Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Re: Grantland: Oden on Oden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Always got the impression that basketball was just something he was forced into due to his height. He was pegged early in life. After reading this, I'm pretty impressed that he wants to resume his NBA career. Figured he would move on.

Would have been interesting to see how OKC would have handled all this, had they taken Oden instead.
Oden absolutely loves playing basketball. It's all the stuff that comes with it that he hates.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #47
Nick Young
Prophet of the Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Good, now that you have the alcohol sorted out I would go to a therapist to get your low self worth and insecurities sorted out, as it is evident in your posts.
just love rubbing shit in to the fans of one of my most hated enemy teams
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
Bernie Nips
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Oden is done playing in the NBA, but he has millions so he can go do something else. If he's feeling sorry for himself, he should go talk to one of the growing number of homeless people all around the country.

Why do people post without reading the article?

It literally says this:

Quote:
Just don't think for a second that Greg feels sorry for himself.

Anyway, it's good to see he hasn't given up. I especially love this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Oden
"I could've signed with a team after Portland cut me and just sat on the bench and collected paychecks, but that's not my style. That just seems really unethical. Besides, money doesn't matter to me. I've got enough money. All I want is to get 100 percent healthy and get back on the court."

He wants to get himself right without any pressures before making his comeback.

It is a pretty damning article on Portland... maybe it really is true that they have an awful medical team.
Bernie Nips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #49
EvanW
Decent playground baller

I don't feel bad for Oden. He still has his millions. The year he takes off will be spent rehabing at Ohio State with world class sports physicians. And he still has a huge d*ck. Dude has a good life.

But I don't think enough blame goes towards the Blazers. It really does seem like they have a fairly incompetent medical staff, and that they did NOT do what was best for Greg's health and development.
EvanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
maybeshewill13
**** u Perkins u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Wow you talk to your grandma and read books. I actually was an alchoholic and went to rehab when I was 15, where I was hanging out all the time with many alchoholics and addicts and went to mandatory AA twice a week.

All of my personal experience goes against the bullshit you are spewing.
This explains a lot.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #51
Tonius
Kids at the park dunk on me

@ The sob stories about alcohol and referring to it as a disease.
Tonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #52
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Wow you talk to your grandma and read books. I actually was an alchoholic and went to rehab when I was 15, where I was hanging out all the time with many alchoholics and addicts and went to mandatory AA twice a week.

All of my personal experience goes against the bullshit you are spewing.

So I shouldn't listen to a person who has read over 40 books on the subject and was married to one for 50 years? Yeah, I should listen to a kid who had a drinking problem at 15.

Just because you drink a lot of alcohol doesn't mean you are an alcoholic. Alcoholics that won't admit they're alcoholics is more a principle. It is very difficult to get them to admit it. Which is why you see people at AA meeting admitting it. Someone bad has to happen, something serious to get them to come out and have to face the problem.

The lie they tell themselves is, "I could quit if I wanted to." If you ask a person if they are an alcoholic and they haven't reached a stage where they are ready to face the problem they will not admit it.

It's very complex, but if they could admit it than it wouldn't be a problem. The reason it gets so bad is because they really don't believe it is a problem. Until they have to face it, when they usually hit rock bottom.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #53
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonius
@ The sob stories about alcohol and referring to it as a disease.

According to the American Medical Association it is. You don't think it is so I guess we should all listen to you.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #54
trig
Decent college freshman

go to rehab then sign with phoenix
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #55
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Oden definitely needs to go to the Suns. Given that he's probably very aware of the importance of medical teams for his own health, I think he'll probably choose a place with a higher medical reputation even if it means sacrificing some money.
brantonli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #56
Nick Young
Prophet of the Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
So I shouldn't listen to a person who has read over 40 books on the subject and was married to one for 50 years? Yeah, I should listen to a kid who had a drinking problem at 15.

Just because you drink a lot of alcohol doesn't mean you are an alcoholic. Alcoholics that won't admit they're alcoholics is more a principle. It is very difficult to get them to admit it. Which is why you see people at AA meeting admitting it. Someone bad has to happen, something serious to get them to come out and have to face the problem.

The lie they tell themselves is, "I could quit if I wanted to." If you ask a person if they are an alcoholic and they haven't reached a stage where they are ready to face the problem they will not admit it.

It's very complex, but if they could admit it than it wouldn't be a problem. The reason it gets so bad is because they really don't believe it is a problem. Until they have to face it, when they usually hit rock bottom.
you don't have a clue what you're talking about sport, nor does granny
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: