Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #181
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I don't know if this is the case with anyone else, but I have some insane knots in my traps. I was told it could be because of bad posture but I had that checked out and it was fine. Is there any stretches that anyone has found particularly helpful for their traps?

I had a PT mate loosen them up a bit since I strained my neck a little, but he said that the knots feel bigger than golf balls and he couldn't get them all out during the 15 or so minutes he spent getting some out.
foam roller should help. read up

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...1 423&bih=691
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #182
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I don't know if this is the case with anyone else, but I have some insane knots in my traps. I was told it could be because of bad posture but I had that checked out and it was fine. Is there any stretches that anyone has found particularly helpful for their traps?

I had a PT mate loosen them up a bit since I strained my neck a little, but he said that the knots feel bigger than golf balls and he couldn't get them all out during the 15 or so minutes he spent getting some out.

I agree with rezz. Read up on them and had a tennis ball, which is somewhat a good sub (especially for those really small spots that's really hard to attack) and it felt pretty good.

I usually stretch out my traps by grabbing on to something at abdomen height then stretching the neck out to the side and a bit forward. You can find your own sweet spot though.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #183
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Any time something is tight it simply needs to be stretched. Just find different stretches and get on a CONSISTENT stretching program and your pain will be more or less gone in a couple of months if it's just as simple as muscle tightness.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #184
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Been doing the bicycle maneuver ab exercise for a few weeks. Very effective ab exercise
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #185
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hooray for de-motivation
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #186
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What are some great things I can add to a protein powder shake to ensure I am getting about 10-15% of my daily carbs and (healthy) fats in the shake, too?

Aiming for the 5-6 smaller "meals" a day thing, with 2-3 meal replacement shakes a day.

Cheers.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #187
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
What are some great things I can add to a protein powder shake to ensure I am getting about 10-15% of my daily carbs and (healthy) fats in the shake, too?

Aiming for the 5-6 smaller "meals" a day thing, with 2-3 meal replacement shakes a day.

Cheers.

Sometimes when I'm not lazy, I'll add in frozen bananas. (Peel them and put the in the freezer, in a ziplock bag). Then blend it in.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #188
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Yeah my favorite shake is frozen banana, frozen blueberries, spinach leaves, protein.

I got my first 10K tomorrow, don't feel ready for it like I should so I'm hoping it goes well despite that.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #189
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just bought the Gold's Gym 7 in 1 Body Building System (the door frame pull up bar/perfect pushup/shake-weight set). Pull ups are harder than I remember since the last time I did them 5-6 years ago, but this should help me get in better shape (which I have progressively been doing for the last 3 months since surgery).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #190
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I'm still steady at 185. I lose or gain 1-2 pounds here and there. I've been doing BodyRock.tv and so far I'm liking it and the results.

I had the goal of dropping weight at first when I started getting back to fairly intense workouts. I dropped 10 pounds (from 190 to 180) and then stabilized. I was thinking get under 170lb, but now I'm concentrating less on the number on the scale and more on the general improvements in performance and body shape. I have been 180 for about 2 months now, but I have a much better "V" shape and I'm just more toned in general, so I am at least substituting fat for muscle, and thus the not caring about the number anymore.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #191
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72

Cheers.

If you have the mental fortitude to stick with that schedule, props to ya. hahaha

Anyway, I remember when I was desperate to gain mass, I used to add 6-7 bananas with my 2 scoops of whey and 500mL of milk. You could also do what sunsfan suggested. Very healthy and incredibly tasty (just make sure you could get a good powder. I suggest Dymatize.). All types of starchy fruits, berries, and even leaves should do you good.

Myth: You wanna trade? I've been steadily going up in weight and my goal for the year is to break 180 lbs, which I'm 8 away from. Started my journey at 158 last March. And yeah, I really think the mirror is your progress measurement tool.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #192
bergs14
J-Weezy

bergs14 is considered somewhat coolbergs14 is considered somewhat cool

Anyone got any tips for jumpers knee? (Patellar tendonitis)

I started getting in to good shape playing bball/football and the occasional weight session. Felt a niggle in my knee and kept playing on it for a while, got progressively worse, doc gave me the diagnosis and yea, basically all I got told was rest and ice. Done all the research I can on the net, but want to see if someone out there has had it/got it and if their methods work.

I hate not being able to run or play sports.
bergs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #193
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergs14
Anyone got any tips for jumpers knee? (Patellar tendonitis)

I started getting in to good shape playing bball/football and the occasional weight session. Felt a niggle in my knee and kept playing on it for a while, got progressively worse, doc gave me the diagnosis and yea, basically all I got told was rest and ice. Done all the research I can on the net, but want to see if someone out there has had it/got it and if their methods work.

I hate not being able to run or play sports.

For me, icing after has been huge. I also stay as flexible as possible. Lots of yoga and stretching. My physio showed me a great hip flexor stretching exercise that has really helped. I can try to explain it if you really want...
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #194
bergs14
J-Weezy

bergs14 is considered somewhat coolbergs14 is considered somewhat cool

Sure man, I'm all ears at the moment. It's been an on-going issue for me for 3-4 months now, and just ain't getting better. I've read doing squats to strengthen the quads etc and calf raises to strengthen the calves and lunges etc but just can't seem to find anything to help. I read the tendonitis is usually caused due to a muscle in-balance, and to fix it, you have to find out where the inbalance is or whatever. I've tried numerous things, mostly ice & rest, but I start getting a bit active again, like a slow jog or whatever, and immediately after I stop, I can feel it flaring up again.
bergs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #195
AirTupac
Mitch Kupcake

AirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirTupac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergs14
Sure man, I'm all ears at the moment. It's been an on-going issue for me for 3-4 months now, and just ain't getting better. I've read doing squats to strengthen the quads etc and calf raises to strengthen the calves and lunges etc but just can't seem to find anything to help. I read the tendonitis is usually caused due to a muscle in-balance, and to fix it, you have to find out where the inbalance is or whatever. I've tried numerous things, mostly ice & rest, but I start getting a bit active again, like a slow jog or whatever, and immediately after I stop, I can feel it flaring up again.

I've had it. It took me a while to get over it. I bought a brace but it didn't really help. I didn't feel like going to a professional so I did some research myself and read what you just said. I bought ankle weights and started doing various leg workouts and it has worked for me. This was back in highschool before I started legitimately working out.

Stretch and try to find some exercises you do at home, it helped me more than the doctor who told me that there was nothing wrong.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: