
i didn't, ive been exchanging emails with a person for weeks who responds every 3 or 4 days with nothing, finally got them to see me, and wasn't helped in any way or treated particularly well.

My email is pissy because i was upset. Which i think any of you would be. Unless losing thousands of dollars and having to fly back to NY from Japan for 1 day is ok so a person whose job it is to fix that doesn't have to try to help.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
i didn't, ive been exchanging emails with a person for weeks who responds every 3 or 4 days with nothing, finally got them to see me, and wasn't helped in any way or treated particularly well.

My email is pissy because i was upset. Which i think any of you would be. Unless losing thousands of dollars and having to fly back to NY from Japan for 1 day is ok so a person whose job it is to fix that doesn't have to try to help.

a pissy email is even worse than a pissy face to face exchange.

you have time to sit down and think about what you are saying.

live frustration is much more easily forgiven than something a person takes the time to sit down and write.

never mind that if you are trying to get something from somebody they aren't likely to give you, you are supposed to kiss their ass, not give them shit.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
never mind that if you are trying to get something from somebody they aren't likely to give you, you are supposed to kiss their ass, not give them shit.

That's ridiculous. These people aren't elected, they are employed by the government to serve the people.

If you've got a sick relative, sometimes you know you don't have a lot of time left. It's basic human decency to help somebody out with a thing like that.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
a pissy email is even worse than a pissy face to face exchange.

you have time to sit down and think about what you are saying.

live frustration is much more easily forgiven than something a person takes the time to sit down and write.

no, my post here is pissy. My back and forth exchanges were not. my initial post here is very aggravated. Only my last conversation with them i got annoyed, and i've basically run into a dead end anyway.

So basically i've resolved my problems with everyone except the person whose job it is to resolve my problem. And again, the reason im aggravated is not they said no, it's that they don't want to talk to me. At all. The Dept of Registration Assistance doesn't want to assist me in registering. They also implied that i'm exaggerating having any problem because it's literally possible to fly back. It is to be honest, it would cost me $5k and be a huge cluster**** but it's literally "possible".

Last edited by niko : 05-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well your wonderful attitude and calm demeanor will obviously serve you well throughout this terrible tragedy.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Well your wonderful attitude and calm demeanor will obviously serve you well throughout this terrible tragedy.
You're just being a dick, why? i never bother you.

Yes, i deserve it because i posted on a message board but it doesn't make you any less dickish.

Basically yes, i'm aggravated. Someone is really sick, it's going to **** up my home life, my wallet, and someone who can help me by handing me a form doesn't want to tell me the form exists because then they might have to hand it to me, and worse yet, i may fill it out and they may need to review it.

I'm just a terrible person. I'm sure you'd be perfectly cool in that situation.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #28
rawimpact
Banned

rawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected posterrawimpact is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Yes, i deserve it because i posted on a message board but it doesn't make you any less dickish.

Basically yes, i'm aggravated. Someone is really sick, it's going to **** up my home life, my wallet, and someone who can help me by handing me a form doesn't want to tell me the form exists because then they might have to hand it to me, and worse yet, i may fill it out and they may need to review it.

We may be *****, but if placed in a similar situation (at the prune age of 39) i wouldn't be bitching/ranting about it in a basketball message board where the average age is about half yours.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawimpact
We may be *****, but if placed in a similar situation (at the prune age of 39) i wouldn't be bitching/ranting about it in a basketball message board where the average age is about half yours.

True.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Lol at me being the dick. You insulted people with merely your thread title. The sole purpose of this thread was insult people and start shit. Well you got your wish. From what most in this thread can gather you've been a total prick from the start, and it's no surprise you're having trouble dealing with the issue. The fact you thought coming here would mean anything to anyone or a solution is just icing on the cake.

Let me speak for millions of hard working federal employees when I say fuck you.

Only sad thing is that your kid will likely suffer from your bad attitude and bureaucratic ineptness.

Keep up the good work!
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: