Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #46
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Whats hsppens wen its just coincidence?
When what's just a coincidence?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Uh oh...don't let Knicksman see that

It's also about opportunity though. Young players need to establish a rhythm and confidence. If teams don't give you significant playing time, it's hard to get going. See Jeremy Lin! End of the day, I'd take a chance on him. He'll be cheap and even a shell of him is better than Toney Douglas. I would also take a chance on Hasheem Thabeet. I'm not convinced he's a bum. I saw every game of UCONN's and I know the ability that guy possesses. I'm not saying he'll be dominant but I have no doubt in my mind he can contribute. Besides, once again, he'll probably be cheap.

I wouldn't mind testing the market for Gerald Green's worth.He's one of the guys I kept telling everyone about. Everybody kept saying "all he does is dunk." How'd that work out for NJ? Pretty damn well. I'm telling you guys. This kid can play.

Yeah, I like the idea of taking on guys looking for a 2nd chance espescially when you can get them for the minimum. Eventhough a guy like Terrence Williams was a knucklehead who seemingly didn't take basketball serious and feuded with his coaches, I still would've loved to have him for the minimum salary.

I like Thabeet. I mentioned bringing him in last year. I'd love to see that one happen. All we need him is for maybe 10 MPG on average and he might get a 15 minute game if hes lucky. Everyone says hes a bust and shouldn't have been the #2 pick but its not like the guy can't play in the league. Hes 7'3, all we need for him is to come in for a few minutes with the backups and make guys second guess about driving the lane knowing he'll swat it.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #48
Rowe
Scoring Champ

franchize, What about Al Thornton?

Right now Thornton is playing in Puerto Rico dominating to the tune of 25 PPG & 9 RPG.

Check this article out on his comeback:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...et-back-to-nba

Thornton put up 16 PPG just a few seasons ago and then struggled to find a fit on teams mainly due to his attitude. I mean he still put up 6 PPG in only 14 minutes with the Warriors last season, which would definetly be good for our 2nd unit. Al Thornton & JR Smith on a 2nd unit with 1 basketball? I'll take that risk assuming both guys can't be cold on the same night.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #49
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Honestly, we need some bodies on our bench. Have some dudes who NBA fans know of and aren't automatically gonna say are "washed up" or an unknown scrub. Get rid of the guys like Harrellson, Gadzuric, Bibby, Jordan, & Douglas. Depending on their asking price I'm open for letting Fields & Novak go in Free Agency.

Harrellson & Jordan are D-League guys at best. Waive them and let them spend the season with our D-League team in Erie so they can play & develop. Allan Houston is running the team now and we need to better utilize that squad as our minor league.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #50
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Just in case Jeremy Lin doesn't come back.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-top-10-point-guards

Scott Machado getting slept on once again by these writers.

He just found out he needed contacts, and he was basically playing most of last season putting up 10+ APG without having good vision.

Machado's "knock" is that hes not blazing fast or have a 38' vertical when its only a few dudes in the league who are athletic like that. But he knows how to use his body to compensate for that. He's a NYC kid so you know he's gonna be tough enough for the physical play being the smallest dude on the court. Not trying to overhype him but he has that Chris Paul vibe out there on the floor from the way he plays to his body build, but without all that flopping & running his mouth.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #51
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I concur with pretty much everything you said. Funny thing about Machado is, his knock is his athletcism but everyone raves about Marshall, who isnt much of an athlete. I actually like the guys on the honarable mention but if I had to chose one guy, Id probably go with Maalik Wayns. Tu Holloway, Jordan Taylor and Scoop Jardine are interesting too. Jardine probably will go undrafted because he isnt much of an athlete but he is a 5 yr senior with poise and experience who is truly a qb on the court. Plus hes bangin MJs daughter lol
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #52
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
I concur with pretty much everything you said. Funny thing about Machado is, his knock is his athletcism but everyone raves about Marshall, who isnt much of an athlete. I actually like the guys on the honarable mention but if I had to chose one guy, Id probably go with Maalik Wayns. Tu Holloway, Jordan Taylor and Scoop Jardine are interesting too. Jardine probably will go undrafted because he isnt much of an athlete but he is a 5 yr senior with poise and experience who is truly a qb on the court. Plus hes bangin MJs daughter lol

Word? Scoop better watch himself. Man, there isn't no possible way I'd try to get myself involved with his daughter no matter the money she's got. MJ got power like Mr.Biggs . If she ever comes to him crying about something Scoop did, he'll have him dropped off in the desert somewhere like R.Kelly was.

But back on the basketball tip, I like the kid Tu Hollaway. Im surprised he's fallen out of the Top 10 PG rankings when he was a pre-season All American. Yeah he's tough as nails. He always wanted to take over for his team whenever the game was close, so he'd probably make the most out of his minutes off the bench in the NBA. If he goes undrafted I'd love to see him on our Summer League team.

Talking abot Summer League, I've been monitoring Dwight Hardy from St.Johns numbers all season in Italy. Hes averaging 23 PPG over there. Hope he gets a chance to play for us in Summer League because hes the perfect shooter we need to space the floor.

Last edited by Rowe : 05-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #53
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Can't believe Scoooter is actually trying to defend +/- as a useful stat only because it makes Laundry Fields look better

Amare had the worst +/- of all Knicks players. Tell me how that happens to one of the "best" players on a team. That RARELY occurs and indicates an underlying trend beneath the boxscores.

+/- of course needs context. Landry has the highest +/- because he played with the starters (our best players). The moment the momentum shifted in the other teams favor (even though he caused it a number of times), his ass was yanked to the bench and a different line-up had to stop the bleeding. No surprise.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #54
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

We did tend to play better basketball with Fields on the floor. Often times I'd note teams going on runs when he would sub out, and said runs would cease when he was put in.

On the whole though, this season was so inconsistent and schizophrenic, these stats are tough to read.

Last edited by Scoooter : 05-15-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #55
Clutch
NBA Legend

You guys know I always liked Fields. He was my second favorite Knick last season (right after Gallo) and I was defending him early in the year.
But his shot became so bad that it frustrated me so much.

If he can spend summer working on his shot and come back with a shot he had in his rookie season than Fields will be very valuable player to this team.

I think J.R.Smith gets way too much burn and I want us to re-sign him but only if Woodson is going to play him in a limited role (scorer off the bench,not the freaking 2nd option).
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #56
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
You guys know I always liked Fields. He was my second favorite Knick last season (right after Gallo) and I was defending him early in the year.
But his shot became so bad that it frustrated me so much.

If he can spend summer working on his shot and come back with a shot he had in his rookie season than Fields will be very valuable player to this team.

I think J.R.Smith gets way too much burn and I want us to re-sign him but only if Woodson is going to play him in a limited role (scorer off the bench,not the freaking 2nd option).

Depending on what we do with our FA signings for depth in the backourt, JR's going to get a lot of playing time next season. Without Shumpert in the rotation until sometime early in 2013 we don't have much of a choice but to play him. Espescially when you consider just the threat JR brings to hit a 3 point shot, which is something Fields badly needs to work on fixing.

I honestly believe JR Smith is on par or slightly behind Ray Allen as far as 3PT shooters at the SG position, but he just doesn't know where to be to get the open 3 and he doesn't use screens. When you think about it, its almost crazy that he converts them at the rate he does taking contested 3's.

I wish he'd take some time to work on that in the offseason, but he'll probably just hit the clubs up all summer and show up in training camp with the same mindset.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #57
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Word? Scoop better watch himself. Man, there isn't no possible way I'd try to get myself involved with his daughter no matter the money she's got. MJ got power like Mr.Biggs . If she ever comes to him crying about something Scoop did, he'll have him dropped off in the desert somewhere like R.Kelly was.

"I did this to you."

Quote:
But back on the basketball tip, I like the kid Tu Hollaway. Im surprised he's fallen out of the Top 10 PG rankings when he was a pre-season All American. Yeah he's tough as nails. He always wanted to take over for his team whenever the game was close, so he'd probably make the most out of his minutes off the bench in the NBA. If he goes undrafted I'd love to see him on our Summer League team.

Talking abot Summer League, I've been monitoring Dwight Hardy from St.Johns numbers all season in Italy. Hes averaging 23 PPG over there. Hope he gets a chance to play for us in Summer League because hes the perfect shooter we need to space the floor

I doubt Tu goes undrafted I think he'll go early 2nd round.

Dwight Hardy can really ball. He was big time at St Johns. He would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't have to sit behind Malik Boothe
(who he's WAY better than)

Another guy to look at: Arguably the best pg that nobody knows about... Jordan Theodore out of Seton Hall. I've seen him play in college AND in tournament games. He played on the same Dyckman and Rucker teams as Kemba Walker and Corey Fisher. He's a scoring point guard but he can penetrate and dish as well. He's the typical NYC PG. Tough as nails. Quick with a sharp handle and puts pressure on the defense.

Quality PG's have been slipping into the 2nd round. We need to start capitalizing. Charles Jenkins started putting in work once he got playing time as I predicted. Norris Cole started had a solid season as I predicted. The guys are out there. We just need o stop trying to make huge splashes in FA. Stop chasing after the name and start chasing after the game. I don't want to see ANY old geezers on our roster next year. No Bibby, No Baron. I don't wanna hear rumors of us trying to bring Kurt Thomas or Grant Hill in. Let's go out, get some young, hungry talent. To hell with that "veteran leadership" crap. Tyson is a veteran and a leader. We don't need a bunch of geriatrics.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #58
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
Amare had the worst +/- of all Knicks players. Tell me how that happens to one of the "best" players on a team. That RARELY occurs and indicates an underlying trend beneath the boxscores.

+/- of course needs context. Landry has the highest +/- because he played with the starters (our best players). The moment the momentum shifted in the other teams favor (even though he caused it a number of times), his ass was yanked to the bench and a different line-up had to stop the bleeding. No surprise.

Show me those +/- numbers under Woodson and under D'Antoni.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #59
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I'm concerned about how we'll handle the MLE.

What we do with Lin and Fields will probably dictate how good we are next year. Accoriding to ESPN, Fields somehow is going to be as expensive as Lin. I'm sorry but he can go.

Also, I wonder what the asking price for Lamar Odom is. I dont think last season was an indication of what he has left. Plus, NY is one of the few places where he'll be comfortable and won't have to adjust much to.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #60
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Scott Machado had himself a great weekend.

Measured in at 6'1 205lbs and had the 2nd most bench reps at the Nets workout.

Quote:
Former Iona point guard Scott Machado was the most impressive guard in the building Saturday when 44 draft eligible players worked out for representatives of all 30 NBA teams.

Machado proved perfectly capable of running an offense, penetrated into the lane at will and did most of it at the expense of explosive Xavier guard Tu Holloway, another diminutive guard looking to secure draft positioning.

“Machado gets his teammates good shots,” one veteran NBA scout told SNY.tv after watching him play alongside 43 other NBA hopefuls at the Nets’ training center.

“I just want to show how I play and what type of player I am, the type of person I am as well,” said the 6-foot-1 Machado, who averaged 13.6 points and a Division 1-best 9.9 assists en route to winning the Haggery Award as the New York area’s top player.

“I just want to keep rising. I don’t really look at the draft boards or none of that. I just want to be one of the best point guards coming out and for everyone to recognize I’m one of the best point guards coming out.”

DraftExpress.com projects Machado going at No. 46 to the Knicks, who need a point guard to complement Jeremy Lin but are likely to pursue a veteran like Steve Nash via free agency.

The NBA scout confirmed that Machado would likely go in the second round and be chosen after North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall and Weber State’s Damian Lillard. Marquis Teague of Kentucky and Tyshawn Taylor of Kentucky could also go ahead of Machado.

“You need one team to like you,” Machado said. “The thing is to try to impress as much as you can so that you have more options. The better you play and the better you perform, the better it is. I think it’s all about opportunities in this league. Being able to get an opportunity, you have to be able to take advantage. I feel like if I do get picked in the second round, I can take advantage.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/05/19/m...mpress-scouts/

I think we've got our PG.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: