Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Grantland: Oden on Oden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Come on you guys, the drinking was 3 years ago. Quit acting like he said he's a raging alcoholic right now.

Well maybe I shouldve read the article then.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

nice article. seems like he is not always 100% committed to rehabbing that knee and kind of drifts away while doing so. even if it is no fault but his own, you cant help but feel sorry for that kid who just doesnt deserve that kind of heart break and tragedy he went through losing his friend and cousin and while trying to come back from several injuries.

i hope he gets to PHX somehow. i hear they can rejuvenate basketball careers
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One of my favorite Grantland articles. Sad life for the guy, but I respect him for admitting all these things. But I worry he'll kill himself in a few years. Already having alcohol issues in his past, seems like he somewhat has self-loathing issues considering he hates interviews.He can say he doesn't want to do them because he's introverted but I dont believe it. You can tell he doesn't mind doing interviews look at stuff around the draft, and even while he was playing during his second season. Then compare it to somebody like Rose who's very shy and introverted. (in my opinion anyways) It just seems like if he can't get himself together and play again, or at least be happy with himself, he might be at risk for a suicide attempt.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
b1imtf
raep tiem

b1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I'm assuming he's healthy. Probably 6'8 Reggie Evans .
That's too big of an assumption
b1imtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's very sad the way things turned out. Oden isn't an alcoholics either. A alcoholic never admit that they are an alcoholic.

Oden would have been one of the best players in franchise history had he been healthy. Just watching his summer league games I could not believe it. The way he moved on the court. He was practically doing dunks off two feet from a half step inside the free throw line.

He's such a talented rebounder and shot blocker that if he could ever play 82 games straight he'd be a true DPOY candidate. I really hope he comes back. NBA fans deserve to see this guy play.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Oden is done playing in the NBA, but he has millions so he can go do something else. If he's feeling sorry for himself, he should go talk to one of the growing number of homeless people all around the country.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
theaussieguy
Good High School Starter

theaussieguy has decent reputationtheaussieguy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
It's very sad the way things turned out. Oden isn't an alcoholics either. A alcoholic never admit that they are an alcoholic.

Oden would have been one of the best players in franchise history had he been healthy. Just watching his summer league games I could not believe it. The way he moved on the court. He was practically doing dunks off two feet from a half step inside the free throw line.

He's such a talented rebounder and shot blocker that if he could ever play 82 games straight he'd be a true DPOY candidate. I really hope he comes back. NBA fans deserve to see this guy play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcXWZuTWDM

if any team actually signs this guy for anything other than minimum

hes a write off.
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
So then this is the probably reason for the Blazers finally cutting ties with Oden.

Hope he turns it around. The first step is to acknowledge that he has a problem. Then getting help.

Read the article. It was three years ago and he says he quit drinking.

NBA teams don't release guys that can help them on the court because they have personal problems. If they did, a third of the league would be released. He got released because they can't afford to wait on him any longer.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Maybe the dumbest thing ever posted on ISH.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Read the article. It's about WAY more than him drinking. Portland comes out looking pretty awful.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
A alcoholic never admit that they are an alcoholic.

You realize that's literally the first step in the progression towards rehabilitation, right?

I don't think anybody presumes he's still some sort of lush, but admitting this sort of thing, while the verdict is still out on his ability to have a positive impact on an NBA team, sort of raises even more red flags.

If you've had a history of problematic behavior, such as substance abuse, that's going to weigh in on a teams overall decision making. Hell, Chris Andersen still has the stigma of his drug expulsion attached to him. It's a pretty dreadful tagline to have, and I'm sure that occurs to GMs.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Maybe the dumbest thing ever posted on ISH.

Seeing as my grandfather was an alcoholic before he died and I have extensive experience living with alcoholics I think I know more about it than you do. I pretty much talk about this subject with my grandmother at least once a week. Through the many books she has read and the meetings she has gone to to understand this disease I have this understanding.

I have talked to many real alcoholics that could not eve say the words. I've told them, "just say the words and you're not an alcoholic." The response is always, "but I'm not so I won't say it."

It's similar to how crazy people don't know they're crazy. If they did, they wouldn't be. So please, go f*ck yourself.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Seeing as my grandfather was an alcoholic before he died and I have extensive experience living with alcoholics I think I know more about it than you do. I pretty much talk about this subject with my grandmother at least once a week. Through the many books she has read and the meetings she has gone to to understand this disease I have this understanding.

I have talked to many real alcoholics that could not eve say the words. I've told them, "just say the words and you're not an alcoholic." The response is always, "but I'm not so I won't say it."

It's similar to how crazy people don't know they're crazy. If they did, they wouldn't be. So please, go f*ck yourself.

Oh, you're one of "those" guys. Got it.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #29
markymark
Local High School Star

markymark has not been impressing people

LMAO @ the genitalia portion. writer was an ass there
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #30
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
You realize that's literally the first step in the progression towards rehabilitation, right?

Half of the worlds college students will brag about how they are alcoholics. Do you think all those young kids are alcoholics? My cousin tried to commit suicide a month ago, and then again two weeks ago by drinking with pills. Her excuse for her depression is she is an alcoholic. Too many people readily admit that they are and it just isn't true. Alcoholism isn't about alcohol at all. It's about the ISM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: