Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Grantland: Oden on Oden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Half of the worlds college students will brag about how they are alcoholics. Do you think all those young kids are alcoholics? My cousin tried to commit suicide a month ago, and then again two weeks ago by drinking with pills. Her excuse for her depression is she is an alcoholic. Too many people readily admit that they are and it just isn't true. Alcoholism isn't about alcohol at all. It's about the ISM.

It does without saying that college students feigning addiction, in a halfhearted attempt to boast about alcohol consumption, isn't really comparable to a heart-to-heart admission of chemical dependence in a magazine article outlining a players tragedies and hardships.

Also, you don't need to base posts from a pool of your own personal experiences. It's 2012... if everyone on this board hasn't known at least one person struggling with some sort of chemical dependency issue, I'd be floored.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
It does without saying that college students feigning addiction, in a halfhearted attempt to boast about alcohol consumption, isn't really comparable to a heart-to-heart admission of chemical dependence in a magazine article outlining a players tragedies and hardships.

Also, you don't need to base posts from a pool of your own personal experiences. It's 2012... if everyone on this board hasn't known at least one person struggling with some sort of chemical dependency issue, I'd be floored.

Well Oden didn't say he has struggled with alcoholism and he hasn't been diagnosed to my knowledge. So we can only argue over what he said in the article. I wouldn't call this a heart to heart admission of chemical dependence. Oden talked about this 2 years ago. He said he stopped drinking all together to get in better shape. I haven't heard of a alcoholic stopping drinking so they can become a better basketball player.

All I'm saying is that alcoholism is a lot more serious than what I think is going on with Oden. Alcoholics don't just hurt themselves, they hurt their family and friends too.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #33
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Well if you think about it, could be the other way around. I didn't read the whole article cause its too long. But if this has had any effect on his work ethic and as a result an effect on his rehabs from injury, a team might think just getting this guy sobered up will reverse that. This could mean to teams that his body is better then his injuries indicate because he hasn't put 100% into recovering.

3 microfracture surgeries sounds scary for any team. I don't know if it is possible to come back from something like that. If he does come back he would need to be SIGNIFICANTLY lighter.
IGOTGAME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #34
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
My cousin tried to commit suicide a month ago, and then again two weeks ago by drinking with pills. Her excuse for her depression is she is an alcoholic. Too many people readily admit that they are and it just isn't true. Alcoholism isn't about alcohol at all. It's about the ISM.

Well she's just dumb.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #35
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is old news. There was an article talking about Oden's troubles with alcohol two or three years ago.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #36
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Seeing as my grandfather was an alcoholic before he died and I have extensive experience living with alcoholics I think I know more about it than you do. I pretty much talk about this subject with my grandmother at least once a week.

I've told them, "just say the words and you're not an alcoholic." The response is always, "but I'm not so I won't say it."

The first words said by EVERY alcoholic at EVERY AA meeting EVER held:

"Hi, my name is __________. I'm an alcoholic."

Though that would contradict your vast experience and the extensive research with your grandmother, so not sure what to make of it.

As to the bolded: do you really think an addict admitting their addiction means they're no longer an addict???

You may feel like you understand addiction. If that helps you deal with your own personal experiences, that's great. But it's foolish to assume that your personal, anecdotal experience culled from what...25 years?...makes you more qualified to speak about it than anyone else.

Last edited by JMT : 05-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected poster

Wow, great job with that draft pick Blazers.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
Wow, great job with that draft pick Blazers.

The thing is if they took Durant first, Seattle would have taken Oden second.
If you were picking second, and Durant went first, you would have taken Oden. If you suggest otherwise you are lying.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

not only is he injury prone and mentally weak but he can't even take care of himself physically and is emotionally dependant on alchohol. Brilliant pick Pritchard. Pritchslap! Blazers future dynasty

Last edited by Nick Young : 05-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #40
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Greg Oden was never an alcoholic. For one season he partied after games and drank due to undealt with grief. If you read the article, the next season he didn't do that.
There are many NBA players today that are drinking and partying after every game.

This article to me is more about that he was pressured to play earlier when he wasn't ready. Portland really stuffed this one up, backed up by the independant doctor report saying his knee was no where near ready to play.

Anywho he is taking next season off, and I think he will come back in 2013/14 as a pretty good player for someone. Miami would be crazy to not throw a little coin at him and rehabilitate him for an entire season.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #41
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
not only is he injury prone and mentally weak but he can't even take care of himself physically and is emotionally dependant on alchohol. Brilliant pick Pritchard

No he isn't, read the article.
Why type that garbage about someone? Pathetic.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
It's very sad the way things turned out. Oden isn't an alcoholics either. A alcoholic never admit that they are an alcoholic.

Oden would have been one of the best players in franchise history had he been healthy. Just watching his summer league games I could not believe it. The way he moved on the court. He was practically doing dunks off two feet from a half step inside the free throw line.

He's such a talented rebounder and shot blocker that if he could ever play 82 games straight he'd be a true DPOY candidate. I really hope he comes back. NBA fans deserve to see this guy play.
wow the legend of Oden grows, just like 20 ppg 45% Brandon Roy was a championship caliber first option and the most clutch player in history

what if what if what if

The history of the failblazer franchise
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Seeing as my grandfather was an alcoholic before he died and I have extensive experience living with alcoholics I think I know more about it than you do. I pretty much talk about this subject with my grandmother at least once a week. Through the many books she has read and the meetings she has gone to to understand this disease I have this understanding.

I have talked to many real alcoholics that could not eve say the words. I've told them, "just say the words and you're not an alcoholic." The response is always, "but I'm not so I won't say it."

It's similar to how crazy people don't know they're crazy. If they did, they wouldn't be. So please, go f*ck yourself.
Wow you talk to your grandma and read books. I actually was an alchoholic and went to rehab when I was 15, where I was hanging out all the time with many alchoholics and addicts and went to mandatory AA twice a week.

All of my personal experience goes against the bullshit you are spewing.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Always got the impression that basketball was just something he was forced into due to his height. He was pegged early in life. After reading this, I'm pretty impressed that he wants to resume his NBA career. Figured he would move on.

Would have been interesting to see how OKC would have handled all this, had they taken Oden instead.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Wow you talk to your grandma and read books. I actually was an alchoholic and went to rehab when I was 15, where I was hanging out all the time with many alchoholics and addicts and went to mandatory AA twice a week.

All of my personal experience goes against the bullshit you are spewing.

Good, now that you have the alcohol sorted out I would go to a therapist to get your low self worth and insecurities sorted out, as it is evident in your posts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: