Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Slow it down? Point guard question

Hey guys,

A few weeks back while playing with more experienced players, they often commented during the game that I should slow it down more particularly after I drove the ball inside. I took this advice into my game since they are more experienced than me.

I started becoming more of a passive player, and I passed more than I drove/shot. Sometimes, I felt like I always need to pass the ball resulting into forced passes and hence turnovers. Before, if I know I can beat my guy 1 on 1.. I will drive inside but now I just pass the ball.

I am in state of confusion here and it is really affecting my game?, can someone define slowing it down? When should you slow down or not slow down.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Slow it down? Point guard question

I think its just about playing with pace. I'd suggest taking a look at Rose and the way he plays with controlled explosiveness.

Also, beating your man and getting in the lane is the best way to open up passing lanes and to break down the defense. Being a passer doesn't mean being passive.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Thanks man.. thats a good advice, I think I know what you're talking about.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How much more experienced were they? Are we talking high school players? College players? Middle school? Minor league?

One of the things I've had to repeatedly tell my little brother to watch out for was his contemporaries telling him to slow things down a little bit. I've seen a lot of high school varsity players tell teammates to wrongfully slow things down just because they themselves weren't in shape enough to keep pace. So just because they're more experienced doesn't necessarily make them right.

That said, I can't really imagine anyone with an experience level above high school telling you to slow the pace down a little bit. Basketball is a fast game - or at least, it's supposed to be. Surely, if your speed is leading to horrible shots or turnovers, it's likely time to re-evaluate. But if it's just a matter of your teammates not liking the idea of you going hard all the time, then that's their problem.

Taking advice to heart from players you perceive to be more experienced than you can sometimes be fool's gold. You have to take it at face value. A lot of those guys might only seem more experienced because they're older, not because they know the game twice as well as you or something.

So again, if you can self-diagnose your game and recognize perhaps you're going too quickly and henceforth forcing shots or turning the ball over at a high rate, then maybe it's time for a change. But if it's just about teammates wanting you to adjust to their slower pace instead of them adjusting to your quicker pace, I'd say that's their problem. In that case, that's called playing down to one's competition.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Thanks Rake, sometimes when I drive.. it does lead to forced shots and turnovers but this does not really happen a lot. Although, I am going to take that "Controlled aggressiveness" tip when driving inside.

Anyway, say I am bringing the ball up and I know I can beat my man.. should I still pass the ball since it is way too early to just drive and dish or just shoot? Sometimes I think I am way too much of a team player, and I should be more aggressive and take the shots.

How bout if I set my mindset flow chart be like this :

1. Look for pass
2. Noone of my team-mates I can pass to in their right positions where they are effective
3. Drive/Shoot instead which could also turn into drive and dish?

Is this the right mindset?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675

1. Look for pass
2. None of my team-mates I can pass to in their right positions where they are effective

I would take slow it down one of two ways. If your running your teammates into the ground then literally slow down and give them time to breath. Even if they are just out of shape it's not going to do you any good to have 4 guys who are trying to catch their breath every time you get down the floor. It could also mean to slow down mentally. When bringing the ball down look at all the match ups. When driving know where everyone is and way your options. If someones man helps know where they are so you can get them the ball.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

okay I've always thought that slow down meant -> don't drive inside and just pass the ball around.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAi2death is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

See, slow down to me means to breathe. I always have to remind my brother to slow down, but not like slow pace, his fast which is good. Slow down as in think an let the game flow. He has a habit of rushing, not waiting for a screen or a cut etc and forcing action.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Thanks Rake, sometimes when I drive.. it does lead to forced shots and turnovers but this does not really happen a lot. Although, I am going to take that "Controlled aggressiveness" tip when driving inside.

Anyway, say I am bringing the ball up and I know I can beat my man.. should I still pass the ball since it is way too early to just drive and dish or just shoot? Sometimes I think I am way too much of a team player, and I should be more aggressive and take the shots.

How bout if I set my mindset flow chart be like this :

1. Look for pass
2. Noone of my team-mates I can pass to in their right positions where they are effective

I suppose everyone's different but my mindset flow chart varies greatly from the one you posted. My mindset is to keep the game of basketball as simple as possible. That means, if I can score, I'm going to score. I will continue to do that until someone decides not to let me score any longer. It may sound like over-simplification (and it kind of is) but that's the general premise of it all.

Early on in my high school career, I used to have similar mentality issues that you've mentioned. I always used to wonder when it was and when it wasn't the right time to pass. For instance, on a fast break, I thought I'd have to pass at some point no matter what. But through watching a young Jason Kidd-like teammate play, I realized it was all a matter of making the easiest play possible. If he could drive and score, he'd drive and score every time. The minute he began to draw defensive help, he'd find the open man.

With all that said, I suppose things are indeed different for a point guard. Still, I don't think passing just for the sake of passing is doing much of anything (not that that's what you're doing). If you know for a fact you can beat your man and create havoc, I feel like that'd create better scoring opportunities than merely passing the ball to the wing (or something to that effect).

I still believe in your pushing of the pace though. As I mentioned before, I'm a big believer in making my teammates play to my pace as opposed to me playing to theirs (assuming their pace is slower). If I get the feeling they're all busting their tails and clearly just need a moment to catch their breath then it's understandable as to why one may want to slow the pace. However, if it's just a matter of teammates not really feeling like running the floor, then I'll force their hand.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Offense is all about taking what the defense doesn't take.

Defense is taking as much as you can away from their offense.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: