Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #226
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Just a year and a half? Damn, man, what weight did you start with? I feel extra amped to get more plates now. To think I was already happy with emptying my 245 lbs worth here.

Each of them alone would add at least tens of pounds on your lift. It's been said that all the gear pro powerlifters (above-mentioned plus wraps, pads, their singlet, etc) use can actually add a couple hundred pounds to their best lifts. Even without the gear though, those weights are amazing! I'm honestly still in awe of your raw 495.

I started deadlifting 90lbs.

In a couple of weeks, that was up to about 250lbs. And slowly over the last year and a half or two its just kept going up and up.
Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a belt, just to make sure everything is compact and tight, and possibly prevent injury on those big lifts.

I've found pyramid sets helped me the most with squats and deadlifts.

My GF recently actually convinced me to take progress pictures, and I have to say, its made me even more motivated. Not that I needed much more, since I've been going the last 3 or so years, but its definitely a new thing that keeps me striving for better. I'd post some progress pictures, but I feel only scrutiny and bad things would come from it on this forum.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #227
D-Wade316
F***

D-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputationD-Wade316 has a terrific reputation

I'd be lucky to break 350 in a year and a half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I started deadlifting 90lbs.

In a couple of weeks, that was up to about 250lbs. And slowly over the last year and a half or two its just kept going up and up.
Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a belt, just to make sure everything is compact and tight, and possibly prevent injury on those big lifts.

I've found pyramid sets helped me the most with squats and deadlifts.

My GF recently actually convinced me to take progress pictures, and I have to say, its made me even more motivated. Not that I needed much more, since I've been going the last 3 or so years, but its definitely a new thing that keeps me striving for better. I'd post some progress pictures, but I feel only scrutiny and bad things would come from it on this forum.
Do it.
D-Wade316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #228
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade316
I'd be lucky to break 350 in a year and a half.

Do it.

We'll see. If more people start posting progress pics, then I might join in.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #229
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
We'll see. If more people start posting progress pics, then I might join in.

Well, I did a couple pages back and no one gave a shit.

Wow though, I'm starting to think whether I took my progressions really slow or you're just that naturally strong. I started with 50 2 years ago but then found out I was doing them all wrong. I only really started doing good deads when I hit 165 last year around the same time. Cycled them in and out of what I do and just last June got a new set of weights so I decided to bring my lift up.

Have you read Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline? It's not that long a read and some people get irritated with his Evil Russian persona (I think it's hilarious though) but it has a lot of good stuff pertaining how use muscle tension to squeeze every bit of strength you have in a lift and also to lift injury-free, gear-free.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #230
plowking
Banned

Quote:
Well, I did a couple pages back and no one gave a shit.

Wow though, I'm starting to think whether I took my progressions really slow or you're just that naturally strong. I started with 50 2 years ago but then found out I was doing them all wrong. I only really started doing good deads when I hit 165 last year around the same time. Cycled them in and out of what I do and just last June got a new set of weights so I decided to bring my lift up.

Have you read Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline? It's not that long a read and some people get irritated with his Evil Russian persona (I think it's hilarious though) but it has a lot of good stuff pertaining how use muscle tension to squeeze every bit of strength you have in a lift and also to lift injury-free, gear-free.

I don't think your progress would be slow, it might just be because I'm a bigger guy at 6'3 and heavier? All kind of proportional, and I've always found my back workouts have progressed rather quickly.

My chest on the other hand is a different story. Took me forever to get over certain plateaus. Starting deadlifting all that time back actually helped me get over some of the chest plateaus.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #231
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Anyone know of any good circuits for cardio? Without weights preferred, moving around a commercial gym can get tough so i'll be doing circuits at home.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #232
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

^ Travis Stoetzel has awesome conditioning circuits/finishers that he calls "Thursday Throwdowns" on his channel and blog. Search up his name or "getitdonefitness" on YouTube.

Quote:
I don't think your progress would be slow, it might just be because I'm a bigger guy at 6'3 and heavier? All kind of proportional, and I've always found my back workouts have progressed rather quickly.

My chest on the other hand is a different story. Took me forever to get over certain plateaus. Starting deadlifting all that time back actually helped me get over some of the chest plateaus.

I'm 6'0 172, which is awesome for me having come from 158 last March. I also do find that pulls/pulling muscle are much easier for me to load up on that presses/pressing muscles but I do stick to a weight until I feel it get significantly lighter. And I remember reading somewhere that there's a certain inhibition mechanism in muscles that tries its darnedst to restrict a muscle from getting "too strong" as opposed to its antagonist, so maybe that's what happened to you.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #233
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just put up 300 lbs on the bench today (10 reps - I weigh 165). First time I tried anything above 250 and was surprised at being able to do it without too much trouble, meaning I probably should have been able to do it weeks ago. I used to always work out hard but I never pushed myself like I have been the past 2-3 months and I'm seeing really good results. I'm more ripped and stronger than I've ever been and weigh 25 lbs less than I did a few months ago. I think using Krealkalyn has contributed quite a bit as well.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #234
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I'm 6'0 172, which is awesome for me having come from 158 last March. I also do find that pulls/pulling muscle are much easier for me to load up on that presses/pressing muscles but I do stick to a weight until I feel it get significantly lighter. And I remember reading somewhere that there's a certain inhibition mechanism in muscles that tries its darnedst to restrict a muscle from getting "too strong" as opposed to its antagonist, so maybe that's what happened to you.
Any idea how I could gain 14 pounds in 9 months without the use of weights?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #235
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've gotten lazy. I went from 183 to 202 the last 2 months. I got back on my health kick today...

Losing the weight isn't the problem, it's the belly fat. I know you can't "target" belly fat per say, obviously you have to build ab muscles to get ab muscles when you lose the fat, but does anyone know of any methods to help get rid of the belly fat?

I heard eating a lot of fiber helps with this? If so how much? The daily intake is like 35-40 grams per day I thought?

Last edited by Meticode : 12-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #236
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've had a medium sized breakfast and big dinner (probably 500 and 1200 calories) for the last 3 weeks respectively during finals and shot up from 158 - 171 lbs.

What the f*ck? When I eat 4,000 cals I can't seem to gain a single pound. Something's up, and all this sudden weight gain. I"ve come to realize that I simply do not have the genetics, effort, or time to become big and bulky. So fukk it. God bless the bodybuilders in here and those who gain muscle easily kudos! Now it's time for a nice blend of flexibility, power, strength, and endurance.
I can still get a few inches past my forearm on the rim at 5'11" without any vert training. I can still run a mile under 6:15. and I can still deadlift in the mid 400's pretty smoothly good form no chalk. Time to ante up.

Doing Convict Conditioning right now mixed with some iron work.
Sunday:
Pistol Squat: Pyramid up to 5 reps.
Elevated Diamond PUshups: Pyramid Up to 7 reps.
Back Bridges: Pyramid up to 3 reps.
Sets of 5.

Feel an awesome pump. Not bad for 15 minutes and no equipment. May make this a staple. Skipping the gym and all those calories gives time, money, and mobility to be spent travelling and getting that $$$ and going out more often. God knows I could use that.

Tomorrow, aiming for 15 rock solid fast hill sprints.

Day after.
Deadlifts
Weighted Chins
and Military Press.

Keeping it simple and getting steady gains.

Gonna try to add more green veggies. They seem to have an incredible effect on the brain. Writing is coming out more lucid, fluid, and pleasant to read.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 12-09-2012 at 11:23 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #237
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I've gotten lazy. I went from 183 to 202 the last 2 months. I got back on my health kick today...

Losing the weight isn't the problem, it's the belly fat. I know you can't "target" belly fat per say, obviously you have to build ab muscles to get ab muscles when you lose the fat, but does anyone know of any methods to help get rid of the belly fat?

I heard eating a lot of fiber helps with this? If so how much? The daily intake is like 35-40 grams per day I thought?
Like you mentioned, there is no way to spot-reduce fat. For some people, as skinny as they get, the belly fat sticks around. The only way I know of to reduce it as much as possible is to keep your diet healthy (lots of fruits, veggies, fiber, etc.) and keep working on the abdominals. Some people have a harder time getting rid of belly fat than others, so if you can't then don't worry too much about it.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #238
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Like you mentioned, there is no way to spot-reduce fat. For some people, as skinny as they get, the belly fat sticks around. The only way I know of to reduce it as much as possible is to keep your diet healthy (lots of fruits, veggies, fiber, etc.) and keep working on the abdominals. Some people have a harder time getting rid of belly fat than others, so if you can't then don't worry too much about it.
We'll, I'm going to be doing a pretty good diet. Lots of fruits and vegetables to snack on during the day. Then on my bigger snacks multi-grain whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter, lean chicken. I found some Kashi cereal "Go Lean" that has 10g of fiber 13g of protein per serving, which which is double/triple to most cereals.

I'm going to try to incorporate as much fiber as I can in my diet.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #239
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Any idea how I could gain 14 pounds in 9 months without the use of weights?

A couple months of pull-ups, push-ups, pike push-ups/handstand push-ups (which I can't do yet either ), and hill sprints should do you good. If you don't know where to start, signing up for Zach Even-Esh newsletter would be good. He gets pretty intense and mostly does inspirational videos now, but it's all good plus he gives you a free guide to "bodyweight bodybuilding." I haven't tried following it to the T but a lot of stuff I do is similar (ladders, timed density sets, etc) and worked for me on a number of movements.

Oh, and EAT. I suggest you eat your HEAVIEST, BIGGEST meals at night. Have something light for breakfast. A couple eggs, some bacon, maybe an apple, but stock up on all the rice and starchy stuff at night before you sleep (which you should be doing before 12 at the very least).

I swear I've answered you a couple of times already before, but hey, whatever it takes to get you there, too.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #240
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is the new workout I've been doing. I feel I get a really good pump from it. What do you think?

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: