Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #796
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Breaking news!!!!

Flynn got waived as did T Will.

I would sign Terrence Williams. I don't think we need another PG though. I am fine with Felton, Kidd & Prig.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #797
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Breaking news!!!!

Why is it breaking news ? It's not like we're going to sign any of those two.
Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #798
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Breaking news!!!!

Lol
How many more times do they have to be dumped before everyone understands that they are not NBA material?
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #799
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Some of you guys really don't get how the NBA works. I have cousins and friends who are struggling to make rosters both here and abroad. It's really disrespectful to them and others to assume that they "aren't NBA material" just because they got cut. The NBA is full of politics and guaranteed contracts. Just because a guy gets cut, doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to make the team. It doesn't mean he was outplayed by his competition either. Take Scott Machado for instance. The 2 preaseason games he actually got burn, he played well. Other than that, he's only seen like 5 minutes per game.

Now if he outplays Lin, Douglas and Livingston...does that mean he makes the team? No. Why? Because Lin is the cash cow. They invested tons of money into him. Douglas has a guaranteed contract and Livingston has 7 years of NBA experience. Regardless of the production, Machado has the odds stacked against him. I would take Jonny Flynn and T Will over 90% of our bench RIGHT NOW. Say what you will, Jonny Flynn avg almost 15 ppg just 2 years ago. I find it hard to believe he all of a sudden forgot how to play. That said, we don't need Flynn at this point. We do need a guy like T Will, especially if we're talking about playing Melo at the 4.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #800
Jasi
Quality?

First off, it's not like they got cut once. Both have had plenty of chances. So all of the times they been cut because of non-technical reasons? Might be...

Anyway, if this is the reasoning, you should apply it also for 35 yr old international players who actually make the NBA.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #801
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Those guys are getting cut from everywhere they play.

And quite frankly, I think we all could use a refresher on the NBA.

They do have some of the most talented players in the world, not to say there isn't people outside that have the talent to make it.

Flynn is getting cut because he has turned into garbage, but i'm sure teams will still give him a look for another year or two because he is still young, but right now he is terrible, and i don't want him nowhere near this team.

I do consider the Knicks a playoff team, and if i'm in the playoff i want some experience, not a guy who can't show he can even transform his game to acceptable.

T-Will on the other hand, does play well wherever he goes, but his head isn't screwed on quite right.

Would i take him, yes, if we needed a player in his position, but we don't.

To be honest, those guys got cut because because they were only training camp filler, and i was only making humor.

The Pistons pretty much have a fully roster of guaranteed contracts, and those two had no shot anyway.

You don't cut guranteed to make room for one that isn't.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #802
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
First off, it's not like they got cut once. Both have had plenty of chances. So all of the times they been cut because of non-technical reasons? Might be...

Anyway, if this is the reasoning, you should apply it also for 35 yr old international players who actually make the NBA.

You do know we are the only team that was interested in him right lol

Sundiata Gaines got cut yesterday too unfortunately. Shame too. He actually started some games for NJ. Unfortunately, the team he got a chance from, already has 3 PG's under contract. That's the way the business goes sometimes

Last edited by franchize : 10-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #803
Rameek
Krust Kingz

i have/had family/friends in the NBA. Fortunately they are prominent players so only 1 has struggled the last couple of years and he was a Knick at one point.

That said Franchize/Knickcity both made valid points about how the NBA works. The politics behind the scences is utterly ridiculous sometimes and it makes it difficult to get IN and/or stay IN. With that said guaranteed contracts supercedes talent the Ol' Boy network supercedes talent to the point Owners/GMs/Presidents/Coaches/Scouting departments will collude to keep players out if they are rubbed the wrong way.

I dont think highly of Flynn and when he was drafted I would have liked him to be on the Knicks because the Knicks had no one else so desperate times calls for desperate measures. Do I think he has some skills I guess but I am not a fan of his game.

TWill is fine just no room for him at this point.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #804
el gringos
Decent college freshman

The roster is not complete. Now it's ok to say that- a month or two ago it wasn't?

The problem is the lack of players w trade value- ESP w Amare's value being really questionable.
Carmelo- tons of value, but why trade him without ever trying to build around him
Shumpert- only young player w value, would you have to trade him to make any significant deal? If you only plan to use him as a sg you have to be willing to move him
Chandler-maybe he is the one who should be traded while still at high value if nobody will take amare
Felton- very moveable w a backup pg contract- cant see why a team wouldn't demand him in any amare deal.

Anybody else have much positive trade value? Maybe Novak and k Thomas as salary

Team badly needs a shakeup- waiting another year lowers every one of their values. Sure it was amares team but as soon as you get Carmelo you need to build around him and not despite him
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #805
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

What about Derrick Brown? He just got released. He can play the 3 or 4. He played pretty well for us in limited minutes under the D'antoni regime...which isn't his style of play. He also played pretty well for Charlotte last year.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #806
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I have no issue with Brown.

He's not a 4 though.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #807
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
The roster is not complete. Now it's ok to say that- a month or two ago it wasn't?

The problem is the lack of players w trade value- ESP w Amare's value being really questionable.
Carmelo- tons of value, but why trade him without ever trying to build around him
Shumpert- only young player w value, would you have to trade him to make any significant deal? If you only plan to use him as a sg you have to be willing to move him
Chandler-maybe he is the one who should be traded while still at high value if nobody will take amare
Felton- very moveable w a backup pg contract- cant see why a team wouldn't demand him in any amare deal.

Anybody else have much positive trade value? Maybe Novak and k Thomas as salary

Team badly needs a shakeup- waiting another year lowers every one of their values. Sure it was amares team but as soon as you get Carmelo you need to build around him and not despite him
I think we should trade Amare for a stretch 4. Someone who can shoot. We need to surround Melo with shooters and give him space to operate. Maybe Bargnani. What do you think ?
Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #808
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
I have no issue with Brown.

He's not a 4 though.

He's played both the 3 and 4. He played the 4 throughout college at Xavier. Our options are limited. Or call Kenyon Martin again? At some point his demands are going to have to lessen. Looks like nobody is biting.

Heres some other options:
Chris "Birdman" Anderson
Troy Murphy
Anthony Tolliver
Bobby Simmons
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #809
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
He's played both the 3 and 4. He played the 4 throughout college at Xavier. Our options are limited. Or call Kenyon Martin again? At some point his demands are going to have to lessen. Looks like nobody is biting.

Heres some other options:
Chris "Birdman" Anderson
Troy Murphy
Anthony Tolliver
Bobby Simmons
Brown is too small to be an NBA PF.

I'm sure K-mart really isn't concerned at this point and knows he can latch on to a team later on in a playoff hunt.

I like Bird on that list, the others not so much.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #810
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

We're just gonna end up playing Melo at the 4 and Jason Kidd will be starting with Felton in the back court. Brewer will be the 3. Who am I kiddin?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: