Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #676
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
There are only 48 minutes to go around at the PG position.

How in the world can Felton/Kidd/Pablo not handle those minutes split between them? If Felton struggles then he will play 20-25 minutes. Id literally be shocked if Kidd & Pablo are so terrible they can't scrap together 20 combined minutes of PG play. I wouldn't mind Flynn but that's only necessary if a major injury occurs before Shump returns. I just don't see how you can look at our PG position and be concerned that they can't handle the load, concerned to the point you think we need to sign a guy like Flynn right now.

Jonny Flynn isn't the same player he was coming out of college.

The hip injury really affected him as far as explosiveness is concerned, and that's why he was let o by 3 different teams who were looking to see if he could bounce back.

Jason Kidd will be 40 nearing seasons end and Prigioni is 35 while never playing a NBA minute in his life.. I'm not expecting anything from Prigioni at this point of his career and he seems to similar too Kidd from what I saw in the olympics(ball distributor, 3 point shooter, etc) So that leads Felton and Kidd as the only players who can play the PG position with Shumpert being out until mid-season.. I just don't want to see JR smith playing PG for us.

Flynn gives us versatility and a different skillset from our other guards. It can also allow us to use one of them at SG. It's good to have options
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #677
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Flynn gives us versatility and a different skillset from our other guards.
Yup, he'd be the one whos terrible at it.

Dude is awful, nothing suggests he'll regain any form here.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #678
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Jason Kidd will be 40 nearing seasons end and Prigioni is 35 while never playing a NBA minute in his life.. I'm not expecting anything from Prigioni at this point of his career and he seems to similar too Kidd from what I saw in the olympics(ball distributor, 3 point shooter, etc) So that leads Felton and Kidd as the only players who can play the PG position with Shumpert being out until mid-season.. I just don't want to see JR smith playing PG for us.

Flynn gives us versatility and a different skillset from our other guards. It can also allow us to use one of them at SG. It's good to have options

I understand that but I don't see why you're concerned about Felton & Kidd holding up at the PG position. The addition of Jonny Flynn would be solely if an injury occurs, and another PG would be signed long before JR Smith is ever out there playing PG.

The only way Felton or Kidd plays so poorly at the PG position that they negatively impact the team is if their shot is off. That could possibly happen, as you said Kidd will be almost 40 and you never know what you'll get scoring-wise out of Felton.

However the actual part of them being able to run an offense isn't up for question. Both guys will still find ways to distribute the ball on offense regardless of how many points they score, and thats something we did not have at all last season except for when Lin got the job. Just the fact all 3 of our PG's are upgrades over Toney Douglas & Mike Bibby makes me sleep better at night.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #679
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Yup, he'd be the one whos terrible at it.

Dude is awful, nothing suggests he'll regain any form here.

How is he awful? You've said this numerous times but please explain to me why you feel this way. Just curious.

Jonny Flynn's last game: 18 pts, 11 ass, 5 reb
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #680
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
How is he awful? You've said this numerous times but please explain to me why you feel this way. Just curious.

Jonny Flynn's last game: 18 pts, 11 ass, 5 reb
Does it really need an answer why, everyone already knows the kid is terrible.

Are you seriously using his last game of the meaningless year in his contract year as an indication of his play?

He only scored in double figures twice other than that last season, and never even came close to getting double digit assists in any game.

The kid wasn't even smart enough to boost his stats a little of a stretch to attempt to look serviceable.

He aint even worth the minimum.

He's a 5 pt 3 dime no defense guy at best.

I hate to say this, but I'd rather have backup extraordinaire Telfair.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #681
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Does it really need an answer why, everyone already knows the kid is terrible.

Are you seriously using his last game of the meaningless year in his contract year as an indication of his play?

He only scored in double figures twice other than that last season, and never even came close to getting double digit assists in any game.

The kid wasn't even smart enough to boost his stats a little of a stretch to attempt to look serviceable.

He aint even worth the minimum.

He's a 5 pt 3 dime no defense guy at best.

I hate to say this, but I'd rather have backup extraordinaire Telfair.

Obviously EVERYONE doesn't "KNOW" that. I've said this repeatedly. It's about opportunity. You can't put up huge numbers when you don't get playing time. Playing time isn't always indicative of talent. Look at Lin. He was a game or two away from being cut. Did he become good over night? No. He just got the opportunity to play. Bottom line is, when he was given quality playing time in Minnesota, he was getting 13 ppg and looking like a promising young pg. He got hurt. He came back from injury way too soon. He's only 23 years old. I find it hard to believe he all of a sudden forgot how to play and he sucks.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #682
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Obviously EVERYONE doesn't "KNOW" that. I've said this repeatedly. It's about opportunity. You can't put up huge numbers when you don't get playing time. Playing time isn't always indicative of talent. Look at Lin. He was a game or two away from being cut. Did he become good over night? No. He just got the opportunity to play. Bottom line is, when he was given quality playing time in Minnesota, he was getting 13 ppg and looking like a promising young pg. He got hurt. He came back from injury way too soon. He's only 23 years old. I find it hard to believe he all of a sudden forgot how to play and he sucks.
He didn't even have a good rookie season.

He took 11 shots to get those 13 points.

He's had his time, glad we didn't get to draft him.

He can't shoot, no defense, and doesn't take care of the ball.

Nobody really wants him, which is why he has no job right now.

Let him go to a bottom feeder and works his way back.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #683
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

Knicks scouts brought Taylor Jr. for another workout just this past week, and reportedly loved what they saw yet again. Addressing his client's prospects for the upcoming season, BJ Bass of RBA Sports said, "There are a few NBA teams that have Tony on their short list for veteran's camp, including the Knicks, Magic, Celtics, Heat, Pacers, and Lakers. There are also about half a dozen D-League teams that want him as their starting point guard." Knicks Journal

Tony Taylor Jr. from George Washington.

Last edited by idizzle : 08-20-2012 at 06:54 PM.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #684
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

He'll fit right in!

You'll never stop me!
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #685
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Scoooter, Lin is gone man.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #686
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Knicks scouts brought Taylor Jr. for another workout just this past week, and reportedly loved what they saw yet again. Addressing his client's prospects for the upcoming season, BJ Bass of RBA Sports said, "There are a few NBA teams that have Tony on their short list for veteran's camp, including the Knicks, Magic, Celtics, Heat, Pacers, and Lakers. There are also about half a dozen D-League teams that want him as their starting point guard." Knicks Journal

Tony Taylor Jr. from George Washington.

Saw him live at GWU & in the summer league THE-BALL game between DC vs Philly products. He has some potential, but I didnt see him as a sure-fire NBA prospect.

D-League might be a good spot for him.

On that note.

Whatever happened with Scott Machado, Tu Holloway, or even Terrell Stoglin? I haven't seen anything on these guys signing overseas. Would still love to get 1 of these guys into camp just to see if they have what it takes.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #687
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Agree that its all about opportunity. But right now at the moment Flynn doesn't have anything going for him to make any team give him a shot. He's young and he was a high pick but he only got playing time because Portland wanted to see what he could do before they let him go. They did the same thing with Thabeet too

I suggested the D-League earlier and I think thats the only route for him to get back into the NBA on a guaranteed contract. Not unless he wants to go to China to dominate for 1/2 of the length of the NBA season and make some good money.

Franchize you gotta admit man thats its been some years since we saw him looking like a stud at Syracuse. Time has flown by. Just look at how Brandon Triche who was his pudgy replacement is now heading into his Senior Year at Cuse. NBA teams feel the same way. They dont remember the same player you do because they haven't seen that same level of talent.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #688
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
He didn't even have a good rookie season.

He's had his time, glad we didn't get to draft him.

Nobody really wants him, which is why he has no job right now.

Let him go to a bottom feeder and works his way back.

Well we've already had this discussion regarding other players. Just because you aren't signed, it doesn't mean you can't play at a high level. We've already had that argument and it seems like we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. Having played against current and former NBA players and been fortunate to talk to guys who work within the NBA, including my friend who just landed a job working under the assistant GM for the Nets, I can tell you that not having an NBA gig IS NOT always indicative of your talent. I also disagree that he didn't have a good rookie year. But to each is own.

I just don't get how you can be a Knicks fan, after the year we've had, and still make statements like that. Lin is a prime example of opportunities. Chris Smith as well. Is JR's brother better than most guy in the D-league? No. But you know what, he has a contratc right now and they don't. I have a cousin playing in the Phillipines that would KILL Chris Smith. When you have teams like the Knicks who would rather sign guys that are washed up than take a chance on a young talent, it's impossible for the argument that "all players worthy of playing in the NBA have contracts" to be true.

I've been preaching to you guys for years. A lot of GM's are lazy... especially Knicks GM's lol

Quote:
Whatever happened with Scott Machado, Tu Holloway, or even Terrell Stoglin?

Sad part is, if they WERE foreign players, they'd be all the rave. Nobody can look at Scott Machado and Kendall Marshall in Summer League and say Marshall is better. It comes down to one having a guaranteed contract and one not being drafted. So one will get all the development and help in the world as long as he's healthy. The other will be scrapping just trying to make a team...which means in most tryouts he won't play his game. He'll be playing just not to mess up...which is no way to play basketball.

Quote:
Franchize you gotta admit man thats its been some years since we saw him looking like a stud at Syracuse. Time has flown by. Just look at how Brandon Triche who was his pudgy replacement is now heading into his Senior Year at Cuse. NBA teams feel the same way. They dont remember the same player you do because they haven't seen that same level of talent.

My dad would kill you for mentioning Brandon Triche in the same sentence. He hates that guy. Triche is.... No words.

Quote:
Knicks scouts brought Taylor Jr. for another workout just this past week, and reportedly loved what they saw yet again.

I caught bits and pieces of that on the local TV out here in Maryland. He looked OK. Nothing that wowed me but he definitely held his own. I admittedly didnt watch all of it though.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #689
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Opportunity is fine.

Give a guy no one knows an opportunity.

Lin was that guy, but Lin also barely got to play.

Tony Taylor might be that guy.

I don't see Flynn as that guy, he's had a chance to play and stunk it up doing so, but even if he does be that guy, congrats to him.....elsewhere.

The difference to me is, the team has no luxury of getting guys to revive careers.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #690
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Scoooter, Lin is gone man.
Yeah, six months too late. We should have traded him for Dragic.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: