Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #76
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Round 2: Thunder (2) Vs. Lakers (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
Oh yeah, so you would rather bench that type of player, than a CENTER THAT FOOLS AROUND DURING GAMES? hmm, let me see...pump faking 3's and actually TAKING 3's! Does the name Bynum ring any bell to you? Remember what you said in the Lakers Vs GSW thread defending bynum, and bitchin bout "POTATO HEAD"

Apparently you really didn't read how I handled a very similar situation effectively. Why not go back and READ and maybe you will be able to understand. Potato Head is not qualified to coach any team at any level......maybe pee wee....maybe
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #77
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

I see lots of trade Pau talk in this forum... but it was Bynum who
only scored 10 pts and had 4 boards in game 5...

Isn't he lazier or slower than Pau most of the time?

And he's easier to trade....
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #78
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sax
Bench-5 points

Kobe-42 points-0 assists

Mike Brown's fault, right DK?

Bynum-no class thug.

Metta-to my surprise, a class act. Went right over to Harden, shook his hand.

If you understood the game better you would know how to get easy baskets.......for starters.....HAVE AN OFFENSE......there are tons of effective offenses.....unfortunately Mike Brown doesn't understand any of them.
Did MB ever figure out a lineup or bench rotation.....NO. This seriously hurts bench production......not blaming him 100% but it's his job to figure it out......same failure he had in Cleveland.....hopefully he'll be fired.

Kobe assists???? I couldn't care less....you really want a guy who is hitting over 50% of his shots to pass to guys who are hitting 30% of their shots? If so, I would like to give you $3,000 in exchange for your $5,000....since you think this is an intelligent thing to do.

Assists are overrated, it doesn't show how many passes were made to guys who shot the ball.....it just shows how many they made.
It of course helps your numbers if you are running any intelligent form of offense and not just stand around iso's.
We had the talent to win this series but no where near the level of coaching......and yes, I blame the coach for failing to inspire and motivate.

If we are going to keep Bynum we need to get him with a better coach/mentor in the offseason, Darvin Ham did a fantastic job ....but i'm talking about Hakeem, Vlade, CWebb etc.

Metta is a warrior who knows when it's over you honor your opponent.
This is how basketball is supposed to be played, you fight to the death (figuratively) and win or lose you thank your opponent for a good battle.
This is a part of "Respecting the game".

Ugh......we could've completed the Houston part of the deal and had Scola, Martin and Dragic for Pau
Not sure what we could get now
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #79
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Apparently you really didn't read how I handled a very similar situation effectively. Why not go back and READ and maybe you will be able to understand. Potato Head is not qualified to coach any team at any level......maybe pee wee....maybe
Trust me, I've read it
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #80
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Trust me, I've read it

awww, I guess what DK would say is that "you don't understand what he's saying bec he is a coach and we are NOT" that we just don't get it.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #81
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
awww, I guess what DK would say is that "you don't understand what he's saying bec he is a coach and we are NOT" that we just don't get it.

Do what I did, put the fraud on ignore.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #82
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ

Do what I did, put the fraud on ignore.

We ALL know you are the only fraud on here........what happened to your other screen name.....oh wait didn't you try to start your own forum.......what, did you manage to piss off everyone on there as usual.

It's too bad that you never had as much of a tiny portion of the class of Lakerfreak......a real moderator!!!!!!

Last edited by DKLaker : 05-24-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #83
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Let me explain this in very easy to understand terms for you.......if a guy is supposed to be an All-Star, is making 19 million dollars and is 7 feet tall, you expect him to carry a high portion of the load.........Sessions is not an All-Star, is making 4 million dollars and is what 6' 3"........is Sessions really supposed to help carry this team or are Kobe, Bynum and your girlfriend Pau?

For Pau to fail miserably by his own personal standards is pathetic.......I posted the numbers, you're not dumb enough to argue with that.
pau averaged 17.4 points in the regular season but 12.4 now.....and we are losing games by the margin that he is supposed to account for.....no question.
IMO, you should be scoring about 1 point per million dollars you are being paid......look at our team, who is now the biggest failure at doing this?
We can talk about rebounds, blocks or whatever else.....not even to mention lack of effort. Sure I mentioned him being tired, but he needs to stop being such a b!tch and suck it up and play ball....or ask for a seat on the bench.

As for me, I am still a coach and I 100% guarantee you that if a player doesn't hustle the ENTIRE time they are on the floor they come out of the game, I'd rather have a hungry, aggressive player than a higher talented lazy one. My players understand that and it's one of the reasons we very rarely lose a game. My teams rebound better than any team you have ever seen....or probably will see, I insist upon it.....my guards could teach NBA bigs about rebounding. We are not the best shooting teams but by far the highest scoring.....not through fast breaks but by crashing the boards and playing in your face defense....always attacking the offense.

When we do lose I have no regrets because every player has played hard, smart basketball......they wouldn't be on the floor if they didn't.

Remember, I told you Pau was done before the season started, he doesn't want it anymore....sure you can fire him up for a game here or there....but that's it.....not worth the headache.
Blake.....is he the same guy he was in Portland or even with the clippers.....hell no!!!!

Mike Brown's head coaching is worth about 50k and I'm being very nice.

I said it before and Ill say it again, I am DISGUSTED with Pau's lack of fire/contributions esp vs OKC, Im not like some fanatics who can't see anything wrong with certain players, eventho if that player missed a TON of shots in MOST FOURTH QUARTERS. At the end of the day, those misses count, ask Nick Anderson and his missed FTs or John Starks with his bricks vs Houston etc etc etc.
WHAT YOU DON'T GET IS THAT THIS IS A TEAM SPORT. You make it sound like Kobe never missed those crucial shots and NEVER TURNED IT OVER LATE, THAT IS PLAIN AND SIMPLE SCAPE GOATING.
For the sake of argumment tha Pau is the ONE guy to blame for the Lakers downfall that he is TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE ETC, then why oh why didn't you give him the TOTAL CREDIT when they won TWO rings?
You like dwell on his stats and yes, his FG % and pts were down , you like to preach that you have to see the game when stats don't say it all, well, are you going to ignore that Brown ordered him to be the facilitator ? To lurk in the perimeter and feed Bynum and his teammates, employing a 1 in- 4 out offense as explained by other analysts like ex coach Dave Miller. Pau's role changed =less shots = MORE PTS AND MORE SHOTS for Bynum.
You kept mentioning Pau is so LAZY and yet he managed to AVERAGED 9.5 rebs, MORE than what he collected per game in 08 when they went to the finals and that was WITHOUT Bynum.
Ibaka and Perkins collected an average of SIX REBS EACH.
Bosh averaged 7 rebs before he got injured.
heck even the great Duncan has LESS rebs/game that Pau.
AGAIN, Im not going to CONDONE his lack of fire and Geez DK, Kobe had horrible 4th quartes in game 2 and game 4 vs OKC. This guy did NOT fulfill his role as the "CLOSER" for the team, Are you the ONLY ONE who refuse to acknowlege this?.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #84
DKLaker

Quote:

I said it before and Ill say it again, I am DISGUSTED with Pau's lack of fire/contributions esp vs OKC, Im not like some fanatics who can't see anything wrong with certain players, eventho if that player missed a TON of shots in MOST FOURTH QUARTERS. At the end of the day, those misses count, ask Nick Anderson and his missed FTs or John Starks with his bricks vs Houston etc etc etc.
WHAT YOU DON'T GET IS THAT THIS IS A TEAM SPORT. You make it sound like Kobe never missed those crucial shots and NEVER TURNED IT OVER LATE, THAT IS PLAIN AND SIMPLE SCAPE GOATING.
For the sake of argumment tha Pau is the ONE guy to blame for the Lakers downfall that he is TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE ETC, then why oh why didn't you give him the TOTAL CREDIT when they won TWO rings?
You like dwell on his stats and yes, his FG % and pts were down , you like to preach that you have to see the game when stats don't say it all, well, are you going to ignore that Brown ordered him to be the facilitator ? To lurk in the perimeter and feed Bynum and his teammates, employing a 1 in- 4 out offense as explained by other analysts like ex coach Dave Miller. Pau's role changed =less shots = MORE PTS AND MORE SHOTS for Bynum.
You kept mentioning Pau is so LAZY and yet he managed to AVERAGED 9.5 rebs, MORE than what he collected per game in 08 when they went to the finals and that was WITHOUT Bynum.
Ibaka and Perkins collected an average of SIX REBS EACH.
Bosh averaged 7 rebs before he got injured.
heck even the great Duncan has LESS rebs/game that Pau.
AGAIN, Im not going to CONDONE his lack of fire and Geez DK, Kobe had horrible 4th quartes in game 2 and game 4 vs OKC. This guy did NOT fulfill his role as the "CLOSER" for the team, Are you the ONLY ONE who refuse to acknowlege this?.

Dude, you are trippin Of course Kobe did some boneheaded things and bad plays.....but even with that he carried his weight......if he got tired because he was trying to make up for Pau's lack of ability it's certainly understandable.......if Kobe averaged 17 ppg in the playoffs I would be on his sh!t......but he exceeded his averages....in fact he is the leading scorer in the NBA for the playoffs. We lost 3 games against OKC where if Pau had just been able to hit his average.....not exceed, we wouldn't need the shots Kobe missed......you have to at least hit your number if you're being paid 19 million.
If you were running a relay and 1 guy drops the baton, then stops to tie his shoe and you lose by 1 second.....it is clearly his fault....period!!!!
It doesn't even matter if 1 other guy ran 2 seconds slower than normal.
For some reason you don't understand individual responsibility.
Now as a coach I never say that it is 1 players fault....but of course I know when it is.........on a forum I don't have to be PC, I can tell it like it is.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #85
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
LOL.. hayaan mo nalang yang potang ina na yan, sana sinali nalang ni Jeff pag ban yan, nun binanned nya ung mga unggoy dati LOL... pero ok naman, kac it's good for entertainment, atsaka, nakakatuwa cya^^ :)

Want me to translate it?

Translation: I LOVE ISH, and ISH is the BEST, cuz you can meet a lot of interesting people :)

$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #86
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

DK, I think the problem Tamaraw and some of the others have with your "I'm a coach" perspective is that too often you wield your experience as a cudgel when you have the ability and opportunity to truly elevate the level of discourse.

Personally, I'd love it if you supplemented your critiques with Coach Nick-style breakdowns. I'm not saying you have to or should--post however you want. But I think we'd all be better for it.

Here's some stuff I've wanted to discuss with you. Even though it seems to set some people off, I'll number it so it's easier to respond to:

1. How often did Brown call plays during the playoffs? I recall reading that he was calling almost every single offensive set at the beginning of the season, then started to ease off on that as things wore on. I attended a few late-season games, and I kept a lookout for Brown's playcalling. I didn't see much of it going on at all, even though Brown runs much less of a read offense than, say, Phil or Sloan did.

2. How do you think a triangle-and-two would have worked against Durant and Westbrook in crunchtime? In theory, it would have enabled the team to shadow them both with an extra defender, but I have my doubts. First, Pau's defensive rotations have been pretty bad the past two postseasons, so he probably wouldn't be able to provide the necessary reinforcement when his turn came up. Second, I don't think it would be as disruptive as it needed to be, especially for Durant, who can simply shoot over the top.

3. How do you feel about zone defenses in general? My dad's instilled in me a love of the 2-1-2. Good coaches attack it by overloading one side of the court, but it really works wonders against the majority of teams who like to initiate their sets from the top of the key. My dad's friend, who's a high school coach, likes to throw little wrinkles in where he'll occasionally send his two guards (sometimes even the center) to "blitz" the initiating ballhandler--he coordinates defensive sets almost like a football coach. It really seems to catch people off guard, and a few such well-timed traps have won him a fair share of games.

I'd love to hear your detailed opinions on this. Muchas gracias if you find the time to respond.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #87
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Dude, you are trippin Of course Kobe did some boneheaded things and bad plays.....but even with that he carried his weight......if he got tired because he was trying to make up for Pau's lack of ability it's certainly understandable.......if Kobe averaged 17 ppg in the playoffs I would be on his sh!t......but he exceeded his averages....in fact he is the leading scorer in the NBA for the playoffs. We lost 3 games against OKC where if Pau had just been able to hit his average.....not exceed, we wouldn't need the shots Kobe missed......you have to at least hit your number if you're being paid 19 million.
If you were running a relay and 1 guy drops the baton, then stops to tie his shoe and you lose by 1 second.....it is clearly his fault....period!!!!
It doesn't even matter if 1 other guy ran 2 seconds slower than normal.
For some reason you don't understand individual responsibility.
Now as a coach I never say that it is 1 players fault....but of course I know when it is.........on a forum I don't have to be PC, I can tell it like it is.

See, you are so fixated in just pts per game alone. Never mind that Kobe's other stats have been down overall.
That he needed 25 shots to get to his usual average as compared to 22.5 shots when they won 2 rings.
First TWO CRUCIAL games in OKC, he averaged 20pts/game. so that's stepping up eh.
first 3 games he shot 39%, 36% and 36% respectively. If not for some ticky tack fouls/home cooking he would have scored less=less FTs in game 3..
his 44% is his lowest in seven years.
His 28% 3pt shooting is his LOWEST in his 14 yr career not counting the first 2 playoffs where he barely played.
rebs/game, 2nd lowest in atleast 12 yrs
assists/game, 2nd lowest in 14 yrs.
Yes yes yes, Pau did NOT deserve his 19 Mil per
but lets ignore Kobe's drop in his stats when he gets paid 25 mil/year
as compared to Lebron's, Wade's, Durants 16 mil per.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 05-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #88
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
LOL.. hayaan mo nalang yang potang ina na yan, sana sinali nalang ni Jeff pag ban yan, nun binanned nya ung mga unggoy dati LOL... pero ok naman, kac it's good for entertainment, atsaka, nakakatuwa cya^^ :)

Want me to translate it?

Translation: I LOVE ISH, and ISH is the BEST, cuz you can meet a lot of interesting people :)

No need to translate, I think most fans here get it.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #89
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
DK, I think the problem Tamaraw and some of the others have with your "I'm a coach" perspective is that too often you wield your experience as a cudgel when you have the ability and opportunity to truly elevate the level of discourse.

Personally, I'd love it if you supplemented your critiques with Coach Nick-style breakdowns. I'm not saying you have to or should--post however you want. But I think we'd all be better for it.

Here's some stuff I've wanted to discuss with you. Even though it seems to set some people off, I'll number it so it's easier to respond to:

1. How often did Brown call plays during the playoffs? I recall reading that he was calling almost every single offensive set at the beginning of the season, then started to ease off on that as things wore on. I attended a few late-season games, and I kept a lookout for Brown's playcalling. I didn't see much of it going on at all, even though Brown runs much less of a read offense than, say, Phil or Sloan did.

2. How do you think a triangle-and-two would have worked against Durant and Westbrook in crunchtime? In theory, it would have enabled the team to shadow them both with an extra defender, but I have my doubts. First, Pau's defensive rotations have been pretty bad the past two postseasons, so he probably wouldn't be able to provide the necessary reinforcement when his turn came up. Second, I don't think it would be as disruptive as it needed to be, especially for Durant, who can simply shoot over the top.

3. How do you feel about zone defenses in general? My dad's instilled in me a love of the 2-1-2. Good coaches attack it by overloading one side of the court, but it really works wonders against the majority of teams who like to initiate their sets from the top of the key. My dad's friend, who's a high school coach, likes to throw little wrinkles in where he'll occasionally send his two guards (sometimes even the center) to "blitz" the initiating ballhandler--he coordinates defensive sets almost like a football coach. It really seems to catch people off guard, and a few such well-timed traps have won him a fair share of games.

I'd love to hear your detailed opinions on this. Muchas gracias if you find the time to respond.

Ya know.....I hear you FF, maybe I shouldn't vent my frustration with the lack of BB fundamentals understanding in specific, coaching issues, but hey.....I just tell it like it is, I've been coaching for jeez....losing track of time in my old age but in the area of 30 years, I have seen, done and coached every situation and circumstance there is compared to the folks on here who are young, never played, never coached. If they say something that even remotely makes sense in theory, even if it conflicts with my thinking, I say so......but if it is ignorant couch potato garbage, I strain myself not to offend them.
There are a few guys on here I would bet actually have some real playing experience or were taught well.

Now, I love coach Nick breakdowns but....ugh, there are very very few on here who understand the least bit of technical info like that. Every season I give it a shot and will point out some fundamental things.....the response I get is "Crickets" Dead silence like talking chinese at a bar in mexico even after I poke and prod for a response there is none......look at the thread about Blake dunking on Pau, I pointed out how Kobe actually was at fault for it and described what Kobe should've been doing......I repeated it and asked if anyone understood this......but i got the typical 0 response. I break down film for my team and others weekly.....there is not that level of understanding on here, I am extremely curious as to other than watching some games, what actual experience people on ish have. I know that there are some great posters like you who have a solid but still developing knowledge of the game.....this is why I try to prod you to be more active on here I may not always agree with your viewpoint but what you say makes sense.
Guys on here do not listen, they think they know it all....I mean come on...should we really have had to deal with the Mike Brown defenders?
Every experienced person I talk to, every single one knows that MB is a joke of a coach and I got guys who played, coached, front office, scouted etc.....all in agreement....most clear cut discussions ever in my life.

Brown's play calling was so remedial that the players refused to run the plays. This was made public with comments by several players including Kobe. He should honestly be an assistant....or head coach of a pee wee team. Brown always eventually reverts back to stand around ISO's.
How this guy managed to con his way into coaching Lebron and now Kobe is amazing....amazingly bad. If the guy understood positioning, cutters, pick & roll we could've won the title with this team.

On the triangle and 2, you are 100% correct, Pau would screw this up completely. I made comments a couple times about Pau's complete and utter lack of understanding of body positioning.....keep your body between you man and the basket, it's frustrating to see him turn sideways on the perimeter when switching to a speedy guard.....this makes it extremely easy for the guard to just blow by him at full speed without having to change direction......I don't understand why they don't teach the guy??? Tri & 2 works better against guard based teams, Durant is a SF......then you also have to account for Harden.
Ok....here's where I will piss off some people....I thought that we should've benched Pau with those late leads because even though his rebounding numbers look good, he is just a tall rebounder not a go get it guy, he solely relies on his height. In the late game situations Pau doesn't want to shoot, is a poor defender with poor rotations and we all know that Kobe is taking the shots....if he misses I want the go get it guy in Hill.
IMO, the best way to stop a great shooter is ball denial....if he can't get the ball he can't score right? This is what the Lakers used Michael Cooper for on Larry Bird, Bird said that Coop was the best defender he ever faced. You stick Durant tight at all times, force the passer to be perfect, do not help off of him, switch hard on all picks......make him work just to get the ball.....if nothing else it will tire him out late in the game and frustrate his mind.

I already like your dad's coach friend. I love to disrupt the PG's. Too many teams sit back and react to what the offense is doing....that is IMO a losing battle.....if they are good, they know what they want to do and you will naturally be a step behind them....now if you force them out of their sets, force their timing off and their positioning off then this creates turnovers. When playing against guard led play running teams, we have destroyed teams by first forcing the ball out of the PG's hands and then using ball denial to keep him from ever getting it back.....this forces someone else to run the play and make the pass....obviously they are not as good at this as the PG and we force turnovers which lead to easy points. To run an attacking defense you have to get your athletes in top condition and be willing to freely involve your bench to keep tired players from screwing things up. One HUGE thing that is lacking in basketball today is knowing how to defend the passing lanes, this is just a matter of positioning, reading the movement and understanding the angles...of course it helps to have intelligent players......In the Blake dunk on Kobe, I mentioned this issue and how Kobe blew it by lagging behind the play and giving up the angle that allowed the pass, even though everyone knows that CP3 is going to always look for Blake cutting......this was an extremely easy play to stop. (And Tam thinks I only defends Kobe ) Not a soul commented on my pointing this out

Oh.....overall a defense, even a zone defense is situational based on your player's capabilities, your opponent's abilities, what they are trying to do and the game situation.

Sorry for the very long one here guys
Always a pleasure FF

Last edited by DKLaker : 05-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #90
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Helluva post, DK. I just wish I hadn't posted my suggestion in a Thunder thread.

Like I said, I'm not ordering you to change anything, but I've always liked it when some of the old, Charley Rosen, Roland Lazenby types (i.e., curmudgeons...just kidding) are arguing a point, then drop in a nugget of basketball wisdom that others can take or leave. I felt posters like kblaze and gts did that a lot when they were here. You do it too, and I think people do appreciate it, but the forum just isn't as active as it used to be, and too often it gets lost by the wayside.

On a message board or in person, it's hard to pick and choose what point to make. It's a problem I hear Hubie Brown and Dr. Jack get a lot while they're on air, because they have a million different things they notice in a play, but they only have a five-second window to speak.

Speaking of Rosen, do you agree with his opinion that the worst pro coaches are superior to the best college coaches? He's pointed out the tried and true ego-managing issue, but more than that, he's said that pro coaches are just better than college coaches: they run vastly more intricate sets, they've got more expansive playbooks, and they're better at making adjustments. Coach Wooden and Coach K are among those he's excoriated, by the way.

I dunno, I think he's overstating his point. I love the way Boeheim's teams run the 2-3 zone. John Beilein's really made the 1-3-1 his own (I'd almost never run this personally, just because I always see the other team grab the offensive board). And Bob Huggin's WVU team with Ebanks was really disruptive with its 1-1-3. And those are just the defensive gurus. Listen to these guys talk about positioning, spacing, floor balance, and pressure and releases, and you'd be hard-pressed to say that they're the ones playing checkers instead of chess.

Besides which, some of the most iconic (and, to varying degrees, still effective) offenses originated in college ball. The Triangle. The Princeton. The Flex (kinda). People talk about about iso-ball being quintessentially NBA, and maybe now it is, but the 4-out concept was being utilized by Wooden decades before Jordan made the "GTFO of my way" a pro staple. Wooden used it to initiate team sets, but the principle of spacing in order to emphasize individual creativity on the perimeter is hardly unique to the NBA.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: