Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #391
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
We're about to give 30mil to Lin for 25 or so games...

I for one would like to get Gerald Green no doubt but I'm not sure how much he's worth. Definitely impressed me last season though.

I dont know what happened with the whole Novak situation, but if he's not back Shawne Williams became available this week. He and Portland agreed on a buy out I think.
We're matching Lin's value in the market, big difference, imo.

I like Green, but not for the mle.

Novak is pretty much a lock, unless someone blows him out the water, which there isn't too many teams with cap space now.

I'd welcome Purp back for the minimum.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #392
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
We're matching Lin's value in the market, big difference, imo.

I like Green, but not for the mle.

Novak is pretty much a lock, unless someone blows him out the water, which there isn't too many teams with cap space now.

He's a solid alternative for Novak but I'm not sure we need both of them. Just takes up a roster spot.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #393
percelloveknicks
Straight Hardcore

According to espn.com the rockets are interested in a sign and trade with the knicks for camby and not the heat, sure hope its not for shump.
percelloveknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #394
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114
He's a solid alternative for Novak but I'm not sure we need both of them. Just takes up a roster spot.
You can never have enough depth. Purp can play multiple positions and he would be a solid signing for a vet minimum.
I would love to have him back.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #395
el gringos
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by percelloveknicks
According to espn.com the rockets are interested in a sign and trade with the knicks for camby and not the heat, sure hope its not for shump.
Wouldnt it be for Lin? Camby and motiejunas would make it worth giving them Lin. Motiejunas is the exact type of pf to play w Carmelo.
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #396
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Mid level to a player who was on a 10 day contract?
I think you still have this impression that there aren't guys outside of the NBA that have the talent to play in the league. It's about opportunity. When he got his opportunity, he made the most of it. Lin was the same eact way so why are we ok with paying Lin this hefty contract but not less for a guy who actually has a longer trak record than Lin. Green played fairly well in Boston his 2nd year.

Quote:
I know I've asked this before, so I apologize, but who is Purp?

Quote:
I want green too, im interested in rashard lewis too.
Appears he headed to Miami. He's too injured for my taste though. He couldn't een get on the court with the Wizards because he was always hurt.

Quote:
I for one would like to get Gerald Green no doubt but I'm not sure how much he's worth. Definitely impressed me last season though.
He played really well for NJ. THIS is the time you get guys like that. Before they become the overpaid flavor of the month like Jerome James lol.

Quote:
I dont know what happened with the whole Novak situation, but if he's not back Shawne Williams became available this week. He and Portland agreed on a buy out I think.
We have his early bird rights so he's not an issue. We can go over the cap to re-sign him if we want. Shawne did get bought out and would be a nice player to have. Him and James White would add depth to a position we had no backup for. SF. If he signed for the minimum, which buyout guys are more willing to do than others, I'd be down.

Quote:
Wouldnt it be for Lin? Camby and motiejunas would make it worth giving them Lin. Motiejunas is the exact type of pf to play w Carmelo
I don't think we can sign and trade Lin. I think the only players we can sign and tade are Fields and Harrelson. Read that from the ESPN NY writer on his weekly chat. Not sure though.

Quote:
According to espn.com the rockets are interested in a sign and trade with the knicks for camby and not the heat, sure hope its not for shump

I think that move would push Grunwald passed Khan as the dumbest GM in the league. Shumpert is already one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Camby is 39 and wont play more than 2 yrs tops. I like Camby but to me, but I'm not giving up a quality potential starter for our backup C.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #397
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize

I know I've asked this before, so I apologize, but who is Purp?
Shawne Williams
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #398
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Oh boy. Here we go. More excuses. Knickscity, why cant you call it like it is? Grunwald is failing at his job. The rich are getting richer. You cant blame this one on the players or even Dolan. James Dolan, as dumb as he can be, always was willing to spend money. Grunwald simply doesnt know who to give it to. Now Miami may get a guy who is 38 but just as good if not better than Tyson Chandler for about 1/4 the price.

Ill wait until July 11th when FA becomes official but trust, a fire Grunwald thread is looming lol
Franchize I think you are flying over the coco's nest at this point.

You are not privy to the inner workings of the FO so you cant say what he is trying or isnt trying to do.

Just because he doesnt make the moves that you want or players arent coming here doesnt mean he's a failure. You're a smart guy you have to know that this isnt the destination of choice in basketball. This team isnt a winner and FA's use us to drive up their on price. People only want to come here for money no other reason which we dont have much of.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #399
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
I think you still have this impression that there aren't guys outside of the NBA that have the talent to play in the league. It's about opportunity. When he got his opportunity, he made the most of it. Lin was the same eact way so why are we ok with paying Lin this hefty contract but not less for a guy who actually has a longer trak record than Lin. Green played fairly well in Boston his 2nd year.
I said I like Green but not for the MLE, min salary would be just fine, otherwise he can kick rocks.

He's had years to establish himself as an NBA player, and only does it "ok" in bad situations.

The team is in win now mode, not school for the basketball tryouts.

Lin has made the Knicks a killing in revenue, when Gerald green does that for a franchise I'm sure he'll get paid as well.

Plus Linsanity eclipses Gerald Green's entire career so far, not even close.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #400
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Franchize I think you are flying over the coco's nest at this point.

You are not privy to the inner workings of the FO so you cant say what he is trying or isnt trying to do.

Just because he doesnt make the moves that you want or players arent coming here doesnt mean he's a failure. You're a smart guy you have to know that this isnt the destination of choice in basketball. This team isnt a winner and FA's use us to drive up their on price. People only want to come here for money no other reason which we dont have much of.
N what information are you privy too? Just seems like everyone is making a bunch of excuses for GMs every year on this message board but when Isaiah Thomas was here, nobody held back the hate. Now all of a sudden the Knicks are purgatory and people would be rather caught dead than play for them? Sorry, not buying it. I'm not buying that giving Jason Kidd 3 million dollars a year was the only option. If you want to believe that BS then I have ocean front property in Kansas to sell you. There are players that just want an opportunity to play. It's a GM's job to goand find the ones who deserve it.

Quote:
I said I like Green but not for the MLE, min salary would be just fine, otherwise he can kick rocks.

You're ok giving Kidd 3 mill but a Green is only worth the minimum? How hyporcritical is that?

Quote:
The team is in win now mode, not school for the basketball tryouts.

Lin has made the Knicks a killing in revenue, when Gerald green does that for a franchise I'm sure he'll get paid as well.

Glad to know thats what you care about. Making sure Dolan gets even richer. Basketball tryouts? Green has a longer track record than Lin. People conveniently forget Lin wasn't a rookie last year. He got in, had a few weeks of stellar basketball and he's getting 9 mill a year. Green had a year of decent play before last year. But w/e. F it. We don't sign guys like that anyway. We sign guys like Kurt Thomas way past due.

So I guess I have to come to terms with the fact that apparently it's a bad thing to have 2 of the best players in the league. Apparently, NY is te last place everyone wants toplay because it's the worst situation to be in. Players would rather be in the d-league than play for us. Apparently, a pg who avg 6 and 5 and is 39years old is worth a 3 yr 9 million dollar deal. Apparently 2nd round picks are worthless. And apparently this roster is to the point of no return and we're completely hopeless so it really doesnt matter who we sign.

Seems like a load of bullshit to me!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #401
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Franchize, I think you're underestimating how much Kidd has left in the tank. I'd bet last year was just an ugly year for him.

We should still start him though, to keep his workload down.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #402
Rameek
Krust Kingz

crying over the gm not making the moves you want does nothing. i do get some privy info occassionally but it rarily pans out

for whatever the reason is this is not the destination of choice unless the knicks overpay. the knicks dont win, dont have the roster people want to play with (of consequence). its just a grim fact.

most of the guys that some GM's find come from 10 day contracts and mostly on losing squads that have significant injuries. not from anything special. you're a smart guy that knows this.

as far as kid is concerned wouldnt have gone that route but i can see some of the rationale. i dont think Jkidd is the mentoring type either. i would rather have him than some of the other guys mentioned previously but there arent a lot of options for this team.

Quote:
N what information are you privy too? Just seems like everyone is making a bunch of excuses for GMs every year on this message board but when Isaiah Thomas was here, nobody held back the hate. Now all of a sudden the Knicks are purgatory and people would be rather caught dead than play for them? Sorry, not buying it. I'm not buying that giving Jason Kidd 3 million dollars a year was the only option. If you want to believe that BS then I have ocean front property in Kansas to sell you. There are players that just want an opportunity to play. It's a GM's job to goand find the ones who deserve it.

You're ok giving Kidd 3 mill but a Green is only worth the minimum? How hyporcritical is that?

Glad to know thats what you care about. Making sure Dolan gets even richer. Basketball tryouts? Green has a longer track record than Lin. People conveniently forget Lin wasn't a rookie last year. He got in, had a few weeks of stellar basketball and he's getting 9 mill a year. Green had a year of decent play before last year. But w/e. F it. We don't sign guys like that anyway. We sign guys like Kurt Thomas way past due.

So I guess I have to come to terms with the fact that apparently it's a bad thing to have 2 of the best players in the league. Apparently, NY is te last place everyone wants toplay because it's the worst situation to be in. Players would rather be in the d-league than play for us. Apparently, a pg who avg 6 and 5 and is 39years old is worth a 3 yr 9 million dollar deal. Apparently 2nd round picks are worthless. And apparently this roster is to the point of no return and we're completely hopeless so it really doesnt matter who we sign.

Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #403
el gringos
Decent college freshman

if camby is coming in a trade and neither amare or lin can be traded to get more pieces G Green is for sure worth 3 million a year for 2 years. the team badly needs an athletic player to come off the bench at 3 or 2

seeing both illyasova and ryan anderson signed and traded at around 8 per is sick. both those guys would have fit this team perfect and i just dont believe that amare has no value. I think teams are crazy not to take him now while his value is considered low. I guess the good part of not being able to trade amare for a piece that fits is that he still has alot of talent and alot of bball left in him

team still needs a shooter that can play the 4- whoever thinks novak and shawne williams fit the same role is out of their minds. they may do the same things on offense but novak can not cover a big. williams would be a great fit for the 1.5 or 8 or whatever slot that is
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #404
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Well I was told by someone who had information that dolan was pissed Lin wasn't playing BEFORE Linsanity began, and I posted it as well.

I also posted D'antoni was NOT gonna make it through the season and would be let go, although the time was wrong, it did happen.

Quote:

Green hasn't proven a single thing, other than he can play a little bit on a garbage team.

If Green is that great how come the Nets gave their mle to the dude from overseas? Even worse they gave him the full mle, the reworked the mini mle for him, and unknown to the NBA.

Shows how much they value the player on their team.

Quote:

It's not my team that's why. Dolan knows how much the kid put in his pockets and i can scream to the hills, and it won't change the fact Lin will be matched and Lin will be back.

All I can hope for is he will play well to earn his 5+ mil per year deal that has an opt out after three.

Understand the cap first, he only makes 9 mil in the final season, the season everyone including Melo comes off the books.

Quote:

What makes NY hard to attract talent imo is fans that don't appreciate what a player does, and swear by their own grave they know more than the guys who make millions to do their jobs.

Point proven....this year Melo was booed in the introductions, and people actually were screaming from the rafters every time Melo touched the ball for him to pass the ball.

A top 10 player been booed in his own building, and I'm supposed to take fans seriously?

And this is happened to the only player in the history of the Knicks that wanted to come here.

Players also don't want to come here because their is no stability.

Why sign with the Knicks when you know you'll be traded for the next shiny new player?

And by the way, we only have one of the best players in the league that being Melo, the others are one of the best at their position.

Chandler is one of the better centers, and Amare is one of the better forwards, but nowhere near one of the better players in the league, and certainly not as his third highest salary in the league would indicate.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #405
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
if camby is coming in a trade and neither amare or lin can be traded to get more pieces G Green is for sure worth 3 million a year for 2 years. the team badly needs an athletic player to come off the bench at 3 or 2

seeing both illyasova and ryan anderson signed and traded at around 8 per is sick. both those guys would have fit this team perfect and i just dont believe that amare has no value. I think teams are crazy not to take him now while his value is considered low. I guess the good part of not being able to trade amare for a piece that fits is that he still has alot of talent and alot of bball left in him

team still needs a shooter that can play the 4- whoever thinks novak and shawne williams fit the same role is out of their minds. they may do the same things on offense but novak can not cover a big. williams would be a great fit for the 1.5 or 8 or whatever slot that is
The fact that Ersan and Ryan got those deals show we could not have acquired them.

And I can't truly see any team wanting to trade for a guy who had his worst season of his career, third highest salary in the NBA and is uninsured right now.

The four spot is actually the least of my concern, as the minutes are clogged up.

If you think Amare can regain his form, then you'd have to think he will play at least 35 minutes in that position, and Melo also showed he can play some 4, and most likely at least 10 minutes he'll be there.

So you wouldn't trust Novak or Shawne for 5 minutes at the four? Come on.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: