Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Upgrayedd
Local High School Star

Default Amnesty Boozer, sign Hinrich and O.J. Mayo

Taj is ready to start and is going to be way better than Boozer. I say amnesty Boozer, sign Hinrich to come in and start for Rose while Rose gets healthy and sign O.J. Mayo and have him start and Rip Hamilton come off the bench. The only area they'd need to focus on would be finding a backup power forward.

But...

Noah/Asik
Taj/?
Deng/Brewer/Korver
Mayo/Rip
Rose/Hinrich/Watson
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
MaCC2MuCh
dont blink or i get by

Default Re: Amnesty Boozer, sign Hinrich and O.J. Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
Taj is ready to start and is going to be way better than Boozer. I say amnesty Boozer, sign Hinrich to come in and start for Rose while Rose gets healthy and sign O.J. Mayo and have him start and Rip Hamilton come off the bench. The only area they'd need to focus on would be finding a backup power forward.

But...

Noah/Asik
Taj/?
Deng/Brewer/Korver
Mayo/Rip
Rose/Hinrich/Watson

i see another fan wanting to get rid of boozer......i understand the frustration and yes, mayo would be an upgrade at SG. However ..there would be a gaping hole at start PG next season since rose will be out until at least january...so whos gonna start at PG? with watsons struggles against bigger,athletic pgs like JRUE HOLIDAY he wouldnt be a wise choice for next season.......gonna have to to probably change a lot this offseason......korver,watson,brewer, possibly rip can be used in a trade scenario........Gonna be alot of options this offseason.........
MaCC2MuCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Upgrayedd
Local High School Star

That's why I said sign Hinrich and Mayo. Hinrich can start at point guard until Rose gets back. Just keep one of Watson or Lucas to backup Hinrich at the beginning of the season. Also, there are some good decent powerforwards available this offseason that could be signed to backup Taj.
Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
MaCC2MuCh
dont blink or i get by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd
That's why I said sign Hinrich and Mayo. Hinrich can start at point guard until Rose gets back. Just keep one of Watson or Lucas to backup Hinrich at the beginning of the season. Also, there are some good decent powerforwards available this offseason that could be signed to backup Taj.

no doubt.......hinrich wouldnt mind coming bacc to chicago so that would be a good pickup....well c how it goes
MaCC2MuCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
dee-rose
Words and stuff.

Has it even been 24 hours since Boozer saved us from playoff elimination?
dee-rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Before anyone else says we need to amnesty Boozer, PLEASE read the new CBA again. If we Amnesty Boozer, we punish ourselves! We are still obligated to pay his contract, AND IT IS STILL COUNTED against our CAP. If another team picks him up, we STILL have to pay the difference.

So in the best case scenario, we only free up 3-4 million in cap space. We will still be in the luxury threshold, so we will not be able to do anything, but work with the Mid-level exception. Or in simpler terms, we will be at the same venture in this offseason whether we amnesty Boozer or not!
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
pegasus
€uroInU$A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Before anyone else says we need to amnesty Boozer, PLEASE read the new CBA again. If we Amnesty Boozer, we punish ourselves! We are still obligated to pay his contract, AND IT IS STILL COUNTED against our CAP. If another team picks him up, we STILL have to pay the difference.

So in the best case scenario, we only free up 3-4 million in cap space. We will still be in the luxury threshold, so we will not be able to do anything, but work with the Mid-level exception. Or in simpler terms, we will be at the same venture in this offseason whether we amnesty Boozer or not!
Are you sure about that? If so, why the hell did the Magic amnesty Arenas' contract?
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus
Are you sure about that? If so, why the hell did the Magic amnesty Arenas' contract?

I bet it was a lot of reasons. 1) To get him out of the locker room. 2) If someone picked him up, then they wouldn't have to pay the ENTIRE salary. 3) Logjam at the positions. And 4) Because they would be at the same point regardless in FA.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Rose
Hero in a half shell

It doesn't count against the cap OR the tax.

Otherwise Billups doesn't get amnestied for Tyson Chandler.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
It doesn't count against the cap OR the tax.

Otherwise Billups doesn't get amnestied for Tyson Chandler.

Yes it does.

Chandler went to NY in a sign and trade.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Rose
Hero in a half shell

Quote:

Yes it does.

Chandler went to NY in a sign and trade.

No it doesn't.

67. What is the Amnesty provision?

Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 63) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

Amnesty can be used prior to the 2011-12 through 2015-16 seasons, although teams may use the provision only once in total -- not once per season. For the 2011-12 season the Amnesty provision was available from December 9-16, 2011. For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 101).

Players waived using this provision are not counted in team salary (see question number 14) or luxury tax (see question number 21) computations, except for the following:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

AND

But Chandler, a 7-foot-1 center, could arrive as soon as Saturday, once all the dominoes fall that have to precede his official acquisition: using the amnesty clause to release Chauncey Billups and trading Ronny Turiaf. Both moves need to occur to create the salary-cap space the Knicks need to sign Chandler, who played for Dallas last season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/sp...-chandler.html

So I was semi wrong about Tyson signing there.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:

No it doesn't.

67. What is the Amnesty provision?

Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 63) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations. For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime. Players who were waived prior to July 1, 2011 and are still receiving guaranteed salary are also eligible. Teams cannot amnesty players they sign, receive in trade, extend, renegotiate, or otherwise amend after July 1, 2011.

Amnesty can be used prior to the 2011-12 through 2015-16 seasons, although teams may use the provision only once in total -- not once per season. For the 2011-12 season the Amnesty provision was available from December 9-16, 2011. For the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons it is available for the first seven days that follow the July moratorium (see question number 101).

Players waived using this provision are not counted in team salary (see question number 14) or luxury tax (see question number 21) computations, except for the following:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

AND

But Chandler, a 7-foot-1 center, could arrive as soon as Saturday, once all the dominoes fall that have to precede his official acquisition: using the amnesty clause to release Chauncey Billups and trading Ronny Turiaf. Both moves need to occur to create the salary-cap space the Knicks need to sign Chandler, who played for Dallas last season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/sp...-chandler.html

So I was semi wrong about Tyson signing there.

You boldfaced the wrong part, so I correctly boldfaced and changed the correct part to red for your enjoyment. Boozer was signed on July 8th 2010, amended on December 8th 2011. The team can waive him, but not full out amnesty him.

Last edited by Crystallas : 05-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Rose
Hero in a half shell

I KNOW I'm right and I KNOW i highlighted the right part.

Tyson was signed and then traded so he could get more money, and it was the ONLY way for New York to get him the money he wanted. So to do so....

Billups was AMNESTIED to free up 12 million. THEN Turiaf was traded to clear up the rest of the space needed.

And now I'm done.

Show me his contract being amended.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Quote:
I KNOW I'm right and I KNOW i highlighted the right part.

Tyson was signed and then traded so he could get more money, and it was the ONLY way for New York to get him the money he wanted. So to do so....

Billups was AMNESTIED to free up 12 million. THEN Turiaf was traded to clear up the rest of the space needed.

And now I'm done.

Show me his contract being amended.

Under the CBA contracts could be amended to support a buyback for cap affected monies to free up space. In order to sign Rip and bring Omer back, the team needed to amend Boozers contract. This wasn't majorly newsworthy, so I admit, I am having a hard time finding it. But I KNOW I'M RIGHT, and pointed out the RIGHT part of the CBA. You can find it laid out throughout the CBA on both non-basketball and basketball injuries(insured), and the other loophole of amending team and league promotional obligations, which off the top of my head, I believe is in section 7.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Rose
Hero in a half shell

Quote:
Under the CBA contracts could be amended to support a buyback for cap affected monies to free up space. In order to sign Rip and bring Omer back, the team needed to amend Boozers contract. This wasn't majorly newsworthy, so I admit, I am having a hard time finding it. But I KNOW I'M RIGHT, and pointed out the RIGHT part of the CBA. You can find it laid out throughout the CBA on both non-basketball and basketball injuries(insured), and the other loophole of amending team and league promotional obligations, which off the top of my head, I believe is in section 7.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Because I can't find anything anywhere on it either.But also I'm fairly certain Omer was on contract anyways, and either way team has (early) bird rights so they wouldn't have to re-negotiate. And even if not the Gilbert Arenas rule should cover him. So no matter what he'd be ours.

And I'm fairly certain Rip was signed with the MLE. Which once again we were entitled to use, due to being over the cap.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: