Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here
Exclamation Hard and irrefutable stats. Lakers big 3 Cast for the season and playoffs:

Last edited by Mr. Jabbar : 05-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Hard and irrefutable stats. Lakers big 3 Cast for the season and playoffs:

I mean cmon, these guys are supossedly getting most of the open looks...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Hard and irrefutable stats. Lakers big 3 Cast for the season and playoffs:

Godt Barnes
Steve Godlake
Devin Ebgod
Ragod Sessions
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Coffee Black
I hit open layups

Coffee Black has an OK reputation so far

Dude take a math lesson. You can look at each individuals percentages. That's fine. But you can't just average percentages like that to get the team average.
Coffee Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Black
Dude take a math lesson. You can look at each individuals percentages. That's fine. But you can't just average percentages like that to get the team average.

I just did.

and given the evidence,what u say is irrelevant for my point.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Quickening
Local High School Star

Quickening has decent reputationQuickening has decent reputation

Pretty much Kobe percentage for the year....
Quickening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickening
Pretty much Kobe percentage for the year....

only kobe gets to shoot 10x times more contested shots, and is rarely wide open, also he attempts way more fg's, and one could easily assume these scrubs percntages would drop to something like 5% should they be on kobes situation.

what you did is a horrid simplistic analysis.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Lakers are just an awful shooting team outside of kobe, thats the whole point. If we dont have Bynum clicking on the inside, the teams offensive arsenal is so limited its disturbing. You can also drop Browns lack of offensive plays into the mix and what you got is a recipe for disaster (disaster being a 2nd round exit given the Lakers pure TALENT on 3 out of 10 positions in the rotation)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Celtic_Pride
Local High School Star

Celtic_Pride has decent reputationCeltic_Pride has decent reputation

Lakers big 3 are earning a combined 65m for the next year which is over the salary cap. So they are supposed to fill out the roster by signing others for a combined 3 or 5 million!

Unless some good role players are willing to take paycut, Lakers have no other choice than to fill out the roster with scrubs
Celtic_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_Pride
Lakers big 3 are earning a combined 65m for the next year which is over the salary cap. So they are supposed to fill out the roster by signing others for a combined 3 or 5 million!

Unless some good role players are willing to take paycut, Lakers have no other choice than to fill out the roster with scrubs

I agree. Only I think there are scrubs that can drain open jumpers out there.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

What in God's earth are you talking about? What he did was fine. He's not talking about team averages...
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Coffee Black
I hit open layups

Coffee Black has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
I just did.

and given the evidence,what u say is irrelevant for my point.

Well you just enabled me to teach you a lesson on the internet.

FG%=sum(FGM)/sum(FGA)

so, TeamFG%=sum(teamFGM)/sum(teamFGA).

sum(teamFGM)=FGM by Blake + FGM by Barnes + FGM by Metta + ...

sum(teamFGA)=FGA by Blake + FGA by Barnes + FGA by Metta + ...

so, TeamFG%=(FGM by Blake + FGM by Barnes + FGM by Metta + ...)/(FGA by Blake + FGA by Barnes + FGA by Metta ...)

The above is the formula that you must use. The significance here lies in that the overall percentage is skewed toward the percentage of the player who takes more shots. So averaging percentages in a sense is taking the weighted averages. Thus, in actuality the overall percentage that you have found would more reflect Metta's shooting percentage than Ebanks's because Metta has many more attempts. What you have done is assume that all players take the same amount of shots.

Do you get it now?

Last edited by Coffee Black : 05-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Coffee Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
AMISTILLILL
Banned

AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here

Sign Andre Miller in the off season, as I'm sure Sessions will get a big contract thrown at him by somebody. Miller doesn't want to be a backup, even at this point in his career. It gets LA a little older (again) at the PG spot but it also gives them the defense (something Sessions lacks) and offensive productivity they need.

Amnesty Steve Blake. Seems stupid to blow their amnesty on $8 million, but they need to come up with the cash somehow. Sign Antawn Jamison in the off season... dude can play multiple possessions and is a starting quality scorer. Sort of allergic to defense, but whatever.

Bring back Farmar and sign him for peanuts as a backup PG.

Try and trade McRoberts for a shooter. Lakers could be relevant again with two or three relatively small alterations like this.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Quote:
Well you just enabled me to teach you a lesson on the internet.

FG%=sum(FGM)/sum(FGA)

so, TeamFG%=sum(teamFGM)/sum(teamFGA).

sum(teamFGM)=FGM by Blake + FGM by Barnes + FGM by Metta + ...

sum(teamFGA)=FGA by Blake + FGA by Barnes + FGA by Metta + ...

so, TeamFG%=(FGM by Blake + FGM by Barnes + FGM by Metta + ...)/((FGA by Blake + FGA by Barnes + FGA by Metta ...)

The above is the formula that you must use. The significance here lies in that the overall percentage is skewed toward the percentage of the player who takes more shots. So averaging percentages in a sense is taking the weighted averages. Thus, in actuality the overall percentage that you have found would more reflect Metta's shooting percentage than Ebanks's because Metta has many more attempts. What you have done is assume that all players take the same amount of shots.

Do you get it now?

dude, if one of those players would be shooting WAY more than the others and have a way different % then it would be missleading, but its not the case here. So it just took me less time and gets a representative % of the situation.

thanks for the math lesson but I'll pass. I keep it simple and watch alot of bball, I recommend it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Celtic_Pride
Local High School Star

Celtic_Pride has decent reputationCeltic_Pride has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
I agree. Only I think there are scrubs that can drain open jumpers out there.

Of course there are. Jason Kapono, Troy Murphy are scrubs that can drain open Js..
Celtic_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: