Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default What do you think of Jason Maxiell

The Pistons, in public at least, say they want to keep him:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9931
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: What do you think of Jason Maxiell

To me it depends on how the draft ends up. I think Maxiell is a solid backup for a team. The Pistons have used him too much in my opinion. We have a lot of young guys that need PT. Daye has played limited minutes, Jerebko could play more, etc. The other thing we need to keep in consideration is Charlie Villaneuva will be healthy next year too. While he's been a disappointment based on his contract, he's still a better player than Maxiell. If we draft another big like Zeller, Henson, Jones, etc. they will need to play and develop too. So while I like Maxiell, I'm not sure how he fits in this roster. I'd rather see him sign with a contender as a backup. I think he could have more success that way. The only way I see having some space for him is if for some reason we draft another guard.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

^^Totally agree. Love him to bits, but we are in rebuild mode, but he seems like he is now a good veteran, and his work ethic, passion and hustle is contagious, which might be a huge reason to keep him around the young players to set the tone.

I was always a big Amir Johnson fan, and thought his ceiling was much, much higher than Maxiell's. So was a bit of a shame to see Maxiell take all of the minutes we could of been giving to Amir...

But in the end, wouldn't mind keeping him to set the tone for the young kids, and does he not seem to have a highlight put back dunk in every single game??? Best putback dunker ever!
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

I think Amir Johnson has ended up as a better player than Maxiell. I like what he's been able to do in Toronto. He'll definitely never be an all-star but he's pretty solid now.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Yeah perfect first big of the bench type of player, and he is still just a kid, just turned 25 a few days ago... Maxiell is 29
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Dang, I didn't realize Maxiell was that old. I was thinking he was like 26 or 27. He really does need to head to a contender before it's too late for him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: