Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Tayshaun Prince wants a veteran PG

"Brandon Knight is our starting point guard and will continue to be, but hopefully we can get a veteran point guard to kind of mentor him a little bit," Prince said. "There can be times that me and Ben Wallace can mentor and help him out and whatnot, but I think if you have a point guard that's been through the wars, he can help him out a little bit better than we can."

It remains to be seen if Wallace will return for his 17th season, but Prince's assessment makes sense for the roster.

-- Detroit Free Press
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Tayshaun Prince wants a veteran PG

I think that's a vet looking out for other vets. I think PG is the least of our worries right now. Stuckey has been here long enough that he should be a leader and mentor. Funny thing is Kyrie Irving doesn't seem to need one....
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker has decent reputationAussie Dunker has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I think that's a vet looking out for other vets. I think PG is the least of our worries right now. Stuckey has been here long enough that he should be a leader and mentor. Funny thing is Kyrie Irving doesn't seem to need one....

Irving was the #1 pick, best player in the draft, why should Knight live up to the expectations placed upon Irving

Knight and the Pistons would hugely benfit from having a vet point guard to mentor him through his first few seasons. Wish Lindsey Hunter was about 4 years younger because he would be perfect...
Aussie Dunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
Irving was the #1 pick, best player in the draft, why should Knight live up to the expectations placed upon Irving

Knight and the Pistons would hugely benfit from having a vet point guard to mentor him through his first few seasons. Wish Lindsey Hunter was about 4 years younger because he would be perfect...

Why not? Why would Knight not want to be a better PG than Irving? He played well against him this season. There's plenty of PG's that don't have vets with them. Tay and Wallace are vets. They provide leadership. I think what would have been a benefit to him was going to summer league and having a training camp.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

Billups is a free agent.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Billups is a free agent.

I'd love to see him retire a Piston, but I would think after how burned he felt when he was traded he probably would never think about coming back to Detroit. He probably doesn't want to move again. I could see him staying in LA or if he goes somewhere it would be a contender.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can't blame him.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

The more I think about this, I think there's something deeper to what he's saying. We all see the Pistons not playing the young guys as much as they should. What that means is they don't get a top 5 draft pick. They're typically a little farther down. While we've been successful with our last few drafts, it's not like we're getting the top tier players either. It's pretty obvious Detroit isn't going to be good for a while. I think Tay sees that too. I think he's probably sick of losing after having so much success before. He probably wants to play for a winner. I'm not saying he's asking out of Detroit, but I would be he'd rather be with a team that's contending right now.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Why not? Why would Knight not want to be a better PG than Irving? He played well against him this season. There's plenty of PG's that don't have vets with them. Tay and Wallace are vets. They provide leadership. I think what would have been a benefit to him was going to summer league and having a training camp.

I don't think it's a question of motivation and wanting to be better. I think he's saying it's unfair to compare him to the #1 pick in the draft that eventually became the ROY. Irving has so many more tools, hence his draft spot. Of course he's going to have more success.

I'd love to see a veteran coach show Knight the ropes.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: