Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #451
Clutch
NBA Legend

Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Knicks off-season review (not including Kidd signing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KhpMF4T10

Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #452
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
So then is that a no to Lin for you?

I'm not even Lin's biggest fan, but how are the two comparable?
Green is in the league since when? 2005?
He must have played like 4x the number of games Lin has played. And he had a much lower impact overall.
Jasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #453
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I haven't indicated in wanted Lin either, but I'm not blind in knowing the team will match his offer.

All I can hope for is that he produces.

But those guys are virtually useless for our team.

They won't grow without playing, and on our squad, they won't see the court much.

So no need to pay anything more than the minimum.
We have a starting sg? Really? Whats his name?
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #454
Rameek
Krust Kingz

I like Lin and I really do believe he has IT factor. The kid has some ability, works hard, hungy and he's coachable. There is upside for him to be a good player. He just needs to be coached up. Lin isnt worth that contract IMHO but this situation is the Knicks FO fault not his (you dont amnesty a PG to sign a C not ever replacing the PG). I believe every player should get paid money it might make sense for our team not to do it but every player should get their max money somewhere.

I want the Knicks to add young pieces in addition to Lin. Not one other FA/RFA IMHO was worth bringing here to start over Lin. But I get your point that if they are cheaper and servicable we could have let him go. I dont agree with that premise because in win now mode with all things said and done the Knicks had trouble scoring and getting easy baskets which Lin does both of.

Its funny I listen to sports radio fan/espn and so many Knick fans keep bringing up the Miami game but I just watched a finals where that same team LOCKED up "Fear the Beard", they locked up Rajon etc... when Miami decides to lock you up you do go to the slammer for life no parole.

I liked CDR when he was with the Nets but for whatever reason they made him disappear same thing happened in Milwaukee. He is consistently inconsistent. I wonder if there are locker room issues.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #455
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
jr smith/lin
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #456
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Green Telfair and Thornton are starting shooting guards.?

JR Smith says hello btw, but I do think they'll add another.

I already said I'll take green for the minimum, the others can kick rocks, although I need a defensive minded two.

Green is not that guy.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #457
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
they locked up Rajon.
Wait,WHAT ? Guy averaged 21/7/11 in a series and he had a career high of 44 in game 2 against them.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #458
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

We're paying $31 Million dollars for a guy who we're not even convinced will be a top 10 pg. 28 million for his contract and 3 million for his own personal coach. The more this Lin saga continues, the more Floyd Mayweather's comments seem less and less racist ... which they weren't to begin with.

Crazy part is, when I posted all of those point guards and who he was better than and who was clearly better than him, you guys agreed. Yet nobody has a problem with this contract?

Quote:
Green Telfair and Thornton are starting shooting guards.?

#1 Green can and has played SG. #2 I didn't ask for us to get Thornton to play sg. I suggested Thornton when we didn't have a backup SF. #3 I suggested Telfair when we didn't have a backup PG. I'm not an idiot, contrary to belief. I know a little about basketball. I've been going to basketball games since my mom was pregnant with me. I've been watching since I was born and I've played since I was 3. Once again. These guys were SUGGESTIONS. You guys are actng like I said if we don't sign Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair or Al Thornton, then Grunwald is an idiot. I brought those guys up to refute the notion that getting guys like Kidd, Jeffries, Bibby, Davis etc every year is the only option. I literally have made about 4 or 5 lists of guys we could get for CHEAP, and the same guys keep getting brought up like I'm Gerald Green's agent.

Quote:
jr smith/lin

So we're OK with JR Smith and Lin as our starting SG? Are we willing to go on record to say this is acceptable. Just asking.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #459
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
So we're OK with JR Smith and Lin as our starting SG? Are we willing to go on record to say this is acceptable. Just asking.

Do you think Green/Lin or JR Smith/Green would have been more acceptable?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #460
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Franchize, we're not bringing these guys names up, you are.

I've already stated I have no issues with Green, but only for the minimum.

Whether they are suggestions or not, these guys are not what the team needs., and the team is building in their eyes is a contender.

And by the length of just about each players contract, they'll have three years to do so.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #461
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Do you think Green/Lin or JR Smith/Green would have been more acceptable?

Last time I checked, Lin was supposed to be our "PG of the future". Where'd this SG stuff come from? So yes, I'd much rather have Gerald Green and Jr Smith as my shooting guards then Lin and Smith. Not even close. If Lin can't guard pg's, how the hell is he going to defend SGs?

Quote:
Franchize, we're not bringing these guys names up, you are

C'mon man. I brought up an entire list of people @ least 5 times. The only reason Gerald Green became an argument is because you guys were acting like he's a bum. I mean seriously. Your comments don't add up.
Here's some examples:

A guy like Gerald Green doesn't help the team but giving Kidd 3 million dollars when he's clearly shown he's way past his prime does when he can only give you 6 points and 5 assists AS A STARTER. How does that make sense?

We're in "win now" mode, but we're giving a guy 28 million dollars PLUS a 3 million dollar mentor to teach him how to play pg.

Gerald Green doesn't help our team, but we only have one SG on the roster at the beginning of the season and nobody wants JR Smith to start. (Shumpert won't be back until January the earliest).

The guys I mentioned aren't what the team needs but when I made the lists, we had no backup pg, no SG and we still have no backup PF.Who's our 3rd pg? Who's our backup SF? James White? Who's our backup PF? Lemme guess? Jeffries for yet another year. Should we just pencil him in now?

When's the last time we acquired (through trade, draft, FA etc.) a young, promising player and developed him? It's ok...I'll wait.

You don't get guys like that when every year you have a bunch of old farts on your roster.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #462
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
When's the last time we acquired (through trade, draft, FA etc.) a young, promising player and developed him? It's ok...I'll wait.

We had a couple of them and instead of developing them, we traded them away for Melo. Which you agreed with.

And well, the last time is actually December 27th, 2011, when we claimed Lin off waivers Or am I wrong?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #463
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Unless the Knicks find another SG the only option would play kidd and lin at the same time. Maybe you dont think Lin can score though?

No one is disputing that it sucks to give Lin that much money... That argument is moot at this point. But would I rather overpay a young guy with potential than bring in career scrubs for cheap? I will take the potential at this point. You acting like this is Lin's fault it isnt.

Their are no PG's out there of consequence that could be brought in to help this team with the current salary structure and lack of assets.

Your fascination of comparing Kidd and Green is strange... Green has done nothing in this league and really doesnt offer much in 7 years. Kidd averaged more stats in every other category than Green and is a floor general and leader. To put Green in the same breath as kidd is utterly nonsensical. Even at this stage of his career he still adds something to the court. You cant say the same for Green. But no one is opposed to bringing in Green for the minimum.

Quote:
We had a couple of them and instead of developing them, we traded them away for Melo. Which you agreed with.

And well, the last time is actually December 27th, 2011, when we claimed Lin off waivers Or am I wrong?

Pretty much thought about this myself. But you beat me to it.

Last edited by Rameek : 07-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #464
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Updating a previous report, the Grizzlies and Jerryd Bayless have agreed on a two-year contract worth approximately $3 million in the first year.
The second year of the deal is a player option, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, which adds that the Grizzlies are "done with summer transactions." Bayless projects as a combo guard off the bench in Memphis, filling the void left by O.J. Mayo's imminent departure.

Too bad he was injured after getting some minutes last year. He isnt a PG though and doesnt run the offense.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #465
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:

We developed Gallo? All he was doing was shooting threes. And we got one of the best players in the league and gave away a guy who stunk it up in a Game 7 when his team needed him. I think we've established that I'd do that deal any day of the week. Gallo is a role player. In fact, I'd give them Landry Fields too. We got 2 guys back really and they got back half of our team and they've won the same amount of playoff series as we have.

With Lin we're saying he's the guy RIGHT NOW. Paying him as such RIGHT NOW. There are rookie scale contracts for a reason. Basically, Lin superceded that and he can't hold guys like Kyrie Irving's jock strap. We thrust this kid in the driver's seat unfairly and paid him like he's established himself.

Quote:
Your fascination of comparing Kidd and Green is strange... Green has done nothing in this league and really doesnt offer much in 7 years. Kidd averaged more stats in every other category than Green and is a floor general and leader. To put Green in the same breath as kidd is utterly nonsensical. Even at this stage of his career he still adds something to the court. You cant say the same for Green. But no one is opposed to bringing in Green for the minimum.

No, acting like we're getting Jason Kidd from the NJ Nets days is nonsensical. All I'm saying is how is one worth 3mill and one a scrub only worth the minimum. That's like saying Lin isn't in the same breath as Clyde Frazier. Career wise, no, but Frazier can't play anymore. And to say Green did nothing in his career is ridiculous. He avg 10 ppg as a 18 year old in the NBA. It isn't like he avg 2 ppg, rode the bench all his career andthen had a decent month of play. What did Lin do his first year in the league btw?

Quote:
Unless the Knicks find another SG the only option would play kidd and lin at the same time. Maybe you dont think Lin can score though?

Who's he going to defend? This isn't fantasy basketball. And yes, I'd much rather have Gerald Green then have Jason Kidd as my starting pg. I don't know if I can make this point any clearer. I THINK JASON KIDD IS WASHED UP! I think he's a shade above Mike Bibby.

Let's just end this argument. But do me this favor. If Lin doesn't live up to the hype and/or Kidd stinks it up, call a spade a spade. Don't go blaming Melo and Amare for everything like a lot of yall did last year. Lin isn't making chump change anymore so he should not be exempt from the blame simply because of salary like so many ppl conveniently like to do.

Last edited by franchize : 07-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: