Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default David Falk says 2012 is a one-player Draft

Charlotte Observer:

“This is a one-player draft,’’ Falk told the Observer on Monday, referring to Kentucky freshman big man Anthony Davis. “Picks two through eight, there’s not a lot of separation. There’s just not a lot of difference between (Michael Kidd-) Gilchrist, (Andre) Drummond or (Harrison) Barnes.

“A lot of teams will be looking to trade down because the difference from two through eight is minuscule.’’

After finishing with the worst winning percentage in NBA history, the 7-59 Bobcats will have the most chances in the May 30 draft lottery. But that still gives them only a 25 percent chance at the top pick. They are guaranteed a top-four pick in the June 28 draft.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: David Falk says 2012 is a one-player Draft

Is there anyone else out there with some reservation about Davis?

I'm not saying I don't love him as a prospect, or that I wouldn't take him first, but he seems to be getting put in the Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman level of prospect, which I don't 100% see. It's a little bit a few different things. Because he came up so late in height he doesn't really have a feel for post play yet, but at the same time I don't see him as the ball handler passer type of big prospect that someone like Webber or DC were. And I know he's young, and he's a freak in terms of length and bounce and running at his height, but he obviously lacks strength, and it's not like he has a huge frame to build on, I'd say all the bigs above were better from a physical standpoint coming in.

I know the guys I mentioned didn't all pan out the way everyone hoped, but strictly in terms of prospects, those were the best I can recall ever seeing.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Is there anyone else out there with some reservation about Davis?

I'm not saying I don't love him as a prospect, or that I wouldn't take him first, but he seems to be getting put in the Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman level of prospect, which I don't 100% see. It's a little bit a few different things. Because he came up so late in height he doesn't really have a feel for post play yet, but at the same time I don't see him as the ball handler passer type of big prospect that someone like Webber or DC were. And I know he's young, and he's a freak in terms of length and bounce and running at his height, but he obviously lacks strength, and it's not like he has a huge frame to build on, I'd say all the bigs above were better from a physical standpoint coming in.

I know the guys I mentioned didn't all pan out the way everyone hoped, but strictly in terms of prospects, those were the best I can recall ever seeing.

I agree 100 percent. I am confused as to why he is getting this kind of praise.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So this I'm sure is grounds for crucification from some people.

He's going to be an elite floor runner for a big, and I don't have any doubt he'll be a shot blocking weakside defensive presence, maybe even DPOY kind of guy. He's shown some good mid range stroke. Is it really impossible to project him as a super Javale McGee, without the psych issues. And again, that's not a knock. I could see him having a Marcus Camby career, and again, that's a guy who went at the top of a draft and has had an excellent career.

I in no way feel like he's going to be a failure, and there's sure plenty of upside for him. But he's being put in this elite prospect category that I don't 100% agree with.

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not nearly as high on Davis as some. I have a hard time labeling him as a "sure thing" or "can't miss" like some people. I do think he is a very good prospect worthy of the #1 pick this year. I see his ceiling as KG-lite. Prime and peak KG was a 22-24 ppg, 13-14 rpg, 5-6 apg, 1.5 bpg, and 1.5 spg player. I've seen enough of Davis to think he can be a stat sheet stuffer, but not on that level. I don't even know if Garnett is the best comparison but it's all I've got right now. Davis isn't as tall as McGee and, despite his considerable length, I don't think he's as long either. And while Davis is a good athlete, from what I've seen of McGee he seems to be a more explosive leaper. Of course I think Davis will be better in the NBA than McGee, but I don't really see that comparison in terms of playing style. Now, production wise, maybe. I mean I do think Davis will average 2+ bpg during his prime and I can see him winning a DPOY award or two, but "m not sure he'll ever average 22-24+ ppg which guys like Hakeem, KG, Ewing, and Webber did in their prime.

At the end of the day, I can still see him peaking as a 20-12-3.5 apg-2.5 bpg which would be a phenomenal career with multiple all-star appearances and flirting with the HOF if he has some playoff success as the #1 or #2 option.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

ukfan22 has decent reputation

Obviously I'm biased, but you really have to watch him play a lot to really appreciate why he's getting those comparisons. Obviously he gives you the highlight blocks and dunks, but it's the little things that make him a truly elite prospect.

The first is his ball control, which is phenomenal for someone of his size and length. He has almost no awkwardness in his game, he plays EXACTLY like you would expect a guy who was a guard all his life and suddenly grew 8 inches would play. This is the kind of thing that doesn't show up in the stat sheet, you see it when he chases down a rebound in the corner or catches a bad pass. He does this regularly, I've never seen anything like it from someone so young and big.

Next is his instincts. I'm not kidding when I say I struggle to remember one time this season when he made a bad decision. Even a guy like MKG, who I also watched every second he played, would often make mistakes or have mental lapses. There was virtually none of that from Davis, his composure and awareness in all situations is amazing. He THINKS the game at such a high level, and that combined with his physical gifts are very rare.

As the season went on, he was asked to take on a larger offensive responsibility, and he delivered. He looks completely natural in everything he does on that end as well, from shooting to putting it on the floor. He DOES have a wide variety of post moves, and finishes easily with both hands on layups and jump hooks. Cal even had him talking all technical free throws the last few months of the season, over guys like Miller and Lamb. This game I think is a good representation of what his potential is offensively. Focus on the ease with which he pulls off these moves, and how that will translate going forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYW5WuZt7Qo

IMO, the only thing not NBA ready about him right now is his strength, which will be addressed in his first couple years in the league. He'll get pushed around a little bit, no doubt. But his length and instincts will make up for a lot of it.

Again, I know I am biased. I will say I felt almost the opposite about Wall when he was here. Obviously he was extremely talented, but he rarely dominated games and made many mistakes. I never saw him as a Wade or Rose type, and said so at the time. I am much more confident about Davis, I would be shocked if he's not the best 4 in the League for at least half a decade. I think he's an Ibaka/Aldridge hybrid.
ukfan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

davis is good has shown he a jump shot but really kinda lacks offensive presence he is still quite raw.. defensively he just needs to get more muscle .. which isnt impossible.

not to sold either as being "IT" compared to guys like KD, Rose, lebron and d12... the praise that he is getting is still not the same as blake griffin had but for sure is not the sure thing that other people seem to think of...
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22
Obviously I'm biased, but you really have to watch him play a lot to really appreciate why he's getting those comparisons. Obviously he gives you the highlight blocks and dunks, but it's the little things that make him a truly elite prospect.

The first is his ball control, which is phenomenal for someone of his size and length. He has almost no awkwardness in his game, he plays EXACTLY like you would expect a guy who was a guard all his life and suddenly grew 8 inches would play. This is the kind of thing that doesn't show up in the stat sheet, you see it when he chases down a rebound in the corner or catches a bad pass. He does this regularly, I've never seen anything like it from someone so young and big.

Next is his instincts. I'm not kidding when I say I struggle to remember one time this season when he made a bad decision. Even a guy like MKG, who I also watched every second he played, would often make mistakes or have mental lapses. There was virtually none of that from Davis, his composure and awareness in all situations is amazing. He THINKS the game at such a high level, and that combined with his physical gifts are very rare.

As the season went on, he was asked to take on a larger offensive responsibility, and he delivered. He looks completely natural in everything he does on that end as well, from shooting to putting it on the floor. He DOES have a wide variety of post moves, and finishes easily with both hands on layups and jump hooks. Cal even had him talking all technical free throws the last few months of the season, over guys like Miller and Lamb. This game I think is a good representation of what his potential is offensively. Focus on the ease with which he pulls off these moves, and how that will translate going forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYW5WuZt7Qo

IMO, the only thing not NBA ready about him right now is his strength, which will be addressed in his first couple years in the league. He'll get pushed around a little bit, no doubt. But his length and instincts will make up for a lot of it.

Again, I know I am biased. I will say I felt almost the opposite about Wall when he was here. Obviously he was extremely talented, but he rarely dominated games and made many mistakes. I never saw him as a Wade or Rose type, and said so at the time. I am much more confident about Davis, I would be shocked if he's not the best 4 in the League for at least half a decade. I think he's an Ibaka/Aldridge hybrid.

A lot of this is fair, particularly about the movement skills. One of the things I liked most about him this season was his ability to adjust to make catches. You can tell that his ability to move is elite.
But one of my issues with him is that ball skills I expected him to have based on the "was playing PG just a few years ago" narrative aren't really there. He's a good ball handler for his size, but not special. The jumper has some foundation, but it's not special. My thinking was a guy like Webber but less physical, and that's not really what I saw. He may be better than I expected physically and not so skill set wise.

I can very much see the Ibaka/Aldridge hybrid comp. Ibaka defensively and out in the open floor. Aldridge with the sort of mid post game based on quickness and length and getting up and being able to shoot over people. And I have no qualm with that guy going first in this draft or most others. Frankly you admit being somewhat biased, but based on some of the other things I've read I'd say you have a very realistic evaluation of the guy. But other places he's getting a label that makes me think they're expecting someone who really warps a defense, and that I don't entirely see.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
A lot of this is fair, particularly about the movement skills. One of the things I liked most about him this season was his ability to adjust to make catches. You can tell that his ability to move is elite.
But one of my issues with him is that ball skills I expected him to have based on the "was playing PG just a few years ago" narrative aren't really there. He's a good ball handler for his size, but not special. The jumper has some foundation, but it's not special. My thinking was a guy like Webber but less physical, and that's not really what I saw. He may be better than I expected physically and not so skill set wise.

I can very much see the Ibaka/Aldridge hybrid comp. Ibaka defensively and out in the open floor. Aldridge with the sort of mid post game based on quickness and length and getting up and being able to shoot over people. And I have no qualm with that guy going first in this draft or most others. Frankly you admit being somewhat biased, but based on some of the other things I've read I'd say you have a very realistic evaluation of the guy. But other places he's getting a label that makes me think they're expecting someone who really warps a defense, and that I don't entirely see.

He was almost never put in a situation where he had to dribble for an extended period of time, like an iso from the perimeter or bringing the ball up or something, so I don't know where you would get that. Whenever we did get an extended look at his handles, they looked good to me. And I strongly disagree about his jumper, the form is excellent and he looks very natural. Again, Cal had him taking all the technical free throws. I think his skill set is excellent for 19, higher than someone like KG at a comparable age. And it will only get better.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfan22
He was almost never put in a situation where he had to dribble for an extended period of time, like an iso from the perimeter or bringing the ball up or something, so I don't know where you would get that. Whenever we did get an extended look at his handles, they looked good to me. And I strongly disagree about his jumper, the form is excellent and he looks very natural. Again, Cal had him taking all the technical free throws. I think his skill set is excellent for 19, higher than someone like KG at a comparable age. And it will only get better.

Again, this is sort of my point, stuff like we never really got a look at his handle, and these are the things that make me question this rarified air he's being placed in as a prospect. Again, I'd still totally take him number one, but saying stuff like this is a one player draft, and I've read even more aggressive tauts than that, are what bothers me. I think there are fair questions about him. My fear is that there will be more expected of him out of the gate than is fair more than anything else.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like the Ibaka/Aldrige hybrid comparison, I think it's somewhat fair to make.

I do think he's being overhyped as a generational player - to me, he's not a LeBron, O'Neal, or Duncan type of prospect, but he's still the clear number one pick.

The thing is, his severe lack of strength and girth concerns me a lot. It'll eventually fill out, no doubt, but for the time being, it's going to hurt him a lot. First off, for obvious reasons, it's going to lend to stronger guys being able to push him around and post him up.

Secondly, it's going to hurt his own post game if he can't back anyone up. Of course, I haven't seen as much of Davis as someone like UKfan but off the top of my head, I remember how against Kansas, Davis was having an incredibly frustrating time being able to get it in the hoop in the post against the tall and strong front court of Robinson and Withey.

I also think that considering he was a guard, his jumper and handles are nothing special. For a big guy prospect and for a guy his size, it's a fair deal above average. But those aspects of his skillsets are really being overhyped in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Davis is the best player in the draft and is a franchise player. I just personally think he's being a bit overhyped and am just looking to point out his flaws and I admittedly didn't really talk about his positives.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
I like the Ibaka/Aldrige hybrid comparison, I think it's somewhat fair to make.

I do think he's being overhyped as a generational player - to me, he's not a LeBron, O'Neal, or Duncan type of prospect, but he's still the clear number one pick.

The thing is, his severe lack of strength and girth concerns me a lot. It'll eventually fill out, no doubt, but for the time being, it's going to hurt him a lot. First off, for obvious reasons, it's going to lend to stronger guys being able to push him around and post him up.

Secondly, it's going to hurt his own post game if he can't back anyone up. Of course, I haven't seen as much of Davis as someone like UKfan but off the top of my head, I remember how against Kansas, Davis was having an incredibly frustrating time being able to get it in the hoop in the post against the tall and strong front court of Robinson and Withey.

I also think that considering he was a guard, his jumper and handles are nothing special. For a big guy prospect and for a guy his size, it's a fair deal above average. But those aspects of his skillsets are really being overhyped in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Davis is the best player in the draft and is a franchise player. I just personally think he's being a bit overhyped and am just looking to point out his flaws and I admittedly didn't really talk about his positives.

The Kansas game was one game, and I'm just going to say it: Withey fouled him, a lot. That might sound like I'm making excuses, but I genuinely felt that way as I was watching the game, and I still do. If you watch the game, he displays several post moves that I think bode well for the future, as he adds weight. And the game before, against Gorgui Dieng, another excellent shot blocker, he was excellent, putting in 18, 14 and 6 on 7-8 shooting (and they weren't all dunks at all).

I also don't think he's on the Lebron/Shaq level, but I think he's comparable to Durant and Rose coming out.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not in the mood to get all detailed about it, but I just want to get on record that I think Anthony Davis is a franchise maker and has Hakeem comparables.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: