Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Games are supposed to be relaxing?

I quit my oath towards the NBA for the same reason. Basketball is no fun when you are awesome at it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I quit my oath towards the NBA for the same reason. Basketball is no fun when you are awesome at it.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He's the type who rage quits, dashboards.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
flipogb
Banned

play different genres, I suck at shooting game so I stay away from those.

try games that don't need hand eye coordination ,like turn based rpgs
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
ace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
You have a f*cked up perspective on things. None of what you say is true, and the whole bit about you being so bad ass and good which is why you're frustrated, you're not fooling anyone. You are just another sore loser who can't cope with video games because you obsess over it and it takes over your personal life. You've all but said it in those words dude.

It's a great thing you're giving up video games. Bravo for being able to get rid of such a burden. I'm sure you'll make a killer omelette someday because of it.
This
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
I like the challenge of online gaming. Gaming these days is pretty damn useless unless you play online, in my opinion.

Games are way too expensive to just buy for single player, thus I will be frustrating people like you for years to come.
I think it all depends on the gamer, as I'm sure you'd agree.

For me, I find virtually no enjoyment in playing my games online. Contrary to my competition, it turns out I'm not good at video games. What I seem to enjoy in video gaming is finding a level that's challenging, but just challenging enough to allow me to eventually overcome and succeed.

For instance, I like setting up my NBA 2K to a level where each game will be competitive against the computer, but I'll be in control of winning if I play as well as I know I can. Ditto for Dirt 3. I like playing at a level where if I race as good as my ability allows, I'll very often be victorious. But if I race poorly, I'll often lose.

The issue with online gaming is my lack of control in terms of my own success and enjoyment. Particularly with NBA 2K, I have absolutely zero interest in working hard to find out a way to stop an opponent from skillfully morphing through my defenders. And I'm not interested in perfecting the ability to crouch my ballhandler in a post-up position in the backcourt in hopes of not drawing an unstoppable steal animation from my frantic, double teaming, floaty pass-inducing, online opponent.

Basically, I'm much more interested in simulating my own form of basketball, racing or whatever else instead of attempting to out-compete a stranger by any means possible. As such, offline play is where it's always been for me. I understand those who approach video games for the sake of competition. That's just not me. I look to them for straight enjoyment, and that enjoyment is not derived from playing random strangers.

As a side note, I did play 2K12 online for a little bit, just in hopes of garnering some XBox achievements. I know this doesn't tell the whole story, but I think my record was something like 10-2. Point being, I experienced relative success, but it was completely not enjoyable. Each game stressed me to the max as I wondered if my opponent would just play a cheesy style the whole game, or abuse an exploit, or pause the game and replay every dunk, or insist on double team everywhere, or pressure full-court, or chill in a 1-3-1 zone with four defenders above the free throw line taking advantage of a lame 2K passing system. I could counter these techniques, but it was tiring and frustrating and hence not the reason I play the game to begin with.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: