Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Amare plans to work on developing low post game

Quote:
As the Knicks enter the offseason, Woodson said he wants Stoudemire to become more of a low-post threat. It’s a desire that will require Stoudemire to adapt his game and learn post-up skills he hasn’t often shown in his career.

“This summer he’ll be used to develop more low-post moves,” Woodson said. “Because the game is played inside-out, I think. [Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler] are 7-foot guys that have great athletic ability, great bodies on them and I think you’ve got to utilize them more down low.

“It might be asking Amar’e to do something a little bit different than he’s been accustomed to doing in his career, but it’s not too late.”

Stoudemire is coming off a disappointing season in which his scoring dropped to 17.5 ppg, plummeting almost eight points from last year. The 6-foot-11, 260-pounder operates in the low post infrequently and hasn’t exhibited many moves.

Quote:
“It’s actually great because I’ve never had a coach that asked me to work on my low-post game,” Stoudemire said. “I’ve been a pick-and-roll player my whole career. Being able to shoot the ball from the outside and also have quick first steps and being able to move off the dribble is an advantage for me. And now to apply some low-post moves will even be that much better.”

To learn them, Stoudemire said he will likely work with a tutor. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly Stoudemire can develop post moves, how many he can ultimately command and how effective they’ll be by next season. It could be a work in progress.

Stoudemire insisted his back feels fine, said he doesn’t need surgery and swore he’s not even slightly worried about it.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...content=Knicks

Thank You Jesus.

Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Amare plans to work on developing low post game

You don't need low post moves to watch Melo shoot jumpers.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter

If he's willing to assert himself on the low block and command the ball, I dont see these guys doing so much "Melo watching" next season. He'll take his jumpers every game but it will be nice to see how Amare does.

To me its great to hear that Amare plans to be in place to actually get some sort of high % basket around the rim. Hopefully he consults Hakeem. I've always thought Amare could be a really effective offensive player if he added some post moves down low. Just something to go to when we need a basket or foul.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:

BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's a shame he spent so much of his career playing under D'Antoni. Never learned to post up. Never learned how to play defense. Although he did develop a decent mid range jump shot, but a big man should not be shooting from range as much as he does.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
If he's willing to assert himself on the low block and command the ball, I dont see these guys doing so much "Melo watching" next season. He'll take his jumpers every game but it will be nice to see how Amare does.

To me its great to hear that Amare plans to be in place to actually get some sort of high % basket around the rim. Hopefully he consults Hakeem. I've always thought Amare could be a really effective offensive player if he added some post moves down low. Just something to go to when we need a basket or foul.
First of all, before everyone's panties get all twisted up, let me say I'd love to see Amar'e develop some stuff down low, with his back to the basket. Spend the summer with Hakeem, whatever. He's got the touch for it.

But when has he ever been a low percentage scorer? Even this year, in the just about the worst of his career, he was at 48%.

The guy who needs efficiency lessons is #7. The Knicks are never going to contend with Melo needing 30 shots to score 30 points.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
First of all, before everyone's panties get all twisted up, let me say I'd love to see Amar'e develop some stuff down low, with his back to the basket. Spend the summer with Hakeem, whatever. He's got the touch for it.

But when has he ever been a low percentage scorer? Even this year, in the just about the worst of his career, he was at 48%.
I never said he was. My point is that there is nothing but good that can come from him being around the basket instead of settling for jumpshots. He's too strong, athletic, & just overall good to not be able to get the basket or at least draw a foul.

I'm hoping to see him get close to 55% as he was in Phoenix when he had a little more hops but was being used off the Pick & Roll. If Amare can get back to around that % along with getting back to the Free Throw line more(this season he only went to the FT line 5 times per game), we can really see him flourish.

The 48% he shot this season was bound to continue to dip if he continued to play further from the rim. Remember, for 1/2 of the season we had a Pick & Roll offense for him to get baskets. Next season, under Woodson, its going to be much different and he'll need to assert himself down low.

Quote:
The guy who needs efficiency lessons is #7. The Knicks are never going to contend with Melo needing 30 shots to score 30 points.

What happens when you make 1/2 of them?

Yes, Melo averaged 30 shots per game over the last 2 games against Miami but he also shot 50% from the Field to go along with it.

Of course I dont want to see that every game where Melo has to take every shot when we're in the halfcourt. But I do want to see other players like Amare wanting the ball and wanting to make an impact on offense and not standing around watching him.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

He never has to shoot every shot. That's just what he likes to do, and what Woodson likes to see.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
He never has to shoot every shot. That's just what he likes to do, and what Woodson likes to see.

At certain points in the Playoffs & the final month he had to shoot a lot of those shots. When you're going back and forth with a team in a close game you have to find a player you can rely on to make a basket at least 1/2 of the time. Melo has been that guy for us.

The end result is guys standing around expecting the ball to go to that player and watching him instead of trying to get themselves open.

Trust me, I didn't like a lot of Woodson's offensive "gameplans" but I'll hold my judgement on that when he gets a full season as the Head Coach following an offseason to implement a new system.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This should have happened a long time ago. I blame him partially because he didnt put the work in but I also blame that prick D'Antoni. He kept amare on the perimeter his entire career.

Wherever he goes, take Tyson Chandler with him! Tyson Chandler is inept on offense outside of taking two steps and dunking the ball on pick and rolls. If teams did their homework better, they would just draw charges on him all day.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Clutch
NBA Legend

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
This should have happened a long time ago. I blame him partially because he didnt put the work in but I also blame that prick D'Antoni. He kept amare on the perimeter his entire career.

Wherever he goes, take Tyson Chandler with him! Tyson Chandler is inept on offense outside of taking two steps and dunking the ball on pick and rolls. If teams did their homework better, they would just draw charges on him all day.
I agree. Tyson should also develop some sort of post game. He's extremely long so it's very hard to block him.
I just want him to be able to take advantage if he's been guarded by a 6'8 guy or something like that.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't see Amare working on anything this summer just like he didn't last year.

He doesn't have the basic fundamentals to develop a post game.

I can't remember ever seeing Amare work with his back to the basket.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Nickel06
Kids at the park dunk on me

Nickel06 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
At certain points in the Playoffs & the final month he had to shoot a lot of those shots. When you're going back and forth with a team in a close game you have to find a player you can rely on to make a basket at least 1/2 of the time. Melo has been that guy for us.

The end result is guys standing around expecting the ball to go to that player and watching him instead of trying to get themselves open.

Trust me, I didn't like a lot of Woodson's offensive "gameplans" but I'll hold my judgement on that when he gets a full season as the Head Coach following an offseason to implement a new system.

No offense, but I think we saw enough of his "gameplans" in Atlanta. They didnt call it IsoJoe for nothing. He may be able to coach defense, but hes basically the opposite of D'Antoni, good coach at one end, knows positively NOTHING about the other end. Now if we could just combine the two, wed have a coaching genius....sigh...
Nickel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel06
No offense, but I think we saw enough of his "gameplans" in Atlanta. They didnt call it IsoJoe for nothing. He may be able to coach defense, but hes basically the opposite of D'Antoni, good coach at one end, knows positively NOTHING about the other end. Now if we could just combine the two, wed have a coaching genius....sigh...
How come we didn't see all those iso's when Lin was playing under Woodson?
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
How come we didn't see all those iso's when Lin was playing under Woodson?
That's when Woodson admitted to still basically running D'antoni's sets. And that stretch, right after D'antoni's exit and before Amar'e's injury, was actually the best the Knicks have looked all season. But over the course of his stint, he steadily reverted more and more to his iso offense (Melo was probably griping) until it was all we ran from when Amar'e went down through the largely uncompetitive first round.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: