Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Owl
Local High School Star

Default Spurs vs Thunder

Assuming these guys meet up in the Conference Finals which to me seems fairly likely and whoever wins probably takes the title.

Anyway I was wondering what people thought would be the key to the matchup.

One thing which I think may be big is whether the Thunder manage to get to the line. One of the main reasons the Thunder are so good is that they have 3 guys who all get to the line quite a lot and are all good at converting from the charity stripe. The Spurs meanwhile (whilst not drawing a lot of fouls) conceced the 2nd least personal fouls in the league.

The playoff so far have (based on rough calculations from some rounded numbers from basketball-reference) been calling signifcantly significantly more fouls in the playoff than in the regular season (don't know if that is historically the case, or whether the presence or absence of certain teams gives a significant bias, or whether there is a large enough sample) which if it happens in the OKC series could give Oklahoma the edge.

Anyway, your thoughts/opinions?
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

Default Re: Spurs vs Thunder

Both teams have matchups they can exploit. I think it'll come down to whoever has the most hot shooting nights.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

I think the Westbrook/Parker match-up and Duncan/Ibaka would be telling.

then you have Manu/Harden off the bench

So if this happens it has so many great match-ups.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
westsideozzie
Decent playground baller

Spurs can outrun the Thunder. Thunder have advantage at PG and SF. Spurs have advantage everywhere else.
westsideozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
rmt
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideozzie
Spurs can outrun the Thunder. Thunder have advantage at PG and SF. Spurs have advantage everywhere else.

The advantage at PG is not big, if any. After all, it was Parker who was 5th in MVP voting, and doesn't he usually get the upper hand with Westbrook when they play each other?

I think that SAS matches up well with OKC whose strengths are on the perimeter where SAS is also deep. OKC doesn't have any post scoring big men who give SA a lot of problems. Coaching and experience favor SA and since scoring is more distributed amongst the Spurs, they can survive one of their big 3 having a bad shooting night more than OKC.
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt
The advantage at PG is not big, if any. After all, it was Parker who was 5th in MVP voting, and doesn't he usually get the upper hand with Westbrook when they play each other?

I think that SAS matches up well with OKC whose strengths are on the perimeter where SAS is also deep. OKC doesn't have any post scoring big men who give SA a lot of problems. Coaching and experience favor SA and since scoring is more distributed amongst the Spurs, they can survive one of their big 3 having a bad shooting night more than OKC.

True it isn't huge but Westbrook has been a top 10 player this season. Their big 3 rarely seem to play badly. They will have the two best players in the series which sometimes can be the difference.

Spurs do match-up well though I agree and they will of course fancy their chances.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
highwhey
el vato encabronado

durant needs to be legendary, otherwise, spurs will take it on the 7th game.

i really wish okc would hurry the hell up and be the team i've expected them to be...you know, the new dynasty. everyone is young on that team so there's no rush, but still, the amount of talent they have should have begun to click now instead of using the "inexperienced/young" scapegoat. don't get me wrong, they play well and are one of the best teams in the league, but they seemingly appear to be "underachieving" in regards to their true potential, although not by a lot.

the series can go ether way, but i know coach pop will have something up his sleeve. the guy will will exploit every single mismatch and we all know how much westbrook loves to chuck..not always a bad thing except for when his shots aren't hitting.

harden will post big #'s, but so will manu. the matchups are definitely interesting because both teams match up very well, it just depends on which team wants it more.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
durant needs to be legendary, otherwise, spurs will take it on the 7th game.

i really wish okc would hurry the hell up and be the team i've expected them to be...you know, the new dynasty. everyone is young on that team so there's no rush, but still, the amount of talent they have should have begun to click now instead of using the "inexperienced/young" scapegoat. don't get me wrong, they play well and are one of the best teams in the league, but they seemingly appear to be "underachieving" in regards to their true potential, although not by a lot.

the series can go ether way, but i know coach pop will have something up his sleeve. the guy will will exploit every single mismatch and we all know how much westbrook loves to chuck..not always a bad thing except for when his shots aren't hitting.

harden will post big #'s, but so will manu. the matchups are definitely interesting because both teams match up very well, it just depends on which team wants it more.
The best is yet to come from the Thunder if they don't win it this year then they likely will next year or the year after. You only have to look at their core and it's scary how young they really are. This might be the Spurs only chance yet with their main core of Duncan, Manu, Parker to get it done. This year is bigger for S.A

I wouldn't say Durant would need to play a legendary series to win...just play like a guy most consider the 2nd best player.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
The best is yet to come from the Thunder if they don't win it this year then they likely will next year or the year after. You only have to look at their core and it's scary how young they really are. This might be the Spurs only chance yet with their main core of Duncan, Manu, Parker to get it done. This year is bigger for S.A

I wouldn't say Durant would need to play a legendary series to win...just play like a guy most consider the 2nd best player.
that's fair to say because SA's window is closing quickly. i wouldn't put it past the OKC wanting it just as bad though, even with their age, i would take advantage of every year they have together as a healthy and talented team because injuries occur out of thin air. imagine if westbrook or durant get injured?

after watching rose go down in chicago, i'd be on a wheelchair anyttime i'm off the court, rest those knees. lol
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: