Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #76
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Default Re: Trades,Free Agency, Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
They have the NBA Combine. You work out 2nd round picks because they more than likely won't be invited to the combine. From the combine, you have individual workouts with guys you potentially could take. The high lottery picks have say-so in which ones they go to. For instance, the Knicks wouldn't invite Kyrie Irving for a workout because theres no way he'd slip to where they pick. If they did invite him, he would obviously say no. It's a waste of time, risk of injury and risk of draft position if some guy bust your ass. Furthermore, even if he did slip, the Knicks wouldn't need a private workout to tell them to pick him. I'm not sure about the NBA but I think the NFL has a limit on the number of times you can meet with a guy and the number of players you can have workouts with.

Definetly.

Yeah NBA teams can workouts as many players as they want, while the NFL teams can only have 30 individual workouts. I wish more teams would do it the way that the Nets did by having workouts with draft prospects and guys who didn't play in the NBA this season. They're leaving no stone unturned.

I see that we're working out Robert Sacre from Gonzaga on the 29th.

Cant be any softer than Jerome Jordan.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #77
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Might sound like a crazy idea, but I've actually thought of it.

What do you guys think about adding both Ben Wallace & Rasheed Wallace?

Cut Jordan & Jorts and send them down to the D-League this season to develop.

With Mike Woodson being locked in as our coach, maybe they would want to come play for him and help add toughness, leadership, & a Championship pedigree to our team. We NEED that. Woodson was an assistant on those Pistons teams and it seems like he had a good relationship with both.

Sheed is one of my favorite players and I still think he can play 15-20 MPG in the NBA, just needs to get in shape during the offseason and be committed to 1 more year instead of debating doing it mid-season.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #78
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Sheed isn't in shape even when he's playing professional basketball for 8 months out of the year. I shudder to think of what he looks like after two years away from the game.

I love Ben Wallace, but he's old. And I think he retired.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #79
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Teams workout so many 2nd Round/undrafted type players because these guys are who you call for Summer League to battle for a chance in Training Camp. You never know who might impress in those workouts. Look at what happened with Landry Fields. He was projected to go undrafted before we worked him out. We grabbed him in Round 2 and he ended up having had a better rookie season at SG than the #2 pick.

btw I'm certain that Cunningham and Wroten will get workouts with the Knicks sooner or later as they hear about their stock and teams interested in them. Most of these guys would love to play in New York City.

Both are combo guards working out exclusively at PG and it seems like the Knicks management is fully aware we should be looking for Guards.

I agree about Fields. My thing is, if your a GM or scout, no stone should go unturned. That's your job. It can't hurt. In fact, that year, the two most successful players to come out of the Portsmouth Invitational are Knicks now (Lin, Fields). I'd expect teams to go to as many pre-draft tournament, D-league games, overseas, college games, HS games etc. as possible. Why not? Tons of kids play basketball...especially African American kids. To assume that the only talented players are all in the NBA is foolish. If you put together a poor team, at least don't let it be because of lack of doing your HW.

Quote:
Sheed isn't in shape even when he's playing professional basketball for 8 months out of the year. I shudder to think of what he looks like after two years away from the game.

I love Ben Wallace, but he's old. And I think he retired.

I agree and yes...Ben is retiring. And he said if he were to come back, he wouldnt wear another jersey.

http://espn.go.com/nba/conversations...etiring-season

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...allace_wi.html
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
idizzle
Good college starter

Scott Machado is known for reading defenses, but he also has a pretty good read on the Knicks. After his predraft workout for Mike Woodson and the Knicks on Thursday, Machado said they need help at the point guard position. The former Iona standout and Queens product sees himself as a good fit for the team he grew up watching. Newsday

"For any point guard that wants to play here, I feel like it's a good opportunity," Machado said. "They got some players that are banged up, hurt or some players that are retiring or old. Newsday
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #81
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Scott Machado is known for reading defenses, but he also has a pretty good read on the Knicks. After his predraft workout for Mike Woodson and the Knicks on Thursday, Machado said they need help at the point guard position. The former Iona standout and Queens product sees himself as a good fit for the team he grew up watching. Newsday

"For any point guard that wants to play here, I feel like it's a good opportunity," Machado said. "They got some players that are banged up, hurt or some players that are retiring or old. Newsday

He has a bunch of workouts lined up. He's already had 5. I hear he did realy well in the Nets combine style workout. I heard he's played against Tu twice and killed him both times.

I wouldnt mid taking a look at Machado's teammate Michael Glover either!

Last edited by franchize : 05-25-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #82
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
He has a bunch of workouts lined up. He's already had 5. I hear he did realy well in the Nets combine style workout. I heard he's played against Tu twice and killed him both times.

I wouldnt mid taking a look at Machado's teammate Michael Glover either!

Yeah Optimus Prime might be a NBA player if he develops into a NBA player if he can improve his 3PT shot. Physically the dude is a plain beast kinda like a Joey Graham type of player. Hopefully he comes in for a workout too.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #83
Rowe
Scoring Champ

On the topic of beasts. Darius Johnson-Odom came in for a workout.

Quote:
Marquette guard Darius Johnson-Odom was the most impressive perimeter defender at the Brooklyn Nets' draft combine last Saturday. He was the loudest one, calling out pick-and-roll screens and back picks, and aggressively getting up on guys and causing turnovers. His play made the GMs and scouts in attendance look at each other in mutual agreement, and then make a note.

As a senior, he held opposing players to about 30 percent shooting in isolation plays, according to Synergy Sports.

Interview:
Quote:
Q: What were you trying to prove out there today?

A: I know what the Knicks need, so I came in with a defensive mindset. With Iman being out, with Baron [Davis] being out, I know that they need somebody who can step up and play D. Everybody knows I can score the ball; that's the least of my worries. But I want to be a player that impacts the team on defense. That's going to be my main focus throughout these workouts. If that means me playing seven minutes in the league and guarding the best player, that's what I'm willing to do.

Q: What's your defensive approach on the court?

A: Always talking, communicating. ... I'm very physical, try to be aggressive on that end -- just try to make it hard on the offensive player. I use my athletic ability. I have a pretty decent wingspan, so I just try to use it as much as possible.

Q: Are there any defensive players in the NBA who you look up to?

A: Young players. Iman was one player that I thought changed the game for the Knicks with his height, his wingspan, his strength, his speed. He was just an incredible defender. He had a huge impact on the team. I haven't gotten to meet him, but hopefully soon.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...defensive-hole

I know these guys are trying to leave a good impression to get drafted, but this is the first time where you're seeing these interviews from guys who genuinely sound like they really want to play for the Knicks. It seems like these guys were at home watching the team play this season and seeing how they could possibly help this team out.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #84
Rameek
Krust Kingz

With 7 players on the roster I hope the Knicks can at least buy another pick.

Pretty much every other team in the league has there starting PG and many have one in the wings except the Knicks.

The Knicks have a need in every single position so I hope PG goes first and no SG slash PG type players. I rather have a Fear the Beard type than a Westbrook/Rose type.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #85
bluechox2
#knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek

Pretty much every other team in the league has there starting PG and many have one in the wings except the Knicks.

The Knicks have a need in every single position so I hope PG goes first and no SG slash PG type players. I rather have a Fear the Beard type than a Westbrook/Rose type.
we have no money to buy one, used our one time 3 mil to send turiaf away
bluechox2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #86
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek

I think we can buy a late 1st Rounder.

- Memphis at #25 is close to the Luxury Tax and doesn't really have a "need" for a rookie on their team. If they sell the pick, we could slide in there and take the Best Player Available who's slipping in the Draft.

- OKC at #28 is in the same situation as Memphis. They really have no need for a rookie in their lineup as they have depth at each position and should be pursuing veterans off the bench instead. I think that is our best chance to buy a pick and move in Round 1.

Then at the top of the 2nd Round you've got Cleveland and Portland who each have an extra draft pick. I would love to send Toney Douglas to Portland for either the #40 or #41 pick.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #87
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
we have no money to buy one, used our one time 3 mil to send turiaf away

Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #88
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Toney Douglas is going to be key.

Kyle Lowry wants out of Houston and I want in! I'd do a Lowry and Dalembert for Chandler and Douglas deal in a heartbeat.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #89
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Quote:

Kyle Lowry wants out of Houston and I want in! I'd do a Lowry and Dalembert for Chandler and Douglas deal in a heartbeat.

So would I...but dont ever expect that to happen. I honestly see the Rockets moving Lowry for that scoring big they've been craving for for years. I could see the Lakers offering Pau Gasol for Lowry and some other players to even the deal out.

Or maybe they send a good package for a guy like Al Jefferson? He should be available with all the youth stacked up in the front court for Utah...those guys need minutes. Lowry on the other hand is an upgrade from Harris IMO. They would also probably grab some other pieces back too to help out the back court and balace out their roster.
Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #90
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:

Done deal.

Would be perfect for us and give us a little more flexibility next offseason.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: