Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default PBS Documentary on NFL Concussions

Check it out..

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gue-of-denial/
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PBS Documentary on NFL Concussions

I watched this entire thing last night...

It really sucks that this sport is so damaging to the brain, and after watching this special I am now sure that I will not allow my son to play football, even at a pee-wee league level. (which sucks because my son is really big and tall for his age) Apparently the younger you are the more damaging it is because the brain is lighter in the skull at that age and bounces around more inside the skull, coupled with the fact that at that age the brain is still growing and advancing.

The people doing this research basically think that playing tackle football before age 14 is should be outlawed...even the hits that aren't concussions cause damage, the human brain is NOT designed to be rattled like this.

Playing football should be seen like smoking cigarettes...the players/parents should be given a good WARNING "EVIDENCE SHOWS PLAYING THIS SPORT CAN LEAD TO BRAIN DAMAGE"...and if they decide to still play after that warning then that is fine, it's their choice.

The other thing is that boxing is 100x worse than this...boxing is worse than MMA, hockey, football, everything combined...each jab is like a rattling the brain just like a tackle and they get hit hundreds of times throughout a fight. Boxers should know going into that sport that they are turning their brains into mush.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm going to try my best to check this thing out; but from the few news clips I've heard hyping this thing its crazy the lengths the league went to try to ignore the science relating to damage caused by football.

I still remember the day I learned just how serious concussions were. Five years back a high-school running back (Jaquan Walker) from my hometown collapsed on the sideline after getting his 2nd concussion within the same week and died later on that night because of second impact syndrome. Most tragic sports-related thing I've ever seen.
2LeTTeRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I watched this entire thing last night...

It really sucks that this sport is so damaging to the brain, and after watching this special I am now sure that I will not allow my son to play football, even at a pee-wee league level. (which sucks because my son is really big and tall for his age) Apparently the younger you are the more damaging it is because the brain is lighter in the skull at that age and bounces around more inside the skull, coupled with the fact that at that age the brain is still growing and advancing.

The people doing this research basically think that playing tackle football before age 14 is should be outlawed...even the hits that aren't concussions cause damage, the human brain is NOT designed to be rattled like this.

Playing football should be seen like smoking cigarettes...the players/parents should be given a good WARNING "EVIDENCE SHOWS PLAYING THIS SPORT CAN LEAD TO BRAIN DAMAGE"...and if they decide to still play after that warning then that is fine, it's their choice.

The other thing is that boxing is 100x worse than this...boxing is worse than MMA, hockey, football, everything combined...each jab is like a rattling the brain just like a tackle and they get hit hundreds of times throughout a fight. Boxers should know going into that sport that they are turning their brains into mush.
On the radio on the way home Eric Byrnes (former baseball player) said his parents had spoken to Ronnie Lott and his family about letting Byrnes play football as a kid, even they said not to let it happen until high school.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Watching this documentary made me sad.. I love the NFL, but I know it is dangerous..There probably is no way to change the game to eliminate these issues but at the same time still have football as we know it

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

How does everyone see the issue in terms of it being the decline of the NFL? It's something I've heard a lot, that the brain issue will cause less people to play and in turn cause less people to watch. I have a hard time believing that especially considering more and more money is involved with the NFL year to year.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
How does everyone see the issue in terms of it being the decline of the NFL? It's something I've heard a lot, that the brain issue will cause less people to play and in turn cause less people to watch. I have a hard time believing that especially considering more and more money is involved with the NFL year to year.
In the next 5-10 years we are going to witness a huge decline in football on the Jr. High and High School levels...there are lots of mothers out there that are just having their eyes opened to this who will not allow their sons to play... This is happening to my own son.

This thing is much bigger than the NFL. A lot of colleges who have football programs are refusing to do research on this.

I think football will become more and more driven by minorities as more and more middle class families refuse to let their kids play and poor families see it as a way out.

The NFL should be fine in the short term though... We are all still huge fans regardless of the fact that we wont let our own kids play it...and they will never have issues finding players to put in jerseys...the money is too good...its the schools that will suffer over this at first.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

Dunno why this surprises some ppl. Some of these hits you see on TV make you wonder how these guys can get up right after and just shake it off
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
I brick open layups

3243 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Watching this documentary made me sad.. I love the NFL, but I know it is dangerous..There probably is no way to change the game to eliminate these issues but at the same time still have football as we know it

That's the dilemma. On the one hand, this documentary and related information about head injuries will only feed Roger Punkell's efforts to turn the NFL into a flag-football league, and who wants to watch that? On the other, I don't want to see the players develop dementia by their 50th birthdays either. I wish there were ways to better protect the players (like with better equipment and better enforcement of rules to prevent concussed players from going back into games) without taking all of the hard hitting out of the sport.
3243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243
That's the dilemma. On the one hand, this documentary and related information about head injuries will only feed Roger Punkell's efforts to turn the NFL into a flag-football league, and who wants to watch that? On the other, I don't want to see the players develop dementia by their 50th birthdays either. I wish there were ways to better protect the players (like with better equipment and better enforcement of rules to prevent concussed players from going back into games) without taking all of the hard hitting out of the sport.
moving forward, as long as the players are giving fair warning...like cigarette smokers are...we shouldn't feel TOO badly

they should know what is at stake, and if they choose to play after that...well that's on them

I have a feeling that most of today's players have an understanding of what is at stake here...the players of 20+ years ago maybe not, those guys should get something...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: