Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,173
hawkfan has not been impressing people
Default hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

The Jazz need a real point guard who can pass the ball, since Harris is really a shooting guard off the bench.

Jazz sign Steve Nash to a 3 years, $27 million contract.

Nash provides the passing and ballhandling that the Jazz's young bigs need to get them the ball in the right spot at the right time. Nash, even at his age, is a massive upgrade over Harris.

The Jazz can then look to trade out Harris to another team (New Orleans maybe).
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller
 
Bricklayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 335
Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Totally agree Nash could step in and work wonders with this Jazz team. We don't have many creators, other than maybe Hayward, but he's still a work in progress. But we've got a lot of strong finishers that would flourish playing with Nash. And Nash instantly becomes our best 3-point shooter, which we desperately need.

The only question is whether it's the direction both the Jazz and Nash want to go. If the Jazz GM's claims are true that the team is "not rebuilding," then he should happily go after Nash and see if we can make a strong playoff run next year. If we ARE rebuilding, getting Nash doesn't make sense and we should go after a young PG like Dragic or trade into the draft and get Marshall. Either way, Nash will only go to a team he feels will be competitive. If you look at all the teams in the playoffs this year, the only viable ones where he'd be an upgrade are: Lakers, Memphis, Denver, Utah, Miami, Orlando, Indiana, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and New York. All the rest already have stud pg's not going anywhere (and I'm assuming Dallas will stick with Kidd or go after D-Will). If Nash wants an easy ride to the Finals, he'll go with the Lakers or Miami. A tougher but totally doable run to the Finals could be done if he signs with Memphis, Indiana and maybe even New York if they mesh well. Denver, Atlanta, Philly and Utah would be significantly improved, but still a piece or two away from contending while Orlando is still a mess.

Long story short, unless Nash REALLY wants to live in Utah, I'd put our team as 7th or 8th likeliest to land his services.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
anthonyRandolph
Crescent City
 
anthonyRandolph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The REAL LA
Posts: 550
anthonyRandolph has decent reputationanthonyRandolph has decent reputation
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
The Jazz need a real point guard who can pass the ball, since Harris is really a shooting guard off the bench.

Jazz sign Steve Nash to a 3 years, $27 million contract.

Nash provides the passing and ballhandling that the Jazz's young bigs need to get them the ball in the right spot at the right time. Nash, even at his age, is a massive upgrade over Harris.

The Jazz can then look to trade out Harris to another team (New Orleans maybe).

You're going to stop trying to send other teams trash to new orleans.
anthonyRandolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,395
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

If the Championship is his #1 goal he's going to Miami or the Lakers assuming he still wants a starting spot guaranteed. A few other teams are possible if he doesn't mind coming off the bench or at least having to fight the incumbent for the starting job.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,411
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
The Jazz need a real point guard who can pass the ball, since Harris is really a shooting guard off the bench.

Jazz sign Steve Nash to a 3 years, $27 million contract.

Nash provides the passing and ballhandling that the Jazz's young bigs need to get them the ball in the right spot at the right time. Nash, even at his age, is a massive upgrade over Harris.

The Jazz can then look to trade out Harris to another team (New Orleans maybe).

Who's not a massive upgrade over Harris? Would be great to see Nash run the Jazz offense. They would have to clear some cap space to sign him to that deal or do a sign and trade. Think it's unlikely they get him though he should probably be their top target although maybe Dragic because of his age. If they did get Nash maybe Ray Allen would come too? That's the other hole they need to fill. Allen, Redd or Kevin Martin.

Quote:
If we ARE rebuilding, getting Nash doesn't make sense and we should go after a young PG like Dragic or trade into the draft and get Marshall.

They might have a pick still and regardless they need to start developing a young pg.

Quote:
(and I'm assuming Dallas will stick with Kidd or go after D-Will).

Not sure they'd stick with Kidd at this stage and they could have Kidd and Nash anyway.

Quote:
If Nash wants an easy ride to the Finals, he'll go with the Lakers or Miami. A tougher but totally doable run to the Finals could be done if he signs with Memphis, Indiana and maybe even New York if they mesh well. Denver, Atlanta, Philly and Utah would be significantly improved, but still a piece or two away from contending while Orlando is still a mess.

Long story short, unless Nash REALLY wants to live in Utah, I'd put our team as 7th or 8th likeliest to land his services.

He says he wants a 3 year deal which at his age cuts down the number of teams that would be in the running. He wants money which limits the teams even more. The Jazz offensive system other than the one he is already in with Phoenix is arguably the greatest fit for him. His kids are in Phoenix so if he did leave Utah isn't far away. Seems possible but I'd still be surprised. Jazz become a top team instantly if he does.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,411
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyRandolph

You're going to stop trying to send other teams trash to new orleans.

New Orleans might want this trash in a rebuilding situation because his contract expires in a year.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
anthonyRandolph
Crescent City
 
anthonyRandolph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The REAL LA
Posts: 550
anthonyRandolph has decent reputationanthonyRandolph has decent reputation
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
New Orleans might want this trash in a rebuilding situation because his contract expires in a year.
They already have 21 mil in cap room coming up this year, and I wouldn't take Harris over Vasquez or Jack. More than likely drafting a Guard this year too, to pair with Gordon so there would just be a major log jam. Maybe Harris and a 2nd rounder for Ariza then come to terms for a buy out. I think the Hornets will be competing for a play off spot next year. 2 lotto picks and all that cap. Getting his contract this year would be pointless as sht, now that I look at it, he'd hinder our ability to sign FA's with available cap.
anthonyRandolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Ancient Legend
Possessed by B-Ball
 
Ancient Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,391
Ancient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected posterAncient Legend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Nash will not go a team like the Jazz that won't win a ring anytime soon, if anythign he would go to a top contender, or stays in PHX.
Ancient Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Nash has already made it clear publicly that he won't sign for less money than he's making now.

You're proposing $7 million a year less than his current deal.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,411
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Nash has already made it clear publicly that he won't sign for less money than he's making now.

You're proposing $7 million a year less than his current deal.

If he sticks to that he's retiring. Can't see him getting more money on a 3 year deal than he makes now at his age. Jazz should easily be able to clear more money out with all of their expiring conracts if they choose to.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,173
hawkfan has not been impressing people
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

I forgot about Goran Dragic.
That actually should be the guy the Jazz should focus on.
Young, developing point guard who would fit in well in Salt Lake City with that roster.
Realistically this is a good choice for Utah.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,411
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyRandolph
They already have 21 mil in cap room coming up this year

Well if they don't spend it this year they might take on a contract. Just because you have money doesn't mean you will get the players you want to spend it on unless you take the NY route and just spend because you can.

Quote:
I wouldn't take Harris over Vasquez or Jack. More than likely drafting a Guard this year too, to pair with Gordon so there would just be a major log jam. Maybe Harris and a 2nd rounder for Ariza then come to terms for a buy out. I think the Hornets will be competing for a play off spot next year. 2 lotto picks and all that cap. Getting his contract this year would be pointless as sht, now that I look at it, he'd hinder our ability to sign FA's with available cap.

Jack plays both guard positions. I guess your playoff hopes are hinging on Gordon actually staying healthy for a change? Ariza isn't efficient enough for the Jazz.

Quote:
I forgot about Goran Dragic.
That actually should be the guy the Jazz should focus on.
Young, developing point guard who would fit in well in Salt Lake City with that roster.
Realistically this is a good choice for Utah.

Sign and trade. Get Martin too! Jefferson/Harris/Bell/Watson to the Rockets.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
If he sticks to that he's retiring. Can't see him getting more money on a 3 year deal than he makes now at his age. Jazz should easily be able to clear more money out with all of their expiring conracts if they choose to.

He'll settle on a two year deal, or a three with team option, in Phoenix. It's been the plan all along.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
anthonyRandolph
Crescent City
 
anthonyRandolph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The REAL LA
Posts: 550
anthonyRandolph has decent reputationanthonyRandolph has decent reputation
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Well if they don't spend it this year they might take on a contract. Just because you have money doesn't mean you will get the players you want to spend it on unless you take the NY route and just spend because you can.



Jack plays both guard positions. I guess your playoff hopes are hinging on Gordon actually staying healthy for a change? Ariza isn't efficient enough for the Jazz.



Hornets owner is ready and willing to spend, he's not a cheap ass, ALSO but Harris is efficient enough for the Hornets? I think a big part of our play off hopes are if Gordon remains healthy, but depending on who we draft with our 2 picks maybe not. Monty Williams is an amazing coach so I never rule out anything. This team lost the most games this season by decided by 2 possessions or less.
anthonyRandolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,411
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: hawkfan FA Scenario (where amazing happens): Jazz and Steve Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
He'll settle on a two year deal, or a three with team option, in Phoenix. It's been the plan all along.

So is he going to sign with Phoenix if someone else offers him a guaranteed 3 years?

Quote:
Hornets owner is ready and willing to spend, he's not a cheap ass

Dolan isn't a cheap ass. Just because you have money and are willing to spend it doesn't mean you should do so as we've seen time and time again the Knicks being the best example of many. Indiana OTOH was very smart not to just sign someone because they had cap space. They saved some ended up with Barbosa at the trade deadline for nothing and will have money again this summer to try to find a player they actually want not just one that wants their money. Harris could be that for the Hornets if they don't get the players they want.

Quote:
Harris is efficient enough for the Hornets?

Possibly? He's got some skills. He just isn't a good fit running Utah's multi-dimensional offense. That doesn't mean he wouldn't fit nicely next to a ball dominate sg(assuming he's healthy) and whatever else they throw out there with him. Again it's possibly a temporary thing just because they have cap space.

Quote:
I think a big part of our play off hopes are if Gordon remains healthy, but depending on who we draft with our 2 picks maybe not.

Sounds like Davis is the only guy that's going to make someone a playoff team right away.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy