Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #226
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Absolute Smartest People on InsideHoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Aww you took me out and replaced me with Iamgine and Nanners

Does that mean I've never made you "aha" or does it mean you consider me full blown intelligent and therefore not a part of that group? I'm pretty sure it is the second one!

Haha I deleted it on accident when I went back to edit that sentence. I'll give you credit, you gave me a few aha moments. Kudos.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #227
Bladers
Banned

Being a computer scientist and engineer. I would say i am "the" absolute smartest person on ISH!
Bladers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #228
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladers
Being a computer scientist and engineer. I would say i am "the" absolute smartest person on ISH!

I find people who proclaim themselves as smart aren't really smart.

The start of intellectual thought which lead to modern Science and is responsible for 99% of our intellectual evolution started with a single statement made by one man:

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing."

It is when you don't think you know anything, is when you start questioning and looking for answers. The educational system teaches you the opposite, hence why we have so many dumb kids in our society today. They make up terms such as "objectivity" to dissuade curiosity and then throw in exercises such as "problem solving and critical thinking" for students to find criticism and suspicion towards answers that do not fit in the criteria that they are indoctrinating the students with. After many years of this exercise, students will only take the words of "objective" authoritative figures (government, police, media, church etc). and simply deny anything out of the realm based on an act of habit and no rational thought.

Curiosity is frowned upon amongst students today; most students think being really smart is in memorizing a bunch of facts and knowing a lot of things, but TRUE EVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE is really in denying what is consider to be "objective" and figuring something better and newer.

If you know a lot of things and consider yourself smart, then basically you are only regurgitating what everybody else already knows and can probably figure out if they don't know with a quick google search, and if you think you already know it all, what incentive would you have to even question the knowledge being passed down to you.

Try figuring out what nobody else knows if you truly want to be smart.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 02-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #229
Bladers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
If you know a lot of things and consider yourself smart, then basically you are only regurgitating what everybody else already knows and can probably figure out if they don't know with a quick google search

You said every thing right until here.
No its not as easy as doing a quick google search.
If it is, why don't you go build a nuclear bomb or go perform brain surgery or engineer a phone or design a innovative software.

Thats what I taught. There are people who devote their entire lives learning and engineering things you take for granted today. These are the real smart people. The nuclear physicists, the neuro surgeons, the computer engineers, and the computer scientists.

Those are just a few, Go study your history. 95% of the technology we have today were developed by "engineers". People who spent their entire life researching.

You don't just wake up one day and make history. Thousands of engineer contributed to the advancement of technology we have today and the standard of living. Whether you look at technology, healthcare, lifestyle, space, etc.

These people devoted their lives to something more than just the norm.
They didn't do a google search. You can't build a plane by doing a google search. You have to devote yourself to it.

That's why the list in the OP is a complete joke.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #230
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
I also like that "aha" moment where a person says something you have never heard before; Myth, Iamgine, MillerTime and Nanners have done it a couple of times, but for the most part, they haven't done it enough for me to consider them full blown intelligent, but the fact they are the few who did it for me gives me a level of respect for them although I might not agree with them and actually think Myth is a douche and Iamgine is a closet homosexual.

lol, should I feel honored or offended?

Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #231
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Just found a way to reenact nzt48.

Gonna outwit done folks to get to top 10 fa sho
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #232
Bladers
Banned

Intelligence is not the definition of an "aha" moment. Its making a mark on society. Being more than just a regular man.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #233
Inactive
Local High School Star

Quote:
Curiosity is frowned upon amongst students today; most students think being really smart is in memorizing a bunch of facts and knowing a lot of things, but TRUE EVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE is really in denying what is consider to be "objective" and figuring something better and newer.
You aren't likely to have any great new insight, if you don't learn, and understand what your predecessors discovered. If you can do that, you are really smart, very few people get that far. If you replace the word "objective" with "common sense", or "conventional wisdom" I'd probably agree with you. Nothing of utility can come from denying the objective.

Quote:
If it is, why don't you go build a nuclear bomb or go perform brain surgery or engineer a phone or design a innovative software.

Thats what I taught. There are people who devote their entire lives learning and engineering things you take for granted today. These are the real smart people. The nuclear physicists, the neuro surgeons, the computer engineers, and the computer scientists.

They didn't do a google search. You can't build a plane by doing a google search. You have to devote yourself to it.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #234
Stempel, HERB
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
Yeah I hardly ever see you on the OT boards....

But you are one of the best/smartest NBA Posters here...always look forward to reading yo BBALL posts....
of course u do cuz ure an idiot.

NEXT

shaqattack pollutes the nba forum with narcissim. he cant help himself from all those flavorless 10 paragraph posts cuz insecure losers like phoenixglove fawn over him. the massive length of his posts create the illusion that he actually knows wtf hes talking about. some guy rambling on for 3 pages bout his personal top 10 rankings in 2008 isnt smart. he likes the traffic from impressionables like alpha. rainierbeachphagg0t ran the same game cept he hit on religion and virtue. heroinattack aint got that platform.
Stempel, HERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #235
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

"DON'T BULLY ME, DANIEL!!"
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #236
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

Those are just a few, Go study your history. 95% of the technology we have today were developed by "engineers". People who spent their entire life researching.

You don't just wake up one day and make history. Thousands of engineer contributed to the advancement of technology we have today and the standard of living. Whether you look at technology, healthcare, lifestyle, space, etc.

That's why the list in the OP is a complete joke.

Let me elaborate my position:

I am merely defining my idea of intelligence in an ISH forum. You're talking about some high level college master's while some of these guys would be lucky to get a GED, so if you have accomplish all that, then more kudos to you.

I am directly attacking guys like KevNYC who recites news articles verbatim as his own type of argument. I don't see anything special about this because a quick google search can find any counter argument to anything said in this discussion forum. I do agree with you that if someone is well versed in a subject, they can intepret it in their own words and add something new (the aha moment) with their own angle. That to me is intelligence: it shows the person as someone who has thought deeply enough and is educated enough to formulate a seminal idea rather than regurgitate (at best) what has already been said or (at worst) simply link to a news article using someone else's word.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #237
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive
You aren't likely to have any great new insight, if you don't learn, and understand what your predecessors discovered. If you can do that, you are really smart, very few people get that far. If you replace the word "objective" with "common sense", or "conventional wisdom" I'd probably agree with you. Nothing of utility can come from denying the objective.

Objectivity has been misused and manipulated to define knowledge as only restricted to certain sectors within the educational system. For example, history in school is being taught as objective, but it is far from that, in fact, I would argue that it is the most subjective topic being taught in the classrooms today since it does not teach from a universal perspective that encompasses all cultures (including that of religion), but a very small segment of American history. Even the media has been coined as "objective" when half of the population already knows it can be full of sh*t sometimes, but the idea has been so ingrained in our minds most people, although they willingly admit what is being presented isn't always true, will, out of habit, accept what is being reported as something not to be questioned. In fact, they have such a disdain for those who question the media, they would attack them with fervor and label them as "conspiracy nuts." It is an act of indoctrination and the root cause is an obssession to the term objectivity.

I agree with you that expounding the findings of predeccessors is essential in the progression of knowledge, but it is the act of denying it is what starts the "curiosity" mode and leads to true learning. If you simply accept everything you learn in school and are being taught not to question but merely to regurgitate it on a test, you are not partaking in the act of true learning set out by Socrates when he utter his famous line, "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." It is in the thought of not knowing is what triggers the act of questioning, but I do agree with you must be well versed in the subject matter before you start questioning.

Even the term "fact" is a deceptive misuse of a term to hamper creativity (which seems to be a goal of the educational system) because the idea a truth is never changing and completely objective is a delusional way of seeing reality: all ideas will change. Newer ideas will come along and replace the old ideas of today. This process will go on forever. So nothing can ever be an axiom or a fact because there are only "temporary" truths.

Education is not the only one guilty of this, Religion does this as well with their all knowing God.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 02-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #238
gigantes
A piece of fluff

all of which reminds me of figan, the erstwhile leader of a tribe of chimps studied by jane goodall in mogombe, tanzania.

figan was a medium-sized male with no particular leadership prospects until one day he came across a discarded oil can. after a little experimentation with his new toy, he quickly discovered that banging it along the ground and adding in his own shrieks greatly bewildered and alarmed the then-leader of the tribe, a large, powerful chimp in his own right.

figan pressed the advantage, made maximum use of his trusty can, and eventually the improbable and miraculous occurred-- the leader backed down and figan became the new alpha male, a position which afforded him prime access to most available wombs in the area. and what a sweet, sweet ride that was.

if figan was around today, i think he would use a wall of text, not a discarded oil can.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #239
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Let me elaborate my position:

I am merely defining my idea of intelligence in an ISH forum. You're talking about some high level college master's while some of these guys would be lucky to get a GED, so if you have accomplish all that, then more kudos to you.

I am directly attacking guys like KevNYC who recites news articles verbatim as his own type of argument. I don't see anything special about this because a quick google search can find any counter argument to anything said in this discussion forum. I do agree with you that if someone is well versed in a subject, they can intepret it in their own words and add something new (the aha moment) with their own angle. That to me is intelligence: it shows the person as someone who has thought deeply enough and is educated enough to formulate a seminal idea rather than regurgitate (at best) what has already been said or (at worst) simply link to a news article using someone else's word.

I have a GED you c*cksucker
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #240
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stempel, HERB
of course u do cuz ure an idiot.

NEXT

shaqattack pollutes the nba forum with narcissim. he cant help himself from all those flavorless 10 paragraph posts cuz insecure losers like phoenixglove fawn over him. the massive length of his posts create the illusion that he actually knows wtf hes talking about. some guy rambling on for 3 pages bout his personal top 10 rankings in 2008 isnt smart. he likes the traffic from impressionables like alpha. rainierbeachphagg0t ran the same game cept he hit on religion and virtue. heroinattack aint got that platform.

Herb Stempel with internet access and memory techniques Would make Ken Jennings look like a fukkin autistic retard.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: