Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #106
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Absolute Smartest People on InsideHoops

I find it interesting that the more intelligent one is the more likely they are to suffer from depression...ignorance really is bliss.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #107
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kill the wise one!
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #108
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I find it interesting that the more intelligent one is the more likely they are to suffer from depression...ignorance really is bliss.
there might be many other factors in that though than just "boo hoo hoo, I'm so intelligent that I can now see what an awful existence this is"

I bet there is link between being phyiscally unattractive and smart...in that the "ugly dweebs and geeks" are the ones that hide behind books and studies and the good looking kids ar out partying and having fun...being social etc...(doubt there are any studies out there on this, just my guess)

the "genius kids" at my high school were the ones that got picked on...the physically attractive kids were much more likely to be partying and having sex rather than studying...

I am betting that the bigger factors in depression are how in shape you are, physical health...your diet...your social life...your spiritual outlook...etc rather than your level of intelligence...just my guess, I haven't read much on the more intelligent the more depressed, but I know those other factors I just listed are huge factors in brain chemistry...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #109
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
there might be many other factors in that though than just "boo hoo hoo, I'm so intelligent that I can now see what an awful existence this is"

I bet there is link between being phyiscally unattractive and smart...in that the "ugly dweebs and geeks" are the ones that hide behind books and studies and the good looking kids ar out partying and having fun...being social etc...(doubt there are any studies out there on this, just my guess)

the "genius kids" at my high school were the ones that got picked on...the physically attractive kids were much more likely to be partying and having sex rather than studying...

I am betting that the bigger factors in depression are how in shape you are, physical health...your diet...your social life...your spiritual outlook...etc rather than your level of intelligence...just my guess, I haven't read much on the more intelligent the more depressed, but I know those other factors I just listed are huge factors in brain chemistry...

Hmm, but we would want our smart people passing along their genes.

I feel like I've come across more dumb/ugly combination than smart/ugly.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #110
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

They actually have done many of these studies.

They show a very clear correlation of attractiveness and intelligence.

"Both in the British and American samples, physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general
intelligence, both with and without controls for social class,
body size, and health. Both in the UK and in the US, the
association between physical attractiveness and general
intelligence is stronger among men than among women. In
the UK, physically attractive men have higher IQ by 13.6
points, whereas physically attractive women have higher IQ
by 11.4 IQ points. These mean differences imply bivariate
correlation coefficients of r=.351 among women and
r=.414 among men. Physical attractiveness is more strongly
associated with general intelligence than any other variable
included in the equations."

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/Kanazawa/pdfs/I2011.pdf
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #111
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
They actually have done many of these studies.

They show a very clear correlation of attractiveness and intelligence.

"Both in the British and American samples, physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general
intelligence, both with and without controls for social class,
body size, and health. Both in the UK and in the US, the
association between physical attractiveness and general
intelligence is stronger among men than among women. In
the UK, physically attractive men have higher IQ by 13.6
points, whereas physically attractive women have higher IQ
by 11.4 IQ points. These mean differences imply bivariate
correlation coefficients of r=.351 among women and
r=.414 among men. Physical attractiveness is more strongly
associated with general intelligence than any other variable
included in the equations."

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/Kanazawa/pdfs/I2011.pdf
hmm..that is very interesting

I didn't think a study would exist because I don't know how you rate "attractivness"

and the genius minds out there are people like Steven Hawking...not Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt

it also doesn't go along with the typical "geek - jock" steriotype...or cheerleader vs. math club girl...etc
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #112
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Hmm, but we would want our smart people passing along their genes.

I feel like I've come across more dumb/ugly combination than smart/ugly.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #113
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
hmm..that is very interesting

I didn't think a study would exist because I don't know how you rate "attractivness"

and the genius minds out there are people like Steven Hawking...not Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt

it also doesn't go along with the typical "geek - jock" steriotype...or cheerleader vs. math club girl...etc

That is a very false preconception you have there then. You probably have a mental image of geniuses, who are often eccentrics. Then again, you can point to Hawking who has a severe physical illness as an "ugly", there have been plenty of geniuses throughout history who were well noted for their physical attractiveness. Julius Ceasar, Cleopatra: possibly the most well known man and woman geniuses of the ancient world were both noted for their physical beauty.

But the biggest crop of "above average intelligent people" aren't geniuses though. When you walk around a quality college you'll see a lot more attractive folks there than when you go see the latest Adam Sandler movie.

Last edited by LJJ : 06-04-2012 at 03:34 PM.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #114
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #115
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
That is a very false preconception you have there then. You probably have a mental image of geniuses, who are often eccentrics. Then again, you can point to Hawking who has a severe physical illness as an "ugly", there have been plenty of geniuses throughout history who were well noted for their physical attractiveness. Julius Ceasar, Cleopatra: possibly the most well known man and woman geniuses of the ancient world were both noted for their physical beauty.

But the biggest crop of "above average intelligent people" aren't geniuses though. When you walk around a quality college you'll see a lot more attractive folks there than when you go see the latest Adam Sandler movie.
right, when I think of great intelligence I get images of Hawking and Einstein in my head...and when I think of attractiveness I get images of Kim Kardashian and super models who are generally shallow people...

also the geek-jock stereotype would have the geek as smart/ugly and the jock as dumb/attractive

It makes sense though now that I think about that just being of "above average intelligence" would be more likely in physically attractive people because they are more likely to be active and out going which helps brain chemistry tremendously.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #116
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There's probably also an association between the similar paths that lead to both intelligence and physical attractiveness. Both require a certain degree of work ethic, application of knowledge, regiment. There's reason to think they'd be related.

The sort of people you're talking about are really extreme outliers. Someone like Stephen Hawking or Einstein was probably going to be pretty bright without much work ethic, just like someone who is the physical specimen of you're average leading man would probably be pretty good looking even if he was an insurance salesman. But both of those things represent ranges that overlap. All in all it makes sense that attractiveness and intelligence would be somewhat related.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #117
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
There's probably also an association between the similar paths that lead to both intelligence and physical attractiveness. Both require a certain degree of work ethic, application of knowledge, regiment. There's reason to think they'd be related.

The sort of people you're talking about are really extreme outliers. Someone like Stephen Hawking or Einstein was probably going to be pretty bright without much work ethic, just like someone who is the physical specimen of you're average leading man would probably be pretty good looking even if he was an insurance salesman. But both of those things represent ranges that overlap. All in all it makes sense that attractiveness and intelligence would be somewhat related.
That came to mind for me at first as well but when I looked to see how they rated "attractiveness" in the study I got this:

Quote:
At ages 7 and 11, the teacher of each NCDS respondent is
asked to describe the child's physical appearance, by choosing
up to three adjectives from a highly eclectic list of five:
“attractive,” “unattractive or not attractive,” “looks underfed
or undernourished,” “abnormal feature,” and “scruffy or
slovenly & dirty.” A respondent is coded as attractive=1 if
he or she is described as “attractive” at both age 7 and age 11
by two different teachers, 0 otherwise. I use this binary
measure of physical attractiveness as the independent
variable. 62.0% of all NCDS respondents are coded as
attractive.
Zebrowitz, Olson and Hoffman (1993) analysis of the
longitudinal data from the Intergenerational Studies of
Development and Aging shows that individuals' relative
physical attractiveness remains very stable across the life
course. Their structural equation model suggests that physical
attractiveness in childhood (measured between the ages of 9
and 10) is significantly positively correlated with physical
attractiveness in puberty (measured between the ages of 12
and 13 for girls and 14 and 15 for boys) (r=.70 for boys,
r=.79 for girls), and physical attractiveness in puberty is
significantly positively correlated with physical attractiveness
in adolescence (measured between the ages of 17 and
18) (r=.72 for boys, r=.70 for girls). This suggests that
physical attractiveness in childhood is correlated with
physical attractiveness in adolescence at r=.504 for boys
and r=.553 for girls.

at ages 7-11 I don't think we are putting forth a ton of effort in how we look...

I did consider that perhaps the undernourished/dirty scruffy/or very overweight kids come from parents that aren't very smart or give a shit about their child's appearance.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #118
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Me, Myself, and I. I already created my own social network.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #119
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The other thing to consider in the attractiveness/intelligence relation is from a genetic stand point. But more than anything I think it's more a social factor.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #120
Nanners
Good college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The "geeky nerds are ugly, dumb jocks are attractive" argument falls apart after high school.

Also, I live in the land of overweight people. fat (ugly) people with above average intelligence are pretty rare in OKC.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: