Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 06-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #16
Cosmonaut
I hit open layups

Cosmonaut has an OK reputation so far
Default ..

i am also torn on this trade being a rockets fan, the upsides of the trade are alot, we get younger and alot more athletic, but I think to get that number 4 pick we will have to give up a first rounder next year or give up luther head, but if the rockets and portland are still discussing this offer then something could go down, but usually when deals get leaked to the public they never happen
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #17
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
i am also torn on this trade being a rockets fan, the upsides of the trade are alot, we get younger and alot more athletic, but I think to get that number 4 pick we will have to give up a first rounder next year or give up luther head, but if the rockets and portland are still discussing this offer then something could go down, but usually when deals get leaked to the public they never happen

I wouldn't assume there is anything else to the trade, such as Luther or a future pick. If they had to throw in Luther to make it work, I think that puts me slightly on the other side of the fence again. A pick wouldn't make much difference to me since the Rockets SHOULD be a playoff/border-line contender for the next 4 or 5 years, therefore their picks won't be so hot anyway. Of course, this year shows that anything could happen on that front.

Basically what it comes down to about this trade is taking a chance. It's a big one, but the payoff would be franchise-changing indeed.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:55 AM   #18
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
draftexpress in the last week has now quoted about 60 rumors that involve all 30 teams. It's getting a bit ridiculous
Very ridiculous.

I'm just ready for Wednesday. I'm tired of all the talk. Let's do this thing.

I have no clue who the Rockets are going to take at #8 and certainly have no idea who we take at #32.

I've heard so many damn rumors about who is taking who and who really likes who that I don't even care anymore. I just want to see how the damn thing turns out. Most of these damn trades depend on what other teams do and who they draft.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #19
thedream
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thedream has an OK reputation so far

i really really hope this trade goes down. miles can be that defensive stopper houston desperately needs.
thedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #20
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream
miles can be that defensive stopper houston desperately needs.

Absolutely.

Or he could be a useless headcase and the only thing he'll be defending are the huge piles of money that he steals from our franchise over the next 4 seasons.

Flip a coin
Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #21
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I'm just ready for Wednesday. I'm tired of all the talk. Let's do this thing.

Amen to that.

I haven't been this into a draft EVER. I usually know the top few guys that are going, but this year I could probably pick the entire first round right off the top of my head and it would look legit. I've forgotten more about this draft then I ever knew about all the others combined. I just haven't been able to stay away from draft sites reading profiles, workout articles, interviews, random speculation, etc. On one hand it makes the offseason a lot more interesting, but on the other it's become somewhat of an obsession and I kind of want it to just end already.

The Rockets are having a draft party at Toyota Center with guest appearances, food specials, giveaways, etc. It should be fun to see everyone's reactions when we make our pick, especially if we do something drastic (like the Miles trade) at the last minute. Regardless of what happens (unless we take Redick at 8 ) I think it's going to be one hell of a night. Like you said though, it needs to just hurry up and get here.

5 more days
Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #22
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Alston
T-Mac
Miles
Aldridge
Yao

Nice lineup. Miles will make a great 3rd or preferably 4th option once teams come to terms with the fact that he isn't a star. I could see 14/6/4 on 50% shooting if used probably. As a 3rd/4th option he would probably turn the ball over less.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #23
blinkbizk87
I airball my layups

blinkbizk87 has an OK reputation so far

lol u put aldridge in the lineup, thatll be a steal if he lands to them, as for miles, i say he comes back to the clippers, quits his contract with portland and signs a rookie contract with clippers, and q.richardson will do the same!!!!
blinkbizk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:58 AM   #24
blinkbizk87
I airball my layups

blinkbizk87 has an OK reputation so far

by the way, all houston needs... and i mean allllll and only thing they need is... for mcgrade and yao to be healthy for atleastttt 90% of the season, i mean u have 20/10/ and 2blks in Yao, then u have like 28/7/6 in mcgrady, everything else is a bonus, like rafer just needs like 12pts and 6assists, stromile just needs to play defense, and they should get jon barry back, goood team rite there
blinkbizk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:01 AM   #25
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Raptors - Andrea
Chicago - Tyrus
Bobcats - Morrison/Gay
Blazers - Lamarcus

If the Rockets got the 4th pick there is a good chance they can get Alridge.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #26
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Chicago won't take Thomas. They have Noc and Deng and Tyrus wants to be a SF. Chandler and Tyrus are stick men.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #27
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

Here's what the Rockets are working with at the moment...

PG: Alston | Head
SG:
SF: McGrady | Bowen
PF: Howard | Swift | Hayes
C:: Yao | Mutombo

Here's what I'm thinking...

First of all, assume that the Rockets do the Miles trade (Miles/#4 for Howard/#8). The Hornets have been rumored to want Shelden Williams, but the Hawks have been rumored to have given him a promise at #5. If the Rockets drafted Shelden for the Hornets at #4, they could turn around and give the rights to New Orleans for the #12 and J.R. Smith, who they've been looking to dump. New Orleans would still have #15 so giving up the #12 wouldn't be such a big deal in my mind.

Ok, back to the draft. At least one of the following players is almost certain to be there at #12 and the Rockets would take their pick depending on who they like most...

Brewer
Carney
Redick

Of course they'd still have the #32, as well as the MLE to throw at a free agent. So if they play their cards right, this could be their lineup...

PG: Rafer Alston | Mikes James (MLE) | Luther Head
SG: Tracy McGrady | (whoever is left at #12 out of Brewer, Redick, or Carney)
SF: Darius Miles | J.R. Smith | Ryan Bowen
PF: Stromile Swift | #32 pick? | Chuck Hayes
C:: Yao Ming | Dikembe Mutombo

They also have a 1.6 mil trade exception and a 4.2 mil trade exception. For those that don't know (which included me until recently), TE's can only be used to trade for a player who is already under contract at a similar amount of money as the exception. They cannot be combined with anything. The Rockets GM was on the radio a couple of days ago and said they are a lot easier to use at the trade deadline, and didn't sound like they would have too much success with them during the summer. Still, they could become useful.

So...what do you think? Personally, if that happened and everybody played at least decent, I think the Rockets would be pretty nasty. If the Miles trade is real and it actually goes down, this scenario suddenly becomes quite do-able.

Last edited by ClutchCityReturns : 06-24-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:54 AM   #28
Cosmonaut
I hit open layups

Cosmonaut has an OK reputation so far
Default ..

clutchcityreturns I think who ever gets chosen at 4 will most likely have more upside then jr smith, even at the draft position 8 there are players that will have more upside then jr smith. i think the only thing on jr smiths side is he's nba ready, but anyway the portland trade sounds to good to be true.
but i am with fatty lets do this draft and see what happens cause its so open and anything could happen
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #29
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
clutchcityreturns I think who ever gets chosen at 4 will most likely have more upside then jr smith, even at the draft position 8 there are players that will have more upside then jr smith

This may be true, but remember it would be J.R. Smith + #12. I certainly wouldn't do J.R. Smith straight up for the #4, not even in this relatively pedestrian draft. To me it's probably worth it, unless there's another team that likes a player and we could take him and hold him for ransom instead. The good thing about #4 is there's a ton of crap we could do with it to really help our team. I just hope we don't blow it.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #30
LakerzFan4Life
Decent playground baller

LakerzFan4Life has no real reputation yet.

Bull****
LakerzFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: