Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #3331
AllenIverson3
Get off me!

Default Re: 2012-2013 English Premier League Thread (La Liga, Serie A, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
2004/2005 being his breakout season.
So how come he wasn't part of 2006 Brazil world cup squad but instead 36 year old Cafu was selected ahead?

All I'm saying is that lets not try to compare Alves to a legend Cafu... Cafu played great even into his late 30s until he retired...
AllenIverson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #3332
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
They're both good defensively. Dani is relentless and a great slide-tackler.

No way dude.

He's very fast, he's mobile, he's relentless, I can give you all that. But as far as actually stopping anyone the only way he can do that is through fouling. He has zero ability to stop a player any other way and has no defensive intelligence whatsoever.

That is fine on a team like Barcelona, because the one or two times a game Dani Alves is actually needed to play active defense he is there to kick that opponent in the shins. Dani Alves is a total defensive liability on any team that relies on defense even a little bit though.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #3333
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
No way dude.

He's very fast, he's mobile, he's relentless, I can give you all that. But as far as actually stopping anyone the only way he can do that is through fouling. He has zero ability to stop a player any other way and has no defensive intelligence whatsoever.

That is fine on a team like Barcelona, because the one or two times a game Dani Alves is actually needed to play active defense he is there to kick that opponent in the shins. Dani Alves is a total defensive liability on any team that relies on defense even a little bit though.

On Sevilla, he was not a defensive liability. He actually was very solid.

On Barcelona, he's relentless and a great slide-tackler. That's all I said. And that's true.

And Mr. Iverson...I'm Brazilian and I defend, till this very day, Cafu being the starting RB for us thru 2006. But he was not the same player and he was selected because he was Cafu. Cicinho had also been playing the backup role for a while and earned it, even tho Dani Alves was better by then than he was.

Not a single person compared Dani Alves to Cafu. So what you're talking about means nothing.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #3334
Jasi
Quality?

In their primes, Cafu > Maicon > Alves
There's no doubt about this imo
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #3335
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I was going to mention that he's very bipolar at times and he becomes a blackhole at times but other than that he's been great this year for his minutes played. Does he still want to play as a striker? This probably isn't the best news for OX who I think is a bit overhyped.

i think the plan would be something along the lines of where he can play some games as a winger (big games against teams with talented defenses or turtlers) and others up top when he has space to work counters. Like he's said, he has no problem playing on the wings, but he wants a chance to play striker.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3336
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:

On Barcelona, he's relentless and a great slide-tackler. That's all I said. And that's true.

Yes he was. At Sevilla he was a perennial leader in yellow cards, that's not a sign of a player who isn't a defensive liability. It's literally the only thing he can do defensively: foul. That's not what you want to see from your star wingback. Especially not when he is your captain. Especially not when he is instrumental to the teams offensive success.

A guy like that is pretty much done playing defense after receiving a yellow card. Dani Alves can't defend a player clean if his life depended on it. If that isn't a liability defensively I don't know what is.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #3337
TheFastOne
Celtic Pride

Pieters takes the Amare fire extinguisher to another level.

TheFastOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #3338
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFastOne
Pieters takes the Amare fire extinguisher to another level.

Zwolle
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #3339
IInvented
Hip Hop

Quote:

And Mr. Iverson...I'm Brazilian and I defend, till this very day, Cafu being the starting RB for us thru 2006. But he was not the same player and he was selected because he was Cafu. Cicinho had also been playing the backup role for a while and earned it, even tho Dani Alves was better by then than he was.

Not a single person compared Dani Alves to Cafu. So what you're talking about means nothing.
Just because he was a great slide tackler doesn't mean he was a great defender overall. He can stand tackle to save his life. Point blank
IInvented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #3340
IInvented
Hip Hop

Walcott sitting on 100k is a shame
IInvented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #3341
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

Great game.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #3342
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree

Great game.

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #3343
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by IInvented
Just because he was a great slide tackler doesn't mean he was a great defender overall. He can stand tackle to save his life. Point blank

Yeah about that. I see you guys calling someone a great slide tackler, or a bad stand tackler. Just as a heads up: there is really no difference.

A slide tackle is essentially just an extension of the reach of your standing tackle. The required skill remains the exact same though: the deciding factors here are prediction, perception and dexterity.

No such thing as a player being great at slidings but bad at standing tackles. There is absolutely no sense at differentiating between the two and pointing out a player's excellence at one of them. The main difference between the two is purely in it's appearance. A player is either good at tackling or not, it's the exact same skill. Furthermore for the record: Dani Alves is an example of a player who is baaaaad at it.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #3344
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Yes he was. At Sevilla he was a perennial leader in yellow cards, that's not a sign of a player who isn't a defensive liability. It's literally the only thing he can do defensively: foul. That's not what you want to see from your star wingback. Especially not when he is your captain. Especially not when he is instrumental to the teams offensive success.

A guy like that is pretty much done playing defense after receiving a yellow card. Dani Alves can't defend a player clean if his life depended on it. If that isn't a liability defensively I don't know what is.

Not a liability. You can look at yellow cards but that's simply one stat. It doesn't define what he does on defense.

At Sevilla, he'd usually sit back for near the first hour of the game, and would then go hog wild the last 35min. He used to pull strings from well behind the midfield line, until he'd start to cut thru the middle and link everyone up.

Also, as an attacking fullback (specifically, as a Brazilian fullback), his offense was part of his defense. His attacking prowess often kept the other team's wingers and/or fullbacks, CM's, deeper.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #3345
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by IInvented

I never said he was a great defender.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: